Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloodtest?

When I asked my doctor about bloodtests, he told me he normally doesnt do them early as he doesnt see it as necessary... He said a BFP on a HPT is enough for him to agree that i am pregnant. I didnt have any blood tests until I was 9 or 10 weeks, which was the test the hospital wanted so they could know what my iron, blood type and a few other things were like.

All the times I've been preggo (all 4) I've only ever had a blood test to confirm it once, and that was the first time which was 9 years ago now.
    HPT's are so sensitive and accurate now that many doctors don't do blood tests to confirm pregnancy - if you've had a couple of positive HPT's that's good enough for most.

They don't usually run the standard pregnancy bloods (checking blood group, immunities etc) until 6 weeks or later.

I know it seems like a bit of a letdown but it's not unusual. One thing I would be on to though is your referral to the hospital especially if you're going private. Depending on where you live it can be difficult to get in with certain OB's and certain hospitals even if you try to book at 6 weeks. I went private with my last baby and had to book in at six weeks.
    Congrats btw!

That's good to know that It is actually completely normal, it made me a bit insecure!

Hey
    My first blood test is tomorrow @ 6wks 2days. My GP wanted me to wait. On first visit she checked when my last pap test was and during the blood test she is checking for Hep, etc. We didn't talk about ultrasounds or anything. I wouldn't worry - i think they just don't want to overwhelm us at such an early stage in the pregnancy.

Hope this helps

Koby

Thanks for all your help ladies, feel better knowing that other doctors wait til the 6wk mark too, guess all doctors just do things a little different.
    Dropped my FMU out to my doc today, so I guess once she gets the positive she will give me a little more info about what to do next.
    Congratulations on the BFP Jas.
    Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12