Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early scans

Default Early scans

I've noticed reading a few posts that some of you have had scans at around 6 weeks. Are we supposed to have one around then? The doctor I saw, just said for me to come in a few weeks, see how things are going and we will then arrange the 12 week scan at that appointment.

I just have to go for my blood test in a few days, but other than that I've just had my blood pressure and weight etc. done.

Any help appreciated!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Some people have dating scans, its not necessary though They can be 5 days out either side even at this early stage, and given that only around 3% of babies are born on usually mathematically calculated EDD's, it's not essential. Also, a term pregnancy is 38-42 weeks and dating is based on a 28 day cycle and then ovulation on a certain day, which we don't all have or experience.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Gurnz

No its not the norm to have a scan before 12 weeks. There are a few reasons why a doc may request an early scan......

To make sure dates are correct
    If you were on fertility medication to conceive or had trouble conceiving
    If you've had a m/c before
    Or for some other medical reason

12 weeks sounds fine hun.....goodluck!

I have early scans because I've had two missed miscarriages.
    Also many private OB's just do them routinely anyway at every appointment as they already have a machine in their rooms.

goldilocks Guest

Gurnz, I'm almost 10 weeks pg and am not having a scan until 12 weeks. And believe me, the waiting is killing me! LOL I kind of wished that I'd arranged an earlier scan now, just so I know that everything is ok. My worst fear is having a missed miscarriage Also, I don't have a private OB as I'm having the baby at a birth centre. As Flea said, if you have a private OB they will probably do a scan at each visit just because they have the machine there.

Good luck!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

I've had 2 early scans due to having 3 miscarriages.

I think having a scan at 12 weeks is the best time to have one as your dates will be right at that stage. Even with dating scans they are not always right.

I've already had my dates changed twice in two weeks.

I had to have an early dating scan because my cycle was so long they wanted to see how far along I was.

Right - thanks for your responses. Hopefully everything will be OK until 12w!!

I only had an early scan to check dates and to make sure it wasnt an eptopic pregnancy as i was on the pill. Otherwise i wouldnt have had one until the 18-20 week mark as i didnt want to test for Down Syndrome.

Sorry to butt in but I have just got a pos HPT. Has anyone asked for an early scan? How did you approach it with dr

We had a scan at 7 weeks, to chech viability and dates due to m/c's and not having an AF after D&C from last m/c... then I asked for one at 9 weeks coz I was stressing!

If it's your 1st pg, or you have only had normal pg's then you wont have to have one... until 12 weeks that is!

Hi Gurnz and big congratulations on your pregnancy.
    As some of the others have said there are varying reasons for using ultrasound in early pregnancy. For my four live children I only ever had the nuchal ultrasound at 12.5 weeks. However, when women have experienced frequent pregnancy loss especially if those babies haven't miscarried (a missed miscarriage) ultrasound is done to identify that there is a viable pregnancy. Any bleeding in pregnancy is usually checked with ultrasound to confirm that the little one is still growing and a heartbeat can be sighted. Also women who have been on fertility treatment generally have an early ultrasound to ascertain if there is a singleton pregnancy and the viablility of the pregnancy. Also for women who are unsure of when their LNMP was or where there is some question over dates an early scan can be useful to ascertain dates. Early scans are the most accurate at dating pregnancy - embryos grow at almost the same rate for each embryo. This growth can be nailed down to merely hours. So, you can see that could be helpful if that information would help contribute in a positive way to a pregnancy.

For women who have no history of these problems then an early ultrasound isn't necessary nor advised.

As with all things medical ultrasound can get overused. Also sometimes it takes away from the intuition and knowing that a woman develops througout pregnancy. The connection with her baby. Ultrasound is a wonderful tool, I for one am very thankful for it. However as I said in a routine pregnancy with no history, and no other indicators early ultrasound probably is unnecessary.

We only had ours done at 6weeks because we were going thru a fertility clinic, and that was the norm. Everyone else i know who hasnt been thru fertility clinics have just had their 12 week scan.

jbie Guest

good luck w your 12 week scan!
    i had mine as soon as i saw my GP after a positive HPT, as my cycles are so irregular that baby could have been anywhere from 2 -12 weeks.

GP just gave me a referral to a private scanning place, so i was OOP $50... it may be different w free scans at a clinic?

Owen Guest

Hi Gurnz,

Congrats on your pregnancy. I had a 4.5 week & 6 week ultrasound because they suspected an ectopic pg, thankfully all was ok & am now 10 weeks with an ultrasound due in 2 weeks.

Because of my rocky start and lots of cramping I have been worried that I would miscarry. A friend told me that if I was still getting morning sickness and feeling tired ect.... that it was my body telling me that I was still pregnant. Not sure if this is medically correct....but it made me feel less stressed!!

Good Luck with your ultrasound...hearing the heartbeat is out of this world!

This is my first pregnany, but I feel the need to have an early scan. Do you think they would allow me to get one?? I just need to make sure its growing and to check the dates. Is that a valid reason to request one?

Hi Karina,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    What we always need to be mindful of is that our bodies are ours - you don't need to be 'allowed' an early ultrasound. If you have informed yourself of all the pros and cons and you decide that the best thing for you is to have an early ultrasound then you need to request that. As I said above early ultrasound is not indicated for pregnancies where there are no indicators for problems or where there is no past history of problems. However only you know how you are feeling and what you are needing. I urge you to discuss this with your care provider, get some info on ultrasound and make your decision.
    Good luck with your pregnancy I hope it is a happy healthy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild
    you don't need to be 'allowed' an early ultrasound.
    The only thing is, that each u/s costs the taxpayer ~$200 so in that sense I can understand drs wanting to discourage unnecessary scans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast