Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: babywise

I read it and followed it loosely also. There are some good ideas, and some off the wall seemingly cruel ideas! I took some ideas to try to get abby on a schedule and she was sleeping through the night since 8 weeks of age. She is now 14 months, and still sleeps though the night 12 hours! Every baby is different and different techniques will work for them. I found what was key for Abigail was that when she was thriving, I would give her her pacifier in the middle of the night instead of a feeding, and if she went right back to sleep I would too. If the pacifier didnt work, she was obviously very hungry and I would feed her. After about 3 days of this, the pacifier worked every time and on the 4th day she slept through the night, and it has stayed that way. I wouldnt try for a routine until the baby is thriving. Good luck! let us know what works for your little one!

Ezzo is not qualified to give advice on babies which to me is a problem. I don't believe in getting babies into routines when they are that small so I was never going to agree with much of what he has written anyway. Babies don't cry to manipulate people ... they cry because they need something from you and those cries cannot go unanswered. A baby cannot be spoilt from being picked up when it cries. They don't understand why you are leaving them to cry so the concept of "training" them doesn't quite wash.

That said, if people have read his books and found some tips which were helpful and worked for them, then well and good. I think it might be very much a case of take what you can use and leave what you can't.

Fee Guest

A friend of mine said this book and it's suggestions for routines saved her sanity! I had a quick flick through it at her house but didn't like some of the ideas. I guess it depends if you're really one for routines and CC or not. I guess it works for some and not for others! There's no harm in having a read I suppose.

This book IS harmful, that's the point of the dissociations that have ensued since publication! Many parenting organisations that normally don't engage in endorsements or not of products have made a point of discouraging use of this book.
    Do a google search and you will be presented with many reasons not to use the book. I read it, and to begin with it seemed to make sense. As I read on I realised the book was rubbish. Sure, some things may 'work', but not so much for the child as for the parent. Same goes for CC. There is no study anywhere to say that CC is NOT harmful, it's just something that is taught and done because parents get desperate in a society where they get left alone to figure their kids out (just the nature of our society where we likely don't know our neighbours or get involved with local families apart from a few hours here and there with kinder and school etc).
    Anyway, Ezzo has NO qualifications and his book is a scaled down version of his Christian book on the same thing. The aim of his book and teachings is to create pliant children who will be more conducive to 'Christian' teachings where they don't question, they just 'do'. Look it up, look into it, and please tell me I'm wrong! I looked into it last year, hoping to use the book as a source for some school work (studying grad dip in psych) and realised that the book has no cred whatsoever, and even the guy who 'co-authored' the secular version has distanced himself from it!!
    Yep, I'm against CC and separation of mother and child, however, there have got to be far, far better books out there where the author at least has a qualification that doesn't involved a revoked licence to preach to a religious congregation.
    The book reckons it is flexible, but from what I read the flexibility relates to maybe a half hour here and there in the 4 hour recommendation between feeds. There wasn't actually a lot more 'flexibility' involved.
    Consider this (and this can be read in the Summer edition of Kindred, complete with a references list from suitably qualified people), there is NO scientifically researched body of work to even suggest that CC is safe for children (not talking about parents here, talking about the long term wellbeing of the child), whereas there is a huge selection of articles and research that support attachment parenting, demand-feeding, immediate response to infants, baby-wearing, co-sleeping... Justify CC etc how you like, I'm doing what rings true to my own eyes and ears from instinct as well as sound research. Best wishes to anyone who uses the book and can find any value in it.
    Sorry about the lecture! This book made me so mad when it took me in initially. I suggest a bonfire for all copies of this book...!! And I'm not alone in that suggestion, many health professionals feel the same way...before anyone wants to have a go at me for my opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12