Thread: Confusion about 12w u/s and/or nuchal fold u/s

Default Confusion about 12w u/s and/or nuchal fold u/s

Hi girls,

Firstly, sorry if this has been asked before.

This pregnancy I am going public with midwife check-ups. Last time I went public but had an ob, so he did my 12w u/s and nuchal fold test at that time. I cant remember how much he charged me.

What I want to know is a) when is the earliest I can have my nuchal fold u/s (I want to go as early as possible as this will be by first u/s thus far and I cant wait!), and b) is this at all covered under medicare? I have a referral for 2 different sonograophers and one said 'it may cost' and the other said 'you end up out of pocket $60'. I dont mind if this is necessary, but thought that the 12w u/s WITH the nuchal fold test was covered under Medicare? I dont want to pay when there is a way I can get it without it costing me. Or is the nuchal fold optional and therefore costs.

Hope I have explained myself and thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Jessica I also went public with m/w for my preg. i'm pretty sure they told me the earliest was 11 weeks but preferred to do it at 12 weeks and i can't remember having to pay anything (i think it was covered by medicare). This all happened a while ago now so i'm sorry i'm not more specific...i'm sure other girls who are just passed 12weeks will be able to give u more specific info.

Kerryi Guest

Hi Jess.....because it is an "option" that you've chosen, youwill need to pay....
    I had mine last week, the Scan was $150, and I will get a medicare rebate of about $60....plus there's the bloods.....which I havent seen a bill for yet....which will also be subsidised by Medicare....

Hi 12 weeks is optimal. You can have the blood test part earlier, though. It depends on where you live, where you go, and your circumstances, whether you are out of pocket. In Sydney, it depends on who you go through whether it is a routine test or not. A lot of places only recommend it for those over 35. Other places, it's just a regular referral. It was going to cost me well over $100 in Sydney, but I insisted to a doctor that I should be referred to a place in Manly, as they bulk-billed me when I was pregnant with my first. So, that worked out. In Melbourne, I'm not sure if it is routine or not....I believe in most cases, it is. My sister is 23 years old and having it, so I assume most people do. I'll ask her whether it's costing her anything. I was never worried about the results, and didn't even have the blood test part, I just wanted to see my baby! The 12 week scan is simply amazing.

Hey Jessica,
    I have my scan booked for the 18th august. The doctors told me you hav to have the scan done between 11weeks 6 days, and 12 weeks 6 days to get accurate results. and the cost is $150, medicare will give you back $50 according the the radiography centre.

I've just had my scan, here it's between 11-14 weeks, 12-13 preferred. However, in the middle of the scan I was asked if I wanted the NT test... well, OK, I was really there to see the baby but we had the test as well.

I can't help with the cost, sorry!

Jess - When i had my 12 weeks scan with this bub and also with Lily it was covered by medicare but i was out of pocket by $30. So all i had to pay was $30 on the day, then medicare sent me out a check for the rest which had to give to the u/s place. With the blood test, i didn't have it this time but with Lily it cost me nothing at all and was covered by medicare. I was told you can get it done between 11 weeks and 13weeks, 6days.

Hi Jess,

I had mine done a few weeks ago and had to pay $115 i get nothing back from Medicare as it's a screening test i was told. Check before yo go if you are being bulk billed for it but i am sure they get everyone to pay for it now.

When is the best time to have it done around 12-13wks as they get a better veiw of the NF. The bloods you can have done a week before the scan or on the day. I did mine the week before but i now wish i waiting till the day of the scan.

Thanks girls, I think I can assume I will be paying, oh well. I will prob book in on 4th Sep as Monday's will be easier than any other day, and I will be 11 1/2 weeks then. My GP ticked 'bulk bill' on the referral but I dont know if that means whether they will def do it or not.

With DS I wanted my scan early so DH could be there (as he was away at 12 weeks). I was told that not only wasn't it as accurate, but also medicare wouldn't pay as much. To get the full medicare rebate it needs to be between the optimal dates which I think are 11w 6d and 12w 6d.

I've got mine at the hospital tomorrow and I'm going public, so I'll let you know whether they get me to pay anything!

Mine is this Friday and I have been told I will be out of pocket around $100. Like the others have said, it is optimal to have this U/S done between 12 and 14 weeks although the bloods have to be done at 10 weeks. I had my BT at 10 weeks and 1 day and was told I only had until 10 wks 4 days for the results to be accurate. I hope this helps. If you're worried about the cost and have two referrals, call them and see what they say. Good luck and HTH.

MG

Hi Jessica....as mothergoose said, the blood test needs to be done at around 10 weeks for the most accurate results (although is can be performed up to 12 weeks, they're just not as accurate). The u/s can be done b/w 11weeks 3 days and 13 weeks 6 days - when i booked my u/s in last week i was the same as you and wanted it the earliest i could because it was my first u/s - i was told that although it can be done at 11weeks 3 days, they usually wait until at least 12 weeks unless your dates are 100% accurate because if you aren't as far along as you thought the test can't be done and you need to come back and have another test (2 tests 2 costs!).

As far as i know in victoria it is an optional test but it is offerred to everyone - because it is optional there is a cost - i'm not sure of medicare rebate but it will cost me $150 up front for the u/s.

Hope this helps.

I had a NT scan at 11 weeks with Milo.
    I was told because its not a "necessary" scan, there was no medicare rebate at all, and I paid $100 on the day.

HI. I am having the scan on tuesday and the receptionist told me it was $120. I rang back as i am covered by medicare and she said that it would be covered. So i wont have to pay for it. Just ring the u/s place and ask. I will be 12+2 weeks, Hope that helps.

I had my u/s today and didn't pay them a cent. They didn't mention anything about payment, but did mention Medicare, so not sure if I'm going to get a bill?

I think from the posts in this thread it probably depends on who you go through and each person's situation. I'm almost 35, so that's why it was offered to me in the first place. Hope that helps.