Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to the Sunshine Coast...

oliviasmum Guest

Smile Moving to the Sunshine Coast...

hi! Hubby and i are moving to the Sunshine Coast in Jan 08 for his work - I am really excited but slightly scared as we don't know anyone up there. Can anyone recommend any great playgroups or mum's groups up there? I have a little girl, Olivia, who is 7 months (but going on 16 already!)

Belinda (29yo)
    Olivia (dob: 12/05/07)

Belinda welcome to BB Which part of the Sunshine coast are you moving to? It stretches from Caloundra right through to Noosa, about 45 mins from end to end, and then into the hinterland. If you give me a general location, I can recommend some groups for you.

oliviasmum Guest

Not sure where we will be yet (all has happened so quickly!) But he will be working in Maroochydore - so we won't be too far from there... I have such a great mums group here in Sydney, will miss them so much, so hoping to find another fab mums group/playgroup up there!

Hi there, I'm on the Sunshine Coast also, and my husband also works in Maroochydore (we live in Nambour). I don't belong to a mother's group or anything, but would be interested in meeting up for coffee or whatever if you like :-) Good to at least have one good friend already established in a new place!!! :-)

oliviasmum Guest

Hi Aricyn's mum! For sure, meeting up would be fantastic - I knew joining this site would be great - i have heard that everyone on it is so friendly and helpful! Olivia and I will be joining hubby by the end of January - he heads up just after xmas and is in charge of finding a place ..oh dear!!

Wish him good luck in finding a place - from what I have heard, rentals aren't easy to find.. so many people moving here you see!!! :-) But then again, those people that have told me, have been looking on the immediate coastal towns (ie, mooloolaba, coolum, maroochydore, caloundra) and I haven't heard anything about further inland (ie nambour). We brought our house 2 years ago, and it is still one of the cheapest places on the coast to buy - doesn't have the best reputation, but DH was born here, lived most of his life here, and we haven't had a problem so far!!!! :-) Let me know if you need anything, more recommendations, rental agencies, etc... :-)

oliviasmum Guest

You are a star - thanks for your help/suggestions... might be good for us to look slightly inland - been having a look online for rentals and i dont think it will be a fun job! Will definitely have a million questions to ask you... trying to tie up things down here - all so hard with xmas around the corner! What areas do you think we should try to avoid'?

Hmm.. thats a tough one... I've lived in Caloundra and Nambour, and have lots of friends that live all over the coast... depends what your budget is really!!!!!! Buderim in really nice - but wayyy to expensive for us!!!!! Plus, you would probably want to be as close to Maroochydore as possible. Its a 20 minute drive for DH to get to work, which isn't too bad. we only have one car, so on the days that I work, I drop him off at Maroochydore, and then drive to Coolum (which is 20 minutes north of Maroochydore). However, if you looked at living in Coolum, the traffic is SHOCKING of a morning and will take you about an hour to get into Maroochydore. Our run from Nambour is not that bad, so I would say areas like Buderim (5 minutes from Maroochydore) or Forest Glen (also close), Glenview, Palmview, places like that are nice, forest like, and not as many people. Can't really say any to avoid, all of the sunshine coast is nice, but for us, its a matter of finding places that isn't overcrowded!!!!! We don't like a lot of people around us, and we like the fact that we can look out upon trees and hills behind our house.. even though we live in the middle of Nambour...

oliviasmum Guest

ohhh that is great to know re: traffic etc... I will definitely have a look at the areas you suggested - we have to make sure we are no more than 20mins from Maroochydore... I am with you - i like to have space around us and not to be in an area too crowded... I guess we will see what is out there - we can't be too picky if the rental market is tough up there!

Now the new bridge is open its not so bad going south to Maroochydore - maybe 20mins from Coolum, 15 from Marcoola.

Ailsa C Guest

Hi there Belinda
    Myself, partner and baby (William, 7mths) are also hoping to move to the Sunshine coast, from Perth, if he can find work. Please let me know how you get on and perhaps you could offer some advice once you are settled. Good luck with the move!

Hi Ailsa
    What kind of work does your partner do? I can recommend some sites to go to that are good for sunny coast job ads if that is helpful.
    Good luck with the move.
    Mel

oliviasmum Guest

Hi Ailsa, will definitely keep you posted - we are moving to Buderim next monday - all exciting (but very daunting!) just want to get there now! Will definitely keep you posted with how we go about settling in etc. Got so much to do in the next few weeks - look for some part time work, find childcare etc etc. Can't wait to get up there though. Good luck with your move - let me know how you go ! And just give me a shout anytime if you have any questions etc.

hi mel - How are you going ? Hope you had a great xmas and new years. We have finally found a place (you were right - the rental market was a nightmare (especially hard doing it from sydney!). If you could shoot thru the job websites that you mentioned to Ailsa that would be great (i need to check some out to!). Belinda
    Last edited by oliviasmum; January 13th, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Ailsa C Guest

Hi Mel
    He is a Civil Foreman (mainly roads and carparks), hoping to work in the Sunshine coast area and not do a Fly in - Fly out position. Any help would be REALLY appreciated. We are told there is alot of work there but it's a bit scary coming over with no contacts! Lovely part of the world though - we want a nice property perhaps a bit rural (horses?) but near enough to the coast so he can surf!!
    Thanks for your kind offer - I look forward to hearing from you,
    Ailsa x

Ailsa C Guest

Good Luck Belinda, Hope you settle in quickly. Keep me posted!
    Ailsa x

Ailsa, I quizzed my DH (he is an architectural technician) and he said that the big developers up here on the coast usually have their own inhouse type of structure for those jobs. You could try just looking on seek (you could try east coast recruitment - they do a lot of office jobs on the coast but not sure if they go into construction?!?) and also on a website, my sunshine coast, it has an employment section on it too. HTH!!!!

Belinda - those websites go for you also.. how are you finding the coast so far? I'm gathering you are here now???

oliviasmum Guest

hi Mel - hubby is already up there - Olivia and I are getting there on weds morning - i am surrounded by boxes at the moment - nightmare! Really excited to get there though. Sorry, but another question for you - do you know of any great babysitters that you can recommend or if there are any occasional child care centres etc around? While i job hunt etc i may need a sitter/occasional child care etc - if you could recommend anyone/or place that would be great. tks heaps! B x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast