Thread: Changing Dates from Scan - a bit worried.

Default Changing Dates from Scan - a bit worried.

Hi Everyone

Bit of background - I had an early scan (due to having a previous ectopic) at what I thought was 6 weeks 2 days (I charted so thought I new when I ovulated). The scan showed I was 6 weeks 1 day so didn't think much of that.

I then had my first OB appointment yesterday when I was either 10 weeks 3 days (my dates) or 10 weeks 2 days (from early scan dates).

The whole thing was a bit of a disaster. The OB wasn't there as he was sick (fair enough can't help that!). So the midwife did my history and then the sonagrapher did a quick scan (his wife). The scan showed that I was only 10 weeks.

Should I be worried that each time I go I am loosing days???? Its really concerning me. I did see the heartbeat (172 bpm) and the baby was moving around constantly, so I guess that is a good thing.

The other thing I'm really concerned about is that I wanted to book my nuchel fold scan. They made the booking for the 2nd August, which by my dates makes me 14 weeks 4 days, or by the earlier scan 14 weeks 3 days. By the scan yesterday it would make me 14 weeks 1 day. Either way - this is far too late to do this scan. I know that it needs to be done between the 11th week and 13 weeks 6 days. I said to the receptionist this is too late and she said no - its cutting it fine but its OK and kind of fobbed me off.

The other thing is that I won't be actually seeing my Dr till I'm over 15 weeks pregnant. I can't handle that as being pregnant is not a good time for me after loosing my first baby all I can think about is bad things and I need reassurance.

I'm so upset and I don't know what to do.

Liss first of all ring them back and change your scan date. If they can't then see if you can go somewhere else as they shouldknow it needs to be done before 14wks.

I would also wait until the next scan and see what tho ey say for dates. Please try not to worry to much about it.
    I've also had my dates changed twice and am waiting to see if they change them again at my next scan.
    Also you said she only did a quick scan well she could have got it wrong.

Ultrasounds, while having a reasonable time frame will never have accurate dates. Having said that, I would definately be moving your nuchal fold scan earlier as well as your Dr appt. Just because the nuchal fold test does have to be done during a time frame and pushing to the end will not do. If you are unable to get help from that receptionist, phone you Dr & insist.

My scan dates have always been out. The 2 I had with Matilda put my EDD at 1st June and the 5th of June my LMP put me at the 3rd. Matilda was born on the 17th June. This time my LMP put me around the 28th October, my first scan did too but my second scan put me at 15th October, a huge difference. I'm keeping the first EDD but know that many womens cycles differ and some have a 38 week gestation and others have a 42 week gestation. I wouldn't worry about the scans as far as EDD's go, but as far as the nuchal fold I would definately push for it to be done a week sooner.

Thanks girls. I'm not concerned about the changing dates from an EDD point of view. The baby will come when its good and ready. I'm more concerned that there was something wrong in that I'm loosing days all the time. Like maybe the baby wasn't growing right or something.

My DH rang the OB (I was too upset to talk). They tried to tell him again that doing the scan after 14 weeks was OK, but I know that it isn't. (Thank God for Belly Belly - too bad about the people that don't have this wonderful resource). Anyway DH insisted so I have now been referred to a different doctor for the scan.

I'm really really upset (sitting at work bawling - can't stop) about this situation, as it feels like I don't have a Dr looking after me. I won't be seeing my so call OB till 15 weeks which just seems too long. I haven't even gotten any blood test results back to know if I'm OK for rubella etc. I feel really upset as I chose private care cause I knew I would be a nervous wreck and thought a private OB would be more understanding, but I guess not. At least if I was going public it wouldn't be costing me a small fortune.

I have rung my GP and am waiting to hear back from her. Hopefully she will have some ideas on what to do.

I just don't know if I can see that OB anymore after all this. But then its probably too late to book someone else.

Gee I wish I could stop crying.

Thanks again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Have you thought about a private midwife? You can get such wonderful, nurturing care and physical and emotional support that you don't get many other places You need to feel cared for and nurtured - if you birth feeling unsupoprted and isolated it's not going to be a good thing and the outcome can be effected... I know a fantastic midwife in QLD who usually does homebirth but would do it in hospital too I imagine. She's just beautiful, the way she teats a woman in labour. I wish she was closer or I would definitely be booking her!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

goldilocks Guest

Awww Lis sweetie, my heart really does go out to you :hugs:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a doctor looking after me either. I have been jerked around by doctors in the past and have decided to be looked after completely by midwives for my birth. I could have had a private OB but I really didn't think it was worth it in my situation. I'll be giving birth at a birth centre with no intervention from doctors whatsoever and I wouldn't have it any other way!

It's hard when you feel like there's no-one looking after you at such an important time in your life. It sounds like your DH is wonderfully supportive...I'm happy that you have him to lean on when things get you down. And yes, BB is the BEST! I would be completely lost without it

Maybe look at getting a private midwife as Kelly suggested? Just remember that it's never too late to change your mind, hon. If you're not happy with the level of care you're getting, then find someone who will look after you, whether it's another OB, a private midwife, etc!

Huge hugs, honey...please hang in there and cheer up!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

My due date as of my last period was 9th September.. my dating ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days was 8th September and my scan at 18 weeks showed to be around the 4th September. But with all those dates the hospital is going by the first date of the 9th September. Those scans are only going by the size of the baby and how fast its growing. I dont think a few days either way is something to be concerned about as rarely are babies born on their due date. Dont stress too much..

Ohhh - it sounds like a tough time. Dont stress too much about the drs - hopefully your GP will help you out.
    I'm sure its not too late to change to public care if you want to. Generally speaking my experiences with the public system have been very good (alwyas a few exceptions) and there is no point in being mucked around pillar to post by people you are paying!
    The Nuchal test does need to be done when you said - and I'm sure it must be horrible having people tell you that you dont know what you are talkingabout! I'm sure your GP could give you a referral for the test if need be - I got my U/S referral from mine, and she would have given me any other referrals I needed.

I hopet hings come right for you soon - you dont need all the extra stress in your life!!

Hi lissd,
    See if your GP can give you a referral to have the scan done at the Mater, they are really good there. If you're going private, you may have to pay, I'm not sure, but public the scan is done for free, and they will definitely do their best to get you in that 11 - 13 week timeframe.
    HTH,
    Karla

I'm doing shared care between the Royal Women's hospital in Brissy, and my GP. My GP told me the NT scan had to be done between 11 weeks and 13 weeks 6 days, and all the reading I've done has said the same thing, so not sure what's happening with your ob??

I'm booked in for right on 12 weeks, and that was the earliest they could do at the hospital, and as I'm going public, I get what I'm given. I had DD there, and couldn't have asked for better care.

Surely these obs (and their receptionists) deal with pg women every day, so know how stressed we get, so why can't they book you in earlier, just to put your mind at ease??

I hope everything works out for you.

I am doing midwife care at Redlands Public and its not too late to try and get in somewhere. The birthing centre would be hard but Redlands Public is fantastic and I chose it specifically for the care provided.

I agree christy! I am really disappointed that I can't have the twins there! The midwives are great, and the single rooms are awesome!