Thread: Spitz breed - anyone else?

Talking Spitz breed - anyone else?

Our gorgeous doggy is a pure bred Samoyed. We just adore and love him to bits...

While i was brushing him today, i came across a bit of an issue. And it made me think i wonder if anyone else here has a spitz breed of dog? As it would be really cool and helpful to talk to other spitz owner's and lover's

Last edited by Papillon; March 28th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

Yes I have one. I was just cutting out the poo from her coat...whaddya want to talk about??

Mines a shtzu X Llasa Apso

Oh gorgeous, how old is she?

Oh you know day to day stuff.. also i have come to find his pants and tail are quite knotted and really struggling to get it out.... so was hoping for some tips..

lol

TELL me about it!!!! Thats why I am cutting out POO. Yuck.

Ruby Tuesday is about 6. She looks more like a St Bernard puppy right now. I'm a terrible doggie mumma lately. She needs to be groomed very very badly, in fact I was just coming in to post was a terrible doggie mumma I am .

She needs clipping about 3/4 times a year, I had a girl that used to come and bath/clip her on a regular basis then the silly tart moved and I have never gotten around to finding a new one. I have got pretty good at clipping her with scissors (her face disappears after awhile!), but it's never as good as a good grooming job. Actually we often give her a little mohawk and have used leftover hairdye from DD on the mo (never touching her skin tho), so she is sometimes purple....

BUT how I know I suck is that Rubydoo was rolling in the sun yesterday and I noticed heaps of dreadlocks all on her underside and a HUGE one down her front. It's awful and I feel badly . She got into the cat food so now her pants have POO stuck to her and I'm generally CRAP.

I love her pants when they are poo free, they crack me up when she walks!

Ah yes... the good ol' dried poo to the pants... We have only had our boy 7 months, so was/am still learning on how to groom him. In december 08 we took him to a groomer, and i asked what do i do about the poo in his pants, and they suggested just trim around his hole and that should solve it. Then the next day we took him back to his breeder for a bit of a reunion, and cause i wanted to meet his mumma. Well, i sure got told that clipping him was a mistake and that if he ever had poo there again to just wait till it dry's and brush it out! so, wont be cutting his pants again.... i miss how beauitful they used to sit. AND NOW, they are matted

While the kids were playing at the park today, i had him up on the table, brushing away. He HATES it, so it is really difficult. And i have been so slack over the last few months so i need to stay on top of it to make him used to it.

I just don't know how to attack his tail and his pants

Might ring one of the breeder's i know, who is always great at giving me tips. He isnt J.P's breeder but, is so helpful.

EEWww. It's gross. Ruby's pants were already too long for her - I'm keeping her clipped rather than show dog length cos she is too much of a grot. Just keep brushing it.
    Regular grooming should do it. I found these EXCELLENT treats at the supermarket but haven't seen them for awhile. Just little soft treats, but I fed them to her whilst on the table and she was really good.
    Now she growls when I'm around her feet....dammit.

But if they are inside dogs, how can you have them with POO DAGS??

well that was my question... and the breeder said, well if your feeding them right they wont have them. Only reason they get them is due to poor diet.

PFFFFFT.

I very quickly let that go in and out ma' ears lol

I might try the treat thing... he loves his treats

Hell yeah - my stupid dog eats possum poo and cat poo...I KNOW thats not the best diet but I can't do much about it......

Hi! I have a spitz breed too. My boy Akeida is a Japanese Spitz and I adore him . He's about 3 1/2 years old now, but I still often get asked at the park if he's a Samoyed puppy, lol.

My Akeida boy

Papillon, what your breeder said about not ever clipping a samoyed is right on the money. Any dog with a double coat, like samoyeds, japanese spitz, pomeranians etc, you should never clip their fur. It just never grows back the same. You know how you see those two types of pomeranians? The ones with the lovely smooth sleek hair, and then there's the ones with the hair that looks like fairy floss? Well the smooth ones have never been clipped, whereas the fairy floss ones have been clipped and that's how the hair grows back.

Luckily my boy is really good with his fur. Despite the house looking like it's snowing when he sheds, I'm lucky because I only need to brush him about once a month, and he only gets a bath once or twice a year (that's the most that's recommended for his breed). I have a friend whose dad breeds samoyeds, and apparently they are a bit more high maintenance than my boy so I don't envy you there. Akeida once got quite knotty in his tail and pantaloons (lol) after he jumped in the creek while he was going through a shedding cycle before I managed to brush him. He was rather unco-operative with me trying to brush the mega knots out, so I slathered a huge amount of doggy conditioner the area until it was all slippery and combed it out while it was super soaked up with conditioner. Then I just washed it all out afterwards.

With persistence and as your dog gets older you'll probably find that it becomes a lot easier to brush. I think Akeida has just given up fighting his brushings and figures that I'm going to do it whether he likes it or not, lol.

Good luck!

OH MY GOD Krysti- He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

We should have a play date

Im gonna have a go this weekend on his pantaloons....

He is sick atm actually... he is vomiting daily, bit off his food and looks sad. I think it may be he is just a bit stressed from the move and change in home, and this has caused him to be constipated. We got him to do #2's last night, and he finally ate this morning and i havent seen any spew today so im hoping thats all it is..... i will be watching him though. Poor wittle man!

I love the jap spitz, they are so beautiful.....

Krystie, so the coat thing is the same with my Llasa Apso X ****zu? If so, DAMMIT - because her coat is a TOTAL PITA. The first few times she was groomed they just scissor cut it and her coat was nice and smooth, but after a horrible muddy winter with her the new groomer offered to just clip her and I just thought it would be easier .

I mean her coat is awesome for its "unstainability". She could roll about in black mountain mud and look like a drowned rat, but as soon as it dried and she shook off - her coat looked brand new! Its was terrible for the floors though.

I feel terrible, she is so long overdue for grooming, she has dreadful dreadlocks and you can hardly see her face. I clean her up a bit when I can but its not enough. She likes to look pretty but you can't give her a cuddle she is do whiffy. Bills keep coming in and it keeps getting put back

I'm such a bad fur mama