View Poll Results: Did you colour your hair whilst pregnant?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't colour my hair

0 0%
  • No, I was concerned about any risks

7 25.93%
  • I was hesitant at first but gave in!

7 25.93%
  • I coloured my hair without any worries

13 48.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you colour your hair whilst pregnant?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Did you colour your hair whilst pregnant?

When pregnant, it is a very common concern for mums-to-be, wondering if it is safe to colour your hair - which is fine by the way! This poll is to see who coloured their hair while pregnant!

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Nope I didn't colour my hair. I haven't coloured my hair since I was 16 !! All too much hard work

Love

I was told that it wasn't safe in the first and last trimester. So I only dyed my hair during the second, when I got married I have read since that there is no evidence to prove it harmful to the baby but I would be interested to know if thats true or not. I even used childrens toothpaste because my ultrasound tech. said that anything with "not suitable for children under 6" was harmful during pregnancy.

Each to their own, you know what its like with your first child, absolutely paranoid about everything. I am sure if I was told that if I had to scratch my nose with my left hand instead of my right I would have LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

jilly Guest

Default Colouring

I had it done in 3rd trimester with Emma, as my hair looked terrible, and I wanted to look my best after the birth. LOL really, cos who looks glam after that?????

It is safe, I think the only thing is they say that sometimes the colour doesn't take as well as it would normally.

Bye for now, Jill.

ragged_blossom Guest

I used a herbal one -- didn't have much effect at all :roll:

Susan Guest

I am just about to go dye mine! I have a wedding tomorrow I am now nearly 23 weeks

Kelly Guest

I colored mine at the hairdressers @ 8 weeks, then left it and dyed it myself at about 36-37 weeks or so. I wasnt really bothered byt it, most advice i read said it was fine. Finn seems fine to me

I have been debating this very subject over the past week or so!

My mousey brown hair had gone very limp and lank looking.......in coparison to my nails and skin which are at the glowing/blooming stage!

So I eventually went and bought a semi-permantant kit from the supermarket: now it's a rich brown, but all shiny again!

I have to admit, I was a bit worried about, but feel SO much better at 25 weeks to not look so daggy!

NatCat Guest

This is all so very interesting, I love reading everybody's posts.

I coloured my hair all the way through both my pregnancys. I wanted to look my best at all times. I was working aswell so really had to keep appreances up.

I don't know about you guys, but I find, that when you are pregnant, more people tend to look and strike up conversation with you.

I look very young for my age, (not being ****y)(I hate it) but I got asked for ID to purchase cigarettes for the old man across the road at Coles a few weeks ago. :shock:

So the last thing I need are people glaring thinking 'Gee She is to young to be having a baby and Oh My Gosh look at her regrowth."

That really scares me - Yes I am a Drama Queen.

And while I was at it. Everytime I got my hair done, I got a pedicure and a manicure.
    You really should spoil yourself when you are preggers. It is so special and it goes so quickly. And your life will never be the same again. That is the way I figure it.

But now - One income - that is a different story!!

I have got my hair done twice in the last 11 months and there are no pedicures or manicure in sight !!!

So I am so glad I did it while we could!!

The Children are fine!!

See you
    Nat

You are exactly right Nat regarding the pampering. Especially when you are pregnant with your first, coz you may not get much time to do it afterwards LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Couldn't agree more about the pampering: I am working on a near completed construction site, and all the "dirty trades" are complete, now it's just all the IT stuff to go, so my steel capped boots have been kicked off, and I have had a manicure and a pedicure over the weekend and wore strappy sandals to the site today.......and how about this....6 months pregnant and waddling........and I got wolf whistles from the cabling guys!!

My fingernails are gorgeous, as are my cherry red toes.......feeling good.......

NatCat Guest

LUCY, You go Girl!!!! :!:

Sexy and pregnant 8) What a great combo :!: :!: :!: Wolf whistles OMG

There is nothing better than looking and feeling good.

Take care
    Nat

Mum 2 Three Guest

During my last pregnancy - about the end 2nd trimester/beginning of 3rd trimester my four year old came home with nits ... and guess who had them too - and quite a heavy infestation.

I then had the dilemma of trying to find a suitable nit shampoo - very very hard. Most things (probably everything) is unsuitable. I initially used a herbal treatment one but later realised shouldn't have used it - it think it contained rosemary and lavender. (One of them - Rosemary I think is used to induce labour). None of the other commercial remedies indicated whether they were safe to use or not but when I made further enquiries I was either told they were unsafe or that nobody knew. Some products that were recommended such as Neem Oil which is actually used to induce abortions - it did at least say on the label that it should not be used in pregnancy.

My hair is very very thick (a hairdresser once told me the only person she had come across who had thicker hair was a lady in London!) and was quite long at the time. In the end I resorted to combing through conditioner with a metal (plastic - didn't work as well) nit comb and I then put through a colour - my hairdresser friend told me she had never known anyone to actually get rid of nits in a week - so I was quite proud of myself.

I think it is quite frightenting that there are a lot of so called safe products out there that people think are OK because they are labelled "natural".

ragged_blossom Guest

The hairdye I used was only chamomile and lemon juice -- so very safe!

There is a natural hair colourist in St Kilda here in Vic. I rang them when I was pregnant to get my hair coloured, and she said she wouldn't do it unless I was in my 2nd tri because its still not healthy for bub (there is/was some theory about 1st & 3rd tri its more dangerous to bub as more crosses or something). But I have since read alot of stuff that contradicts her beliefs, its funny how quickly things change.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Well...I'm in my first week of 2nd trimester and I desperately need a colour before Christmas!! So...I think I am going to do it...at home. I don't want to have gray hair for all the baby shots either!! Oh well... I'll just have to keep reading everything that says its safe!

Christy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to General Pregnancy Discussion!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I coloured my hair frequently during pregnancy... probably once a month. The reason I had to do it so much was because my hair wasnt holding the dye at all, it would wash out in the first couple of washes and I would be left with this dull orange colour which I couldnt go out in public with!! Plus my self esteem was quite low during my pg, so it was nice to be able to try and do something about my looks. All the research I did about it suggests that it was safe as the hair dye does not remain on the skin long enough to absorb through. But I have heard a few conflicting things about it since... but luckily everything turned out just fine with Aidyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast