Thread: Deep sea fish ok?

Question Deep sea fish ok?

I got some frozen fish fillets (already crumbed cos I am lazy) cos I don't eat enough fish at all...

But then I can't remember if its the deep sea fish we can eat or not? Which type of fish aren't we supposed to eat when pregnant?

Cheers!

im sure its not to deep sea fish, sorry darl!

So no? Bahhh crap

It's the bigger fish we can't eat, like shark, tuna, etc. No idea though if the fillets you have would be "safe" or not, but we're allowed the "unsafe" ones no more than once a week or so If you're unsure, just don't eat fish for the next week

Tuna isn't ok?!?!!?! Golly, I'm glad Aricyn turned out ok cos I ate about 5 tins of tuna a week when I was pregnant with him.. LOL

Maybe thats why he's so brainy

I didn't even know tuna were big fish until I read we couldn't eat them

It's because of the mercury build-up, I think. Small fish have a harmless amount of mercury (or whatever it is), but when the bigger fish eat them, it builds and builds. Safe for them, not so much for us

And we all know at least one person who does something "wrong" and comes out with a normal baby - you're it for the fish thing

Depends what type of fish and what country it is from. Have a look and then google to find the safe eating recommendations. Almost everything from NZ waters is fine, but you need to check for other countries.

I think tinned tuna isn't so bad as fresh tuna fillets. And I'm pretty sure the rule is to have only one serve of large fish a week. Pretty sure other seafood is ok...but I'm not sure....lol, no help am I?

It says on the box that its Alaskan Pollock or NZ Hoki Fish fillets?

Here you go Mel, from www . foodstandards.gov.au/consumerinformation/adviceforpregnantwomen/mercuryinfish.cfm

"Number of serves of different types of fish that be can safely consumed

Pregnant women and women planning pregnancy:

1 serve equals 150 grams#
    Children (up to 6 years)

1 serve equals 75 grams #
    Rest of the population

2 – 3 serves per week of any fish and seafood not listed below
    2 – 3 serves per week of a ny fish and seafood not listed in the column below
    OR
    1 serve per week of Orange Roughy (Sea Perch) or Catfish and no other fish that week
    1 serve per week of Shark (Flake) or Billfish (Swordfish / Broadbill and Marlin) and no other fish that week
    OR
    1 serve per fortnight of Shark (Flake) or Billfish (Swordfish / Broadbill and Marlin) and no other fish that fortnight.

# A 150 gram serve for adults and older children is equivalent to approximately 2 frozen crumbed fish portions.
    A 75 gram serve for children is approximately 3 fish fingers (Hake or Hoki is used in fish fingers).
    Canned fish is sold in various sizes; for example, the snack size cans of tuna are approximately 95 grams.

NOTE
    The Australian Dietary Guidelines advise eating one or two fish meals per week.

If you are in doubt about the type of fish or boneless fish fillets you are purchasing, FSANZ recommends that you ask the retailer and confirm the name of the fish being supplied. This also applies when eating out.
    "

NZ Hoki is fine. I knew someone who did the mercury testing on it and it has to have a completely non-detectable limit to be exported to Australia. It is what they use in the McD fish burgers.

Alaskan Pollock is coming up as safe to eat 2-3 times per week

Yayyyyyyy I can eat my fish!!!

LOL

Thanks guys - especially Kel and Artechim

I have been eating a small tin of wild alaskan red salmon every second day as it is mercury free. In case you are looking for an alternative. But be careful it is only wild alaskan as the pacific and tasmanian contain mercury.

I also take Krill tablets on the day I don't eat the tinned salmon (safer than normal fish oil as they use tuna meat and I don't trust the mercury levels) .

Default Deep sea fish ok?

Most salmon is fine, salmon are shallow water fish arent they? I'm sure I've seen them swimming upstream in creeks/rivers?? Tuna is different, must a lot of tinned tuna is ok too.

You can eat ALL kinds of fish while pregnant, but no more than one serve a week of high mercury fish - like swordfish and shark.

Hoki is fine, you could eat it every day if you wanted to.

Default Deep sea fish ok?

Must depend on ob then. I was told no swordfish and no sea perch/ orange roughy at all.
    After much reasearch and speaking to my cousin who's a fisherman, we stick to the pg guidlelines all the time now not just when pg

I heard the orange roughy one when I was pg with ds...

But fish mmm- one of this pg's fave's

Tuna IS ok to eat they just recommend you don't eat it all the time because of mercury levels.

Shellfish is a no - no.