Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downsyndrome Scan

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

I wonder if the early scans you are all mentioning is the Nuchal scan? I was told at my first midwife clinic, to go to my gp and get a referral for this. The hosp. don't do the Nuchal test cos their ultrasound department is already very busy with the 18 week ultrasounds.

I am new to all this terminology, finding it all a bit daunting. (so if i have got everything incorrect, that's why!)

I am told i will have an ultrasound scan at btwn 18 - 20 weeks.

(I am presuming the amniocentesis and the CVS test are not also ultrasound scans). ????

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Gigi
    no you are half right CVS (done around 12wks) and Amnio (after 15-18wks or so) are different - they are two invasive tests - though they are guided by ultrasounds where a needle is inserted into uterus and sample is taken -they are not down routinely even in older woman unless clinincaly indicated or the mother/OB wants it done.

The Nuchal translucency is non invasive ultrasound ( you also have additional bloodtest ) -the scan measures the fluid at the back of the baby's neck - if this is high and combined with blood test results.

They give you an age adjusted risk factor - estimating the chance of down symdrome is 1/? (anywhere from 18 to 21,000 ).The higher the risk the lower the number - 1/66 is high risk 1/1200 -low .Especially if under 1/300 they will refer and recommend you have CVS or wait for amniocentisis -but optional 1/300 means 299 chances the baby is normal.

The 12 wks scan is also used for a basic check of structural abnormalities like skull (complete) and limbs - dates the pregnancy too if you are unsure.The 18-20 wk is a much more through anatomy scan.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

thanks baby amore, i think i understood most of what you said.

just to clarify one point (sorry i am slow) - is the 12 week scan you refer to, the Nuchal Scan?

thanks for going to all that trouble to explain all of that to me, the midwife probably said it all at the clinic, but my mind was racing - so much to absorb in that two hours, plus i have to concentrate ALOT just to control the nausea - i don't think it all sunk in. I come home and read books (all published in diff countries) and get myself in knots cos they use diff terminology!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Gigi -yes the 12wk is nuchal scan though any time between 11wks or so -13wks is it done
    I remember what my midwife appointment what is was like -so much to take in and they go through everything so briefly at times thinking you already have some prior knowledge.

BB has some articles on pregnancy here

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17258

Lorin Guest

Well when i ended uo having them, i got 2 printed off photos, they said they dont do 3D Scan which i think is pretty lame. Couldnt take your own vid in or Cd. But because im going through ShareCare i found alot of places didnt do sharecare scans so i had to find a place who did even though i paid 140 for my Downs Scan.
    Well i was happy any way, i got to see my beautiful baby and what an experience it was. I wish i could see it doing what it does all the time. So active and its amazing how i can't feel anything yet. Oh well i will soon and what an experience that will be then

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12