Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Putting your pets on raw foods for a longer life...

Kelly
    Thanks for asking. I thought that i had posted in here what happended, but, must of forgotton.

The night that i wrote my last post regarding Chelseas progress, we decided that we had to do what was best for Chelsea. She really wasnt coping very well with the heat, and we where terrified of her having a heart attack or something as her body tried to cope. It was difficult to see her in so much discomfort.

So, i took her to the vets, and we had her put to sleep.

To anyone else that may get to this situation. I highly recommended staying with your little furbabies while this is done. It was difficult, but, at the same time, very peacefull thing to do. It was comforting for me to know that her last moment where peaceful, and calm, and that she went to sleep being cuddled by someone that loved her.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Oh Debbie I am so sorry, but also pleased that Chelsea had a peaceful passing. Love to you and your family x
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

We are looking at buying a dog on Thursday. I think we will start him on the raw foods from day 1 at home. The cat I am considering putting on raw foods, but she knows how to open my linen cupboard and sleeps in there on my clean linen. Would she be likely to make everything in there filthy if she is eating raw food?

Cats will still shed and get dirty but they have less dry skin and things like that. Simby is black and has the silkiest coat. It can take some time (simba was on it no probs from day 1) but be patient, it pays off. They look healthy and are healthy - he's never sick except when he gets himself hit by cars!!! Start slowly if you like, simby loves his raw egg, has one a week. The others arent keen but they are into everything else.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

ps. Did anyone see that show on ABC a couple of weeks ago, it was a current affairs show, they found 100-200 Australian pets that had developed distressing neurological problems which they traced back to a Canadian dry food which was supposed to be high quality. They approached the company, the company blamed Australian quarantine or whatever for having to radiate all foodstuff that come into Australia which in turn poisoned the pets (i.e. couldn't stand, fall over etc). Look at it any way you want, it is poisoning our pets... and who cares about our furbabies???? Liver treats are a much better alternative, you can get them from pet stores, I even give smaller broken up pieces to my cats and they love it. Liver is good for them
    Kelly xx

Kell do you think she would be likely to drag it into the linen cupboard?

The food? Can you not close it? If the cat isnt touching the food after 5 mins put it away in the fridge with glad wrap or whatever, so you can keep an eye on it too. Chicken necks sometimes get dragged out the bowl in this house but not much further.
    Kelly xx

I might have to feed her in the kitchen once the girls have gone to bed. It is a sliding door and she can open it. I can pull her litter tray out and close the laundry door when I feed her.

I know how it is, these cats are too clever for their own good sometimes, its frustrating!
    Kelly xx

One of my cats used to take the chicken necks under the bed, so it is possible she'd take it to the closet. My puss has grown out of that habit thankfully.

I am impressed at how cheap it is to get the offcuts and bones for Alf!! I spent $10 at the butcher and there is enough for a fortnight!! He is about 10kg so he should have about 200g per day and 1 fasting day according to the website. I accidentally gave him too much yesterday, and half of it is still sitting there so 200g should be plenty!! So he is about $5 per week to feed.

if you have a lennards available, you can get minced chicken frames for quite cheap as well. I get them for about $1.50 a kg.. I have a 7month old puppy, that eats a kilo a day, and my older dog is on 400 -500grams a day, so, i go thru abit at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    ps. Did anyone see that show on ABC a couple of weeks ago, it was a current affairs show, they found 100-200 Australian pets that had developed distressing neurological problems which they traced back to a Canadian dry food which was supposed to be high quality. They approached the company, the company blamed Australian quarantine or whatever for having to radiate all foodstuff that come into Australia which in turn poisoned the pets (i.e. couldn't stand, fall over etc). Look at it any way you want, it is poisoning our pets... and who cares about our furbabies???? Liver treats are a much better alternative, you can get them from pet stores, I even give smaller broken up pieces to my cats and they love it. Liver is good for them
    The Origen pet food issue had nothing to do with Australian quanantine unfortunately. It was incorrectly balanced. So for the dog food, there were too many of a particular amino acid which caused life threatening illness. For cats, there was NO taurine which is vital for their existance and would cause neurological illness. Its unfortunate that it even got though to the shelves in Australia, because once it was found out, sadly pets were lost. It was sold in the supermarkets where alot gets passed off as "pet food" where it obviously doesn't have to meet any standards.

Alioops - what about feeding her on the floor of the cupboard and line it with newspapers?

Christy, She likes the second shelf too. I have a few boxes of cat junk food here so I will let her finish that first and then switch her over. She is a fusspot though

Alf is doing really well on the raw foods. I weighed him yesterday (probably shouldn't have but needed to) and he is 16kg!! Oops, big underestimation on my part!! So I am topping him up with the girls left overs each night. Based on the 2% of his body weight he should be having 350g per day!! He has heaps of energy though and is not doing many poos that I have found so he seems to be doing really well with it!! He really is a ball of muscle though so one could be forgiven for the underestimation

i know this thread is quite old, but I just wanted to add that if you have a dog that seems to suffer from itchy or dry skin, constant stomach upsets or dirty ears, it could well be an intolerance to wheat. I have a dog with an intolerance,and she has been on raw food since she was 11 weeks old. She is so much happier on raw, and it's so easy to feed. I also feed two of my other dogs raw food and they have much better health since being on raw. Shinier coats and overall health.
    and, just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the book "Real Food for Dogs and Cats" is also a very good book to get your hands on if you are interested in raw feeding.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456