Thread: dinner party ideas please!

Cool dinner party ideas please!

Ok guys,

Im having a dinner party for 8 adults next weekend and need some help with the main meal!

For entree I'm doing potato and leek soup, and I'm also making Tamara's famous roast vegetable salad! (yumm)

For desert Im having custard ripple stacks (custard, choc ripple biscuits, stacked in a glass cup)

And I am totally stuck for a main. Please nothing too expensive or difficult. thanks lovelies

What about roasted lamb shanks either done in the oven or SC and they would go with the roast veg salad? or lamb or pork cutlets with a nice marinade or seasoning on them?

Hi Danni,

The first thing that came to mind was roasted chicken pieces with a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, rosemary and garlic...Just brush it over the top of the pieces a couple of times while they cook.

Your entree and dessert sound delicious!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Can you eat Philidelphia cream cheese? If so what about stuffed chicken breasts? What you do is cut a pocket in the chicken (a slit in one side) and then stuff it with cream cheese (I like to use the little squares of flavoured cream cheese) and thinly sliced mushrooms. Pan fry them until they are golden brown, season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven on 180 degrees for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and allow them to rest.

I usually make a sauce of spring onions, sour cream and then thin that a little with milk. But with your intolerance that probably won't do. Ummm you could do a cranberry glaze.

1 jar of cranberry jelly
    1/2 small onion diced (you can used dried onion flakes)
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp tomato sauce

Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan, allow to gently simmer until sugar has melted. Serve warm.

Serve it all with mashed potato and whatever other veg you want.

Otherwise, why not one of the many hearty meals in the SC thread? Or you could make the beef and guinness in your SC and then make them into individual pies. If you put the beef mix into ramekins and then put a puff pasry lid on that (grease the edge of the ramekin, make a small slit in the top and then glaze with a beaten egg), bake until pasty is puffed and golden. Maybe serve with chunky fries and again whatever veg you want.

Lamb shanks or Ribs in the SC? Or a nice piece of marinated meat that can go onto the bbq or slow roasted in the oven? If you go to a good butcher they should have some really nice pieces of meat pre marinated and stuffed they even have bbq & weber friendly pieces of meat these days, so if you get something like that it saves you time in preperation. I'm also thinking a nice piece of greek marinated lamb would go great with roast salad...

*hugs*
    Cailin

you guys are the best!

Bec: I was going to do stuffed chicken breasts but worried that it might be too much chicken with tams salad? Do you guys think so?

If you think its ok, what else can I stuff chicken with? I cant eat philly cheese What about sundried tomatoes, olives, mushrooms?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Can you omit the chicken from the salad and just leave it as a roasted veggie salad? Yup I reckon you could stuff it with what you said as long as you know your guests will like all of that stuff.

I was thinking the lamb shanks too when I first read it... SC lamb shanks on a small amount of mash.

If it's not too late, I tend to make part of the meal the day before. So I'd suggest you do some sort of bake in a white/cheese sauce - just something to make the day before that looks impressive that you just put into the oven on the day.

Here are a couple of easy ideas:
    Brocolli and Salmon bake
    You need: brocolli (100g/person), salmon (1 fillet/person), potato wedges (2-3 potatoes/person or oven wedges, 100g/person), cook them all then add them to a pie dish, top with a cheese sauce with some parsley in, needs to oven bake for 30mins on the day.

Fish Pie
    Fresh fish, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, mash potato, white sauce.
    Add the uncooked fish to a casserole dish, then add the cooked carrots, peas and sweetcorn. Cover with a white sauce of medium thickness. Put the mash potato on the top - again, needs 30-40 mins in the oven on the day.

Veal steaks with thickened cream....

Beat veal with mallet. Coat in flour, salt to taste.

Fry in oil.

Take out of pan and pop the veal into an oven baking dish. Add a whole carton of thickened cream, depending how many veal steaks - maybe buy two cartons.

Bake in 180 degrees oven for one hour.

Delicious.