Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloodtest?

Default Bloodtest?

Hi Ladies
    Was just wondering how far along everyone was when your doctor done your first bloodtest?
    Today I am 4 weeks and 1 day pg, I got my first BFP yesterday, and today I went to my doctor for a bloodtest and she wont do one for another 2 weeks.

Debbie Lee Guest

Really? She didn't say why?
    I haven't been to the dr. yet but I'm going tomorrow. I'll be 4 weeks and 6 days. I would hope that I'm getting my BT.
    I think I was around the same time when I got my BT done with Gab.

Smile

I had to wait till I was 8 weeks pregnant with both of mine, not sure why

Hi Debbie
    No she didnt say why, she just said "your only 4 weeks along, we might leave the bloodtest for a couple more weeks"
    Just a bit disappointed as I really wanted the confimation of a bloodtest.

Debbie Lee Guest

Can you go to a different doctor? Just seems rather odd to me.

Hey Emma

I got my bloods done the day I went to see my doctor and I was.... 3w6d I think.

Maybe go to another doctor if you want that sort of confirmation

Yeah I thought about going to another doctor but the one I go to now bulk bills.
    I have to go back there tomorrow with my FMU as they want to do a urine test, I think I will tell them I want one sooner and if I cant I will go somewhere else.

Hi emma
    Congrats on your pregnancy!
    I had blood tests last week (admittedly i did not know exactly what for save for iron studies as i have an iron loading disorder and wanted to know how high my iron levels were to ascertain which vitamin supplement I can take). Subsequent to my having the test after reading the posts on this forum I assumed it would include a test for HCG levels.
    I went back to dr last night to receive results, she had not tested for HCG levels. I queried why and she too said she would like to wait a few weeks to test the levels, i go back for another round just before i see my ob for first appointment on 13 December.
    I (again) asked whether the home tests I took and the urine test she took (3, tests in all, all positive) were reliable enough and she indicated that they were!
    Don't know that my response really answers your question.
    Good luck.
    Cheerio
    Belinda.

Hi Veronica,
    Well its definetly not to early for a bloodtest if you got yours at 3w6d as I am 4w1d. See what happens tomorrow, if she wont do it earlier I will go to another doctor for sure.
    Thanks.

Thanks Belinda,
    Another thing was that she didnt talk to me about ultrasounds (when to have them etc) or anything to do with ob's etc. Maybe she just wants to wait for the bloodtest and results. I dont know, just not what I was expecting I guess.

Emma, we didnt talk about u/s or obs or hospitals on the first visit but we did once the blood tests came back. If you doc doesnt talk about it on your next visit make sure you mention something!

Debbie Lee Guest

Considering some maternity hospitals fill up pretty quickly, you don't want to leave it too late to get the ball rolling with everything.

Hi Emma,

I just wanted to say that my GP didn't order any blood tests. She did a pregnancy test and said that was confirmation enough. She said to wait until I saw my Ob as he would have specific blood tests he would want done. My Ob has since given me a referral for BT for all sorts of things - Hep B, Hep C, HIV, Rubella, Parvo Virus and another 7 things.

Emma she may do a blood test if your urine sample doesn't show up on her test.
    I had a blood test done to confirm mine but only because it didn't show up on her test but it had on the ones at home.

I didn't find out about scans until after the bloodtest was done.

Hi

I went to the doctors this afternoon too I did one hpt yesterday afternoon at 9dpo and it was very very faint but +ve and anoher one this morning and it was +ve I am 4weeks today if you go by the first day of you last period and she said wait til the 6thof dec til I'm 6weeks and then to test again and if still +ve to come back in she said she thinks it will still be +ve but so many women lose their babies at this early stage so they don't bother testing anything til 6weeks

It sucks though I was think well there are over 6billion ppl in the world and some had to be preg with each of them so give me the benefit of the doubt!! It is discouraging I think because to me deing preg and thinking I could be and the gp treated it like a common cold or something! I can't wait to show so it all feels more real!

and to start having tests and appt's and things even though I hate needles more than I can explain I think I would almost feel reassured by one at the moment!

I forgot to mention she just looked at the tests I had done and said yea your preg she didn't even do another test to confirm all she did was a pap smear
    Last edited by Jas; November 22nd, 2006 at 05:15 PM.

My GP also didn't do a test, I really just went to get a referral. He said it was best to let my Ob do it as he would have his own 'pet' things he likes to check for. Indeed, my Ob did test for a whole ream of things I wasn't expecting, at about 6weeks.

I wasn't at all worried about waiting, I'd already done three HPTs so I knew I was pg! My GP said that three wouldn' t be wrong!

ETA My GP also didn't do a urine test, he was happy to take my word for it.

i had a bt when i was 4 weeks 6 days and had u/s at 5 weeks 6 days due to spotting and i didnt knw how far along i was i had another u/s at 7 weeks 1 day to see how it was all goin as i had a subchrionic haematoma they wanted to see if it's gettin smaller now i have to wait till i go see dr at hospital on the 12 dec so i wont know when i will be having any more u/s or bt think i might go to my gp as he said he would do a u/s wen i was 12 weeks to see if bub is ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast