Thread: Confused with dates!

Mezzz Guest

Default Confused with dates!

Hi, Im new to this forum this is my first post!
    I found out on Friday that I am pregnant! I had an early ultrasound (internal- yuk!)as I had an ectopic pregnancy in Nov last year so they wanted to make sure the baby was in the right spot and thank god it is!

On the u/s report it said the crown rump length was 13mm and gestational age of 7wks 4 days so my Doctor has given me dates to get bloods taken and the next u/s (12wk) to test for down syndrome. It was only when I got home that I actually went back to the calender and was looking at my dates and on Friday i was not 7 weeks 4 days, the most I could have been is 5wks 5 days. I am just worried that this will affect all the tests etc as in the leaflet I received it said that the u/s and bloods had to be done at a specific stage in the pregnancy. I told her the first date of my last period was the 28/1 and according to the u/s I got pregnant on the 29/1 which I know for fact i didn't.

Do you think I should go back to my Doc and talk to her about this? I feel a bit silly if it doesn't matter in the long run...

I think you can determine when to get the first trimester screening done. I got my bloods done at 11weeks and my u/s at 13weeks. So if you make your appointments for the tests toward the later side of what is accepted you should be fine

Tanya

Hi Mezzz - Are you calculating your dates from the start of your last period? If not then this may explain why you think you are two weeks out. You can use the BellyBelly Due date calculator to confirm your dates. You can find the calculator link at the top of this page next to the "Home" link. HTH!

Mezzz Guest

Okay I did that Bellybaby due date calender and now Im more confused! Here are my results..
    Results: Your estimated due date is 04/11/07, which is 222 days from now.
    Your pregnancy will be full-term until 18/11/07.
    The estimated date of conception is 11/02/07.
    The estimated fetal age is 8 weeks and 1 days.

The estimated date of conception is spot on I'm just confused how they can say the fetal age is 8 weeks when that is before the date of conception?
    When you talk about how many weeks pregnant you are I thought it would go from the date of conception? Aagh I have no idea!!!!

Hi Mezzz - that's the confusing thing! The first two weeks of pregnancy you aren't actually preganant! They calculate how many weeks you are starting from the date of the start of your last period, not from the date you ovulated. It does sound strange, but it is true! Hope this is starting to make sense.

If you Google "how baby due date is calculated" and make sure you select "Pages from Australia", the third(ish) link down is written by Better Health Victoria and gives a better explanation than I can give!

Mezzz Guest

Thanks your your replies! Trish I googled and read that article and it makes sense now! I always thought it was from the date of conception! Oh I have so much to learn about pregnancy! I think a trip to the library (or some more time on google) is necessary.
    Thanks again!!! x

No worries, and congratulations on your pregnancy!