Thread: Warning on killer puppy virus

Default Warning on killer puppy virus

From The Age

Dog owners have been warned to vaccinate their pets following an unseasonal outbreak of the life-threatening parvovirus.

Veterinarians across Australia have reported an unusually high number of winter cases for the dog and puppy disease.

In Victoria alone, vets have reported about 50 cases of the parvovirus, which is fatal to puppies in about 80 per cent of untreated cases.

Dr Graham Swinney, from the Australian Veterinary Association said today the most frustrating element of the outbreak was that the virus was highly preventable.

“Every single puppy or kitten in Australia needs to be vaccinated against deadly diseases," Dr Swinney said.

"This is much less expensive than treating your pet after it gets sick and saves the heartache of losing a new family member too soon."

Common signs of the disease are severe vomiting and bloody diarrhoea.

AVA Victorian president Bill Harkin said the increase could be attributed to new record-keeping systems but was also due to lack of awareness of the benefits of vaccination.

‘‘Once the vaccination levels drop below a certain point, all of a sudden you have enough susceptible individuals to ensure disease will spread,’’ he said.

Dr Harkin said parvovirus killed puppies relatively quickly but older dogs could be stricken with the illness for days.

‘‘It’s a devastating disease ... the animals they die in misery.’’

Thanks for posting Kazbah.
    I also wanted to add that parvo is very very contagious. It is known to live in the environment for a long time (years). And it is a very very painful way to die - the intestine basically disintegrates which causes the bloody diarrhoea. Please vaccinate your doggies!
    (Also it is very different from parvo in kids)

We had a dog that caught parvo while at the vet. The vet felt so bad he stayed with him all night to make sure he was ok. He made a full recovery but no some instances it is absolutely devastating and what it does to the poor dog is horrible

We lost a dog to parvovirus. I think I remember mum saying that if a dog dies from it, the disease itself can hang around in that yard for a few years after?

I think it can live in the soil clover, for about 5 years or so. I don't think it matters if the dog dies from it, if a dog with parvo is in the yard then it will hang around. Disinfecting everything is really important because it is so easily spread.

And even if your puppy has been vaccinated, don't take it anywhere or meet other dogs until the vaccine has had time to work, I think it's about 2 weeks?

Parvo is just awful...but I think the vaccine is pretty effective isn't it?

I am a vet nurse and unfortunately I think the reason that the Parvo virus is becoming more common is that people can not afford to get their dogs (and cats) vaccinated. We send out reminders 1 month before a vaccination is due and in the last year or so we see less and less people coming back for their pets booster shots. It is sad but some people have more important things to spend their money on and it is the animals that get put on hold.
    We also saw a huge amount of dogs with Flee allergy dermatitis last spring/summer because of people not been able to afford flee treatment. It is unfortunate that it happens and the problems we see as a result are sometimes horrendous.

My dog had his yearly shots just the other day, $93 inc kennel cough. I think that's fairly reasonable considering it could save his life or at least help prevent him from getting really sick!

TBH, and tell me if I'm out of line...but I don't think spending $100/year (I understand cost could vary between practices but I would assume they would all have fairly similar pricing) on vaccinations for a family pet should stretch the budget that much. If they can't afford that, then they probably shouldn't have the animal at all...or pay the price for not having it done, that price being the dog's life. chances are if they cant afford vaccinations then they probably can't afford the treatment if they get sick either.

Quote Originally Posted by ss_storm View Post
    My dog had his yearly shots just the other day, $93 inc kennel cough. I think that's fairly reasonable considering it could save his life or at least help prevent him from getting really sick!

TBH, and tell me if I'm out of line...but I don't think spending $100/year (I understand cost could vary between practices but I would assume they would all have fairly similar pricing) on vaccinations for a family pet should stretch the budget that much. If they can't afford that, then they probably shouldn't have the animal at all...or pay the price for not having it done, that price being the dog's life. chances are if they cant afford vaccinations then they probably can't afford the treatment if they get sick either.
    I completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there that no matter the costs they find a way to pay.

Vaccination isnt always a guarantee that they wont get the any of the viruses either. Our pup had a virus a few weeks back and wasnt due for her last vax til now. The vet told us vaccination isnt always a preventative, it just determines who has a better chance of survival. Lucky our girl is a tough one. Has been going round my area though.

ETA : Just thought Id offer up that she was completely quarantined from other dogs so we have zero idea how she got it, esp as we dont go to the park/walking at all in the past few months where dogs would poo. We think it may have been due to someone in our townhouses dumping dog poo randomly up and down the driveways.
    Last edited by Freya; July 8th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Freya - you could have been unlucky enough to walk it in on shoes. You wouldn't know really.