Thread: Anyone had Preterm/Premature Rupture of Fetal Membranes in 2nd Trimester??

Jennifer617 Guest

Default Anyone had Preterm/Premature Rupture of Fetal Membranes in 2nd Trimester??

Hi everyone, I posted my story last week in the "your stories & emotional loss after miscarriage" titled "MY STORY- miscarriage at 18 weeks". I lost my 18 week, 3 day old baby on Feb. 17 due to Preterm Premature Rupture of Fetal Membranes. My water broke suddenly and they told me the baby could not survive without any amniotic fluid. We are still waiting on test results, even though they told us they may be inconclusive. I'm just wondering if any of you have had a 2nd trimester miscarriage due to Preterm Premature Rupture of Fetal Membranes (PPROM)? I've done some research and found that it could be a number of things - inflammation, infection, incompetent cervix, etc. However, it seems like a lot of the times they cannot find a cause. And they say it is more likely to happen again for women who have already experienced it. This terrifies me!! Any feedback from any of you who has experienced this or knows someone who has experienced it would be so appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

Jennifer

Hi!
    I don't know if this is really my place.
    But my mother had PPROM with my younger brother at 18weeks. She was in hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy, and was on antibiotics, steroids and valium to stop her from going into labour, and had to have washouts of the uterus every 4 hours. She said it was horrible 3 months. But was all worth it because even though my brother was born 6 weeks premie, he did survive.
    I don't think they did find the cause for it though.. although i know the placenta became detatched and kept reattaching causing alot of scar tissue. but i'm not sure if that caused the PPROM, or was a result afterwards
    I'm so sorry to hear about your bub though!!!
    if you want, i could talk to my mum about it more and see if they did find a cause.

*hugs*

~Tei

Honie Guest

Hi Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and can understand a little of what you are going through. I lost my daughter Angel in November 2006 at 22 weeks 6 days due to pprom. I had a slow leak which went unnoticed and when I was suddenly admitted to hospital with bleeding and severe cramping it was too late. I was already in labour. Our beautiful girl lived for 3 hours before earning her wings.

Test results and a post mortem could not explain why this happened and it was put down to being just one of those things!

I have done a lot of research myself and now I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second child and (just like you) I am terrified of the same thing happening again. Unfortunately I dont have any answers to help you as I am asking many questions still.

I am at a loss as to why I have not been deemed a high risk pregnancy due to my past experience, my age (40) and the thyroid condition I have. And am very concerned that because of this I will not be monitored as closely as I would like. I also find it extremely unfair that the medical profession expects us to go through this twice before they deem us to have a history and take closer care.

I guess I will just have to be a real Pain in the Butt to doctors ob/gyn etc and ask lots of questions and push for what I feel is best for us.

There are many happy stories out there that follow an expericnce such as ours and that is what I will cling to for now. I am trying my hardest to think positively and reassure myself that we will soon have a healthy baby in our arms and I wish that for you too Jennifer.

Hugs
    Leonie

Jennifer,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it is a devastasting thing to go through and the second pregnancy I felt was worse. I lost my baby at 24wks I am not sure if it was called PPROM as I had contractions prior to the waters breaking. I went through a second pregnancy absolutely terrified as I was convinced it would happen again. But as you can see from my ticker I have a beautiful girl who was born 3wks early but is perfectly healthy. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and although you have been through it once it does not mean you will go through it again. It is often impossible to know why it happened (which I know does not help) but you need to think positive about the next pregnancy. I basically did everything different, changed my diet, exercise, vitamins and even my moisturiser!! Anything that i could think may have caused it I changed. Just take things easy, look after yourself and keep in regular contact with your clinic. ALL pregnancies are different - mine certainly were.

Take care and good luck with everything, Tess.
    Last edited by Tess; April 10th, 2008 at 08:09 AM.

Honie
    I am sorry to hear of your loss and sorry to hear that your health professional will not treat you as a high risk case. I think you should get a second opinion about that as I lost Thomas at 24wks and my second pregnancy was monitored on a fortnightly basis until I reached 30wks. I am amazed they are treating you as though this is a 'normal' pregnancy especially with your thyroid problem too.

Go get some other advice especially as you are concerned. I am sure all will be fine and that the reason they say high risk after two losses is because most woman only experience one loss. But I am sure that does not help your concerns.

Good luck honey, I am sure everything will be okay but it doesn't hurt to get an extra scan or two. It is nice to see bubs growing too!!
    Tess.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have not had to go through what you have been through but my sister in law lost her little girl at 21 weeks due to a premature rupture of membranes (she had a slow leak from about 15 weeks).

She fell pregnant 6 months later and went on to have a perfect pregnancy with no complications. Since then she has also had another pregnancy with no complications and now has 2 healthy daughters.

I wish you the best of luck and again, I am so sorry for your loss.

stanas Guest

I am so sorry about your loss and unfortunately know what your going through. We lost our baby girl Ava at 18 weeks 4 days due to PPROM.

I had bleeding for 5 weeks before the waters ruptured and cramps and clotting the week prior. I was in hospital when I noticed I was leaking at about 17 weeks. After a scan they sent us home to wait and go into labour, which didn't happen till 11 days later with some help.

I have an appointment in a few weeks with ob/gyn to hopefully get some answers. We are still waiting on tissue test results. (It has only been 3 1/2 weeks since we lost her.)
    I have read though that if it is incompetent cervix that they can put a stitch in between 10 and 14 weeks. Might be worth asking about.

You will be in my thoughts and I hope so much that all goes well with next pregnancy.

Stanas XXX

Ava Lesley, 18 weeks 4 days
    Last edited by stanas; July 8th, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding icon

Just when you think you're the only one out there where this unfair thing happens to you... and you find this forum and see there's (unfortunately) many more like yourself. I lost my little boy Jesse on April 25th this year... He was 21 weeks and 5 days... I woke up after my husband and son Billy went to the Anzac Day dawn service and after going to the toilet a whole lotta blood appeared... By the time I got to the hospital I was in labour, and 3 hours later little Jesse was stillborn. He was perfectly healthy inside, for some reason i haemorrhaged and passed away in the birth canal. I may have a had a slow leak in the 5 days leading up to the birth (I thought it was just incontinence like what I got in my last pregnancy plus I'd only had my 20 week scan the week before and everything looked perfect). If this was the case it usually doesn't bring on any bleeding but the waters breaking. I'm going in for blood tests in a couple of weeks but I don't think they're gonna discover anything (I PRAY that they do). Apparently I had that strep B strain thing. After I gave birth I got infected and apparently that was due to the strep b invading me everywhere in my (now empty) uterus. Can anyone tell me much about strep b?

We don't know what happened or why but there's gotta be something wrong with me. Especially when my first born come at 25 weeks and 6 days pretty much in the same circumstance (early one morning after going to the toilet I haemorrhaged). Thankfully he's an energetic 6 year old now. My daughter Ava, who's now 19 months, come at 37/38 weeks and poor Jesse was just too early. I'd love to have another baby but not sure we can go through this again (especially the kids) since my stats so far are 1 in 3 going full term, not real good odds.

Big hugs to all of you out there who've lost their beautiful angels... This forum has been really helpful to see how other mum's that have gone through this have had successful pregnancies afterwards.