Thread: Early weight gain

Default Early weight gain

Hi there,

I am 11 weeks pregnant. I had my first appointment at the hossie and they weighed me. I have put on 3.5kgs already. From what I understand that's over the average for first trimester. I am probably a normal weight for my height and slightly on the slender side. I started showing a little bump from about 6 weeks and now is next to impossible to hide.

I've probably eaten a little more than usual, for example I've had a milkshake every second day and a soft drink every second day (alleviates nausea). Apart from that I haven't really eaten more or less than previously.

Pre-pregnancy I was going to the gym maybe 3 times a week. My naturopath asked me not to go to the gym in my first trimester. I was conflicted about it but went along with it.

Can anyone tell me from their experience if I will continue to gain more weight than usual throughout the rest of my pregnancy? Should I be worried?

dont worry about it hun! the weight u put on while pregnant means very little. just because you've put on more than 'average' in the first tri doesnt mean it'll stay that way for the other two!
    with my first i put on 35kgs!
    with my second put on 8kgs
    this one i've already put on two.
    its different for everyone, dont worry about it, sit back and enjoy being pregnant
    xxx

yeah i agree every pregnancy is different,my first i put on no weight i actually lost 10kg,my second i put on 14kg,my third i put on 33kg! and im now 12wks and ive already put on 8kg!!,and i havnt changed my eating at all.I was really worried as well but when i went to my first antenatal appointment the midwife didnt see a prob with my weight gain and said its prob fluid retention.So im just going with the flow

Don't worry about it, I have a big bump happening now, my tummy muscles have just given in, lol.
    I have put on 4.5kg so far.
    About the same as this point in my last preg, I lost it all within a few months after birth.
    Glad the preg going well,
    take care

Thanks everyone for your reassurance.

Special hi to you Butterfly, my old TTC pal.

England (but moving back home to Oz next year!)

I'm 10 weeks and I have put on 4 kgs already. My lifestyle has gone from gym 4-5 times a week, low carb diet to no gym, high carb diet. I can't get enough of carbs.

I'm also very bloated and look pregnant. People at work keep staring at my stomach!

Sorry if this sounds harsh - but the milkshake every second day probably isn't doing anything to help .

I was also concerned about this too. I never tracked my weight with my DD. But with my DS I gained a massive 30kgs. I ended up losing all of that and more. And here I am again, 8 wks pregnant, trying hard to cave into my cravings and continue with my exercise.

I too was on the slender side at the beginning of this pregnancy, and I researched this yesterday. Apparently those women that start on the slender side will tend to gain a bit more weight in the beginning (as the body lays down additional layers of fat to help sustain the growing bubba). So I am guessing this may be attributing in both of our cases to the 'extra' weight gain in this first trimester.

Not that I know your background, but I am stunned the Nutritionist has said not to exercise in the first trimester. As you were active prior to the pregnancy (once again, I don't know your boackground) I don't see why you've been asked to stop it. Given if you'd never exercised in your life this wouldn't be the best time to train for a marathon, but you were active previously. I'm stumped on that one. But I would be interested should you find out the answer .

Good luck hun!

I've already put on 10kgs, was 58 kgs before I got preg, and I'm eating more at meals because I'm hungry but not eating unhealthy foods, so I guess it must be ok. I popped out really early too, well before 12 weeks. I wouldn't worry, although I was shocked when I found out I'd put on 10kgs, never been over 60kgs in my life. But if your healthy & eating well don't stress, the occassional soft drink & milkshake won't hurt, maybe ask for skinny milk, milk is calcium.
    Some ppl drink soft drinks every day, I say relax enjoy your new body and just be healthy. Everyones bodies react and grow diff during preg. Good luck