Thread: Any ideas for herbal remedies for IBS whilst pregnant....

Unhappy Any ideas for herbal remedies for IBS whilst pregnant....

Hi im hoping Alan can help me here....
    I have suffered from irritable bowel syndrome in the past, but it did clear up after a course of prescribed medication. According to dates of my cycles i am just over 12 weeks pregnant (first u/s next week).
    Last night i was suffering really bad with my bowels contracting, this was causing extreme discomfort and pain. So i rang my GP this morning and he said i cant take medication for this during pregnancy. However i am concerned as this is my first pregnancy and i dont want this to cause any problems to the small little bubba growing inside me.
    So my question is, are there and herbal/natural remedies you can take to ease this during pregnancy that will NOT harm the little bubba.
    thanks
    from
    georgette and martin

Perhaps seeing a nutritionalist or dietician may be able to help you create a IBS and preggie friendly diet so bubs is getting the yummy foods it needs and the IBS is controlled or lessened? That's all I can realy recommend I know u can take IBS herbal tablets but i really do not know if anything in them is harmful for unborn bubbies sorry

Hi Georgette
    I agree with CelticMoon. I think that diet is probably the best way to go. I don't know of any herbal remedies for IBS. If you tell me the name of the medication your doctor suggested I can tell you how safe thay are when pregnant

Smile

Sorry, the doc didnt suggest anthing, he told me i couldn't take any medication.
    Before, i was taking mebeverine and ranatidine. After i messaged last night, DH ordered an indian take away (SORRY TMI) AND I FEEL much better this morning.
    I had blood tests taken on wednesday, and my pregnancy is at last showing up in my blood. It is at 3324:4 i should get the results of second BT this afternoon. I cant believe how long it took this pregnancy to show up. My last AF was in february. Bt were negative a few weeks ago, and i only got a true bfp with claer blue digital a couple of weeks ago. I guess everyone is different i suppose. I have my first scan on the 17th, so should find out due date then.
    Thanks guys
    georgette and martin

Thanks Niass I Will Contact And Find Out

Hi Georgette
    Ranitidne is usually used for gastric / duodenal ulcers and for reflux. It is safe to use when pregnant

Mebeverine is a category B2 (Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the foetus having being observed. Studies in animals are inadequate or lacking but available data shows no evidence of any increased occurrence of foetal damage.) So should be safe to use after discussing it with your doctor.

i suffer with ibs and i got an aloe Vera drink from forever living products you only need to take a tablespoon twice a day morning and bedtime its not the nicest stuff in the world but mine went completely and you feel great after drinking it ild swear by it and its totaly safe to take while pregnant it actually is very good for you while your pregnant.

i think you can buy it in the health food shops it wont be the forever living products one as the only sell through person to person. but if you get it in the shop make sure it does not contain the outer leaf of the plant as it is not good for you when your pregnant .

hope it eases off for you

Hi Georgette,
    Agree with Niamh - re: Aloe Vera juice. It's actually not even bad to drink.
    I also find that Inner Health Plus helps keep everything balanced - and I have to lay off the cheese (that may just be me though!)
    Good luck - most big chemists have a naturopath on staff that can help with questions.
    Take care,
    LJ

I found aloe vera juice in the supermarket it's yummo

is the Aloe Vera juice from the supermarket the same potency as the ones from the health food store?? and did you find that it worked the same?? - sorry to intrude - but I'm suffering an attack of IBS at the moment and I'm going in sane

I didn't know it was used for bowel movements it just looked like something different to try lol, i cant recall my toileting habbits after drinking it sorry!!

I have some more information on Aloe Vera for you

I drank it my self for IBS and its been great ive been pain free for nearly 4 years its only just come back and no were near as bad as it was but i haven't drank any gel since this time last year . so back on it again.

I have lots of information on it i was going to post it here but there is just to much but if any one wants to read it let me know here and ill email it to you.

just a few bits of info
    Aloe Vera help regulate your body, it heals has anti inflammatory and anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. when using it for IBS it cleans out the bowels improves absorption of nutrients from food regulates the bowels and takes away pain. it has no know side effects

How to take it
    You should ideally take it first thing in the morning before breakfast about 2 tablespoons and before you go to bed.

it make about two weeks to see a difference all depends on how bad your IBS is i found when i was having a bad episode i took a small glass and it got rid of the pain with in the hour . alway check that the juice your buying that aloe is the first and foremost ingredient and it does not contain the out leaf of the plant as this contains toxins that can cause diarrhoea in elderly and children plus the toxins are not good for early pregnancy .
    if it doesn't contain the outer leaf it is safe to use by every one

hope this helps shed some light on aloe
    naimh

Thanks Niamh - gotta get myself some of this Magic Aloe -