Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: control crying

maggie Guest

OMG, just put DS into his cot,, his eyes opened the minute i placed him in, but then he closed them, i am praying he will stay asleep.. i must admit i did feed him before putting him in as he seemed very hungry.. last night he fell asleep all on his own in his rocker, so he does know how to go to sleep without being rocked to sleep,, just hope it improves....

julesy Guest

Wink

Maggie-
    I meant to say too, that no matter what their age, I was told that consistency and reading tired signs is the key. My bubs knows that getting wrapped, rocked for a few minutes and a dummy in her mouth is the 'switch', and she literally relaxes and falls asleep within minutes of putting her in her cot. I am lucky too, in that her tired signs are incredibly obvious (ie yawning and rubbing her eyes!), so we manage to catch her before she becomes overtired. If she is overtired, it is very difficult to relax her short of giving her a nice warm bath and lots of cuddles.

I hope your boy stayed asleep for you!!

Julesy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Exactly Julesy, learning the cues is the key - crying is a sign that they are past it and once they are, they are harder to settle. Pinky McKay has lots of information in her articles and books about learning the cues. I think its a major part of this and it is something everyone can do and can start doing anytime. If you are consistent, they will learn no matter what age.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

maggie Guest

i am off to the library today to get Pinkys books to read today...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Great, let us know how you go! Start with Sleeping Like a Baby
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Maggie, I think as parents we are guilted into doing what is best for everyone else and not neccessarily ourselves or our babies. I think that today their is that much information bombarding us that the obvious becomes clouded and obscured by this persons thesis and that persons study. The key is consistancy and doing what YOU think is best. If your happy to cuddle/rock/feed bub to sleep and he is sleeping, why change it?
    I have been having babies for the past 11 years and in that time things/fads change so quickly. When I had my first Daughter 10 years ago, things were so different to when I had my son 6 months ago.
    10 years ago CC was the thing to do. Now adays it's almost like a public beating if you say you might consider CC as a parenting option.
    I have tried it and like most things I adapted it to suit what we felt comfortable doing as a parent and it worked, for all of them so far. ( We did it very similarly to Julesy)
    Although we really don't even start til bub is atleast 9-12 months old. that is, if needed.
    However like anything some people take it to the extreme and don't reseach at all before trying something new and alot of people don't take the time to be consistant and stick with the program as "it's just to hard" and alot of mothers are scared of being judged by others and will take the road most travelled in order to conform with what is acceptable in their circle.
    I co sleep with my babies until they let me know they are ready to move out and I have an open bed policy, but I do set bounderies and teach rules from very early so they grow with them. I'm not going to go right into how we did it but I will say that I have never had any of my babies vomit from being worked up that much or left alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123