Thread: The Contented Little Baby Book

Default The Contented Little Baby Book

Just wondering if many parents out there have tried the methods of this book?

I believe it is pretty controversial, but I have a friend who absolutely swears by this book.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

nope i dont want to read it. strict routines for little babies are a huge worry to me personally - especially if it includes scheduled feeding - which can be lethal for BF bubs
    i also think scheduled sleeping is not the way babys as young mammals function optiminally as well - i believe you should sleep when you need to - not when you are 'told' to....

I read the book before I had Olivia and just the "tone" was enough to put me off, to be honest! I personally found the authors approach fairly patronising: I recall she even timetables when Mum should make a cuppa, LOL!!

As soon as Olivia arrived the books gathered dust and I just followed Olivia's lead........she was a contented baby all by herself without me doing any of the strict routines that the book suggests.

I then re-read it again, and with new Mummy eyes, I honestly found her approach appalling for me and my babies.....there was no way I could follow it........

I have since had Charlie and Lexie. All 3 of my babies have been what others would call "easy" in as much as they sleep and feed very well. I really believe they are this "easy" as I follow their cues, not a timetable or a stopwatch......

My suggestion would be to borrow a copy, read it, and see what your GUT reaction is........that will most likely tell you if it is the style of parenting you feel you can happily adopt.......

HTH........

I bought this recently - thinking that since I'd already read (and loved) Pinky's book "Sleeping Like a Baby" that I would make sure I'd read an alternative view, so that I was making an informed decision.

Personally, I hated it from the very first chapter. I found it patronising, rigid, not to mention you'd have to be pretty much housebound for it to work.

I have no doubt it works from some people, if it fits nicely with their philosophies of parenting, and that's great if it does work for them. But I'm pretty sure it will gather dust on my bookshelf

I have friends who followed the book because their brother did and said it worked. I also had it recommended to me by friends of friends before my first son was born. They said it had changed their lives and everyone in their street thought the same thing. I guess it does work for some, although it does surprise me that it would work for anyone.

Just like Caro and Lucy, I found (with both boys) that we easily got into a routine (prob took about 6 - 8 weeks), but it was definitely a baby-led routine. And in fact it was different for each boy, which makes sense bcos babies are all different. And also the situation is different in that Tom has a big brother who does certain things at certain times.

I have read the book and many others. My reading has covered both extremes (Gina Ford through to Dr Sears) and many in between. Having read "both sides of the argument" so to speak, I feel even more confident in my own approach and following my own instincts. I can also answer critics who tell me I should be doing such and such and can show that I am well informed in my decisions.

lindie Guest

Not too sure If I should post but....

We did the sleep guide with Jett and this really was a killer, we did adapt it a bit because I did feel it was really brutal, My grandmother was a matron in a top UK maternity hospital many years ago and she followed this apparently or they never would have made it through the night with so many babies before rooming in came about.

Enough said I did do it pretty much and our grissly little baby became a well rested, easy to settle little boy it took us honestly 2 weeks and I have documented the whole thing with his time of bottle , nap, settled, woke, meal time and how much he ate etc... and it did work really...I was sceptical but it really did work.

Whilst I know its not for everyone, we were getting up to him at least 10 times a night and sometimes it was taking about 1-2 hours to settle him each time so really we were living off no sleep, My DH has a corporate job and needed to sleep and our heart really was breaking by doing the routine but it did work, we are a happier family because of this, and Jett is a happier 1 year old too.

I tried pinkys book I really had tried everything and this is my 3rd baby so I did have a bit of experience but he really was out of control.

My heart of hearts hates babies crying and I tell you now it really will change you.

Lindie

Don't like it!! She doesn't explain things to well...I mean what DO you do with a baby who simply wont nap conveniently for 2 hours at 12pm each day?

Having said that. Paige has put herself into the routine described in the book naturally...so there is something to be said for reading your baby and NOT a book.

Lindie, just wondering if you followed the routine strictly? I haven't read the book, I have a friend lending the book to me 2morrow, but there is something that I am not feeling comfortable with. My friend said that the book says to not let the baby sleep for more than 45 minutes in the morning. I spoke to a nurse who said that it isn't at all advisable for babies to be woken up like this.

Again, I haven't read it so I can't make any decisions, but wondering if you would think that it would work with not doing this schedule?

i also like the suggestion of making an informed choice. do your own research as well as here:P
    if you google 'bawling babies blogspot' or 'risks of controlled crying' you will get some more info.research both sides. a pinky mckay article comes up 'the con of controlled crying'.
    lots of people recommend controlled crying and strict routines - but if you dont research it fully you may not realise the harm it can do, which is often convieniently 'left out' of the suggestions to follow it imo:P

lindie Guest

Oh my gosh... REally you need to do what suits you ideally, this book is a UK based book, life is a lot different over there than here, I dont know about everyone but I dont sit down to dinner at 5pm which is the suggested meal time, I eat about 6ish to 7ish most nights and we have 2 much older children so I just adapted it,

The day sleeps are no good for us as Jett doesnt sleep at all after about 1pm so saying that he is really tired and ready to go down at about 10am so he has 2 hours then instead then no arvo nap as he doesnt need/want one.

Also the night time routine is no good for us so we have dinner, he has a shower with dad (which isnt a wind down I tell you now...) and then a small (wearing out) play, then his bottle on dads knee and then we put him down at about 8pm not the recommended 7pm and if he wakes early we get up early.....read below,

Gina Ford recommends you have block out blinds (we dont we have verticals) and that you do a controlled down at 7pm up at 7am and not to differ from here. We had to we have kids and a life. We go out to dinner, the kids have later than usual night time sports etc... so its give and take. Also If Jett is awake and happy at 6am Im good to get up and go basically, I dont leave him to play in his cottie as that isnt much fun and I wouldnt like to be caged for an hour in the morning (maybe with a cup of tea and a good morning show.....)

But you need to just use it as a guide, every culture and country and child and mother is totally different. In italy the bubs stay up late enjoying life and have huge naps during the day, the are breastfed by mums that have a vino or 2 or 3....

Just use this book as another source then follow your heart, the only thing I did you strictly was the during the night crying because it was killing us. He co-slept till he was about 6 months old and this was fine as he was happy and content but It all went haywire and we got a new routine. We are now a happy family with a happy baby and thats what matters.

and your question was do I think it will work, well we did a deviation of the night routine and it works perfectly now with absolutely no crying or unsettling.

And we dont do the day routine because thats just not Jett's way so YES it will work,

BUT.....As you said you dont feel comfortable so dont do ANYTHING if you are unsure its too unsettling to start anything if you arent going to continue or try and keep pace with it. It will just confuse your baby.

Good Luck and if you want a copy of my notes and deviations with our baby I will happy email them to you....

Lindie

Ok thanks everyone for your replies, and thank you Lindie for helping me understand it a bit better. I will let you know if those notes will be needed

Mum2 boy

I read the book, and her suggested routines. I read them as a guide but dont follow them strictly at all especially where it mentions that the baby must not be fed by a certain time. I follow a really loose routine with Julia she sets her own routine which is 3-4hourly feeds and last feed is usually 6pm unless she wakes up at 9pm which is maybe once a week if that.

I read the book and took some of the advise, I have a 5mth old baby who has been in a routine from day one. She has slept through the night from 12weeks of age. She has always been a happy child.

You do have to adapt a routine to your own child though, as some of the suggestions in the book did not suit Elly.

Our family are exetremely happy with the routine, but everyone is different.

I haven't read it. My suggestion to you is not to put too much emphasis on books. There are stacks of books like this one - 'how-to' guides on babies. The problem that other people have mentioned that I found is that babies are all different and parents are different too. I have found that Natalie and I are happiest when we are relaxed. In the beginning I was so stressed about how the books said to do things that I was too scared to enjoy my baby. I've since relaxed about that stuff and have followed my instincts and we are both happier for it. Good luck!