Thread: Bleeding during pregnancy

Default Bleeding during pregnancy

Hi there,

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and a little worried.

Last Thursday I found blood on a visit to the bathroom! I left work and headed to an emergency appointment at the radiology lab where they did an UltraSound. To my complete relief I saw the developing baby and all looked good. The heart beat was measured at 162beats which i'm told was very normal. The scans were sent to my doctor and yesterday (Monday) she confirmed it was nothing to be alarmed about and it could infact be related to my period as this is the due time.

Anyway. This morning to my horror I visited the bathroom and the blood was like nothing I had experienced before. I was completely freaked out. I visited my doctor on an emergency first thing and she checked my Cervix. She told me everything seemed to be fine and the blood maybe something else!. The bleeding has slowed but it's still here and still causing me a huge amount of stress!. It's Tuesday today and i've been told to wait until Thursday before I should go for another UltraSound.

I don't know how I feel about this other than scared. Bleeding of this kind can't be normal surely my Cervix is under stress!? whats happening ??????????????

This is my first pregnancy and no-one knows about it so over than my Husband so feel a little isolated!

Thanks for listening
    Ella
    x

Ella, bleeding in pg is reasonably common and doesn't always indicate a problem. Sadly, it is possible that there is a problem, but there are plenty of us here on BB to attest to the fact that you can bleed during pg and still carry a healthy baby to term. I hope you can relax enough to get by until Thursday, I know it's a long time to wait. Otherwise, can you try and get an u/s any earlier?

Best of luck hun, I hope that everything is fine.

Hi, I have had bleeding in all my pregnancys to varying degrees. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and really thought I was going to lose this baby on a couple of occasions. There really is not much you can do but rest, feet evelvated as much as possible, I was on bed rest for weeks, you really have to be strict on yourself and stick to resting everything else can wait, it is a bit depressing doing nothing but most of these problems sort themselves out by the end of the first trimester, in my case slightly longer the longest being 17 weeks. My problem is the placenta tears away from the uterine lining, these type of tears heal fairly quickly the key is not to allow the tear to become to large eg:rest!!!! You will worry, but US only ease your mind for the short term the best thing you can do for yourself and baby is try and relax as much as possible. Easier said than done I know!!!! Not long now until your next scan, then the 12 week one not much further. I wish you the very best of luck, loads of girls make it.

Dear Ella,

Hope all is going well. I had a similar experience to you, with spotting from 5.5 weeks through to nearly 9 weeks, with a big sudden bright red bleed then a few more days of spotting. I must admit I was petrified about what that meant. Multiple scans through that time all showed a very healthy little bub - with a similar heartrate to yours. We never established the cause of my bleed, like you I thought, surely that can't be good. I was advised to take it very easy & rest through till 12 weeks - which did the trick, and I made it!

I would recommend asking the doctor about activity levels. I was told later (not straight away) to avoid doing anything strenuous, minimise activity & not DTD. I don't know if that made the difference, but I figure it can't hurt to take it easy (I think there's different schools of thought about whether it makes any difference).
    I think it's great that the heartrate was there, and bubs looks good. You didn't mention having any pain which is good too (so saying, my friend had massive cramps in her first trimester, and she turned out fine too).

Hang in there, post here to keep yourself sane, I know it's heard not to stress (particularly when others don't know yet). Good luck with the u/s today - I'm thinking of you and sending big good luck vibes and

Cheers,
    Belfie

Hi Ella,

I'm thinking of you, I've experience the same thing and know how stressful it can be. Like Belfie, I too was told not to have sex until 12 weeks as it contracts the uterus - have other people been told this as you hear such conflicting things? Although I must admit that the bleeding has stopped since, so maybe there is some truth to it!

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your responses to my stressful time.

This last week has been so eventful. I have been through the greatest emotional rollacoaster and i'm very sure you all understand

I had my second scan today and to my surprise the baby has grown to 2.11cm from 1.47cm and has a heartrate of 182. We even saw it moving about a fair bit. The bleed isn't coming from my uterus as far as they could see. Instead outside my ueterus alittle away there is a bleed. They don't know what it is and said it is a risk still and I need to take it easy. I feel so anxious but for the sake of the baby I am trying to not think about the negative and instead focus on the positive. 3 weeks until the 12 week mark and the next scan.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with the location of the bleed? is it something I have done to cause it?

Thanks for your sweet words
    Ella
    x