Thread: Article for anyone who hasn't had symptoms of, but are worried about, miscarriage

Default Article for anyone who hasn't had symptoms of, but are worried about, miscarriage

If you've had an ultrasound that shows the baby is healthy, and you haven't had any signs of possible miscarriage, you almost don't have to worry anymore. Yay!

[
    Symptomless miscarriage rate lower than thought
    Fri, Mar 14, 2008 (Reuters Health) - For pregnant women without symptoms, and who have ultrasound evidence that their fetus is viability at the first prenatal visit, the risk of subsequent miscarriage is less than 2 percent — well below previously reported rates — according to a large study conducted in Australia.

The overall risk of miscarriage once a woman knows she is pregnant is 12 to 15 percent, the researchers note in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology. Even after ultrasound has confirmed that the fetus is healthy, studies have shown that early miscarriage rates can be as high as 12 percent.

However, no studies have exclusively investigated the miscarriage risk among women without symptoms, such as vaginal bleeding or lower abdominal pain, Dr. Stephen Tong, from Monash University in Victoria, and colleagues point out.

Tong's group conducted a study with 696 asymptomatic women carrying one fetus who attended their first prenatal visit between 6 and 11 weeks of pregnancy. Ultrasound exams documented fetal cardiac activity.

Eleven patients (1.6 percent) had a miscarriage before 20 weeks. The risk was relatively high at 9.4 percent among the women who were 6 weeks pregnant, falling to 1.5 percent among those who were 8-weeks pregnant, and less than 0.7 percent from 9 weeks onward.

The study was conducted in a regular prenatal clinic, "not a specialized early pregnancy clinic or an ultrasound department," Tong's group points out, and none of the attending physicians who performed the initial ultrasonography had any formal subspecialty qualifications.

"Consequently, we believe that our data could be extrapolated generally to health care providers provided that they are able to offer office ultrasonography to confirm viability at that visit," the team surmises.

Ford's group concludes that, for asymptomatic women who have their first prenatal visit between 8 and 11 weeks of pregnancy and do not have pregnancy risk factors, "our data may be useful as a counseling tool to reassure such women at the end of their first prenatal visit that their risk of loss is already very low."
    "For pregnant women without symptoms, and who have ultrasound evidence that their fetus is viability at the first prenatal visit, the risk of subsequent miscarriage is less than 2 percent ? well below previously reported rates ? according to a large study conducted in Australia."
    Last edited by Phteven; May 16th, 2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: removing link -pls see forum guidelines

wouldn't help me either

not to scare anyone I had no symptoms all was going great saw :heart: at 6 weeks started spotting at 10 weeks baby had passed at 9 weeks so nope no help to me

i saw HB at 7 and a half weeks last time - the little heart stopped beating that same day.

I too saw h/b at 10w3d, but 2 wks later, bubs had passed at 11wks.

Another one who fits into that 2%.

For me, we saw a lovely heartbeat at 6 weeks 5 days... two weeks later I was back in my FS's office being told that my baby had died. After that, I don't think I'll ever believe that things are ok. I still had nausea and sore boobs, despite the fact that my baby had probably been gone for a week.

BW

Didn't help me either.

Thank you for the article Blackstar sometimes anything with a bit of positive can be comforting.

Yes, thanks Blackstar. It's information that could be very reassuring for women who haven't experienced m/c, particularly a missed m/c, but are still feeling very anxious in the first trimester. All power to the researchers at Monash in their work on m/c.

Wishing you smooth sailing through your first trimester! Lots of

StephV Guest

Thanks for the article. I'm taking it as a positive sign of things to come. Anything that can help ease...even a little...scary thoughts is all good in my book!