Thread: Ectopic Pregnancy ?????

Default Ectopic Pregnancy ?????

I have been having mild lower abdominal cramps which I was assured was normal however I have also been having a sharp pain in my right shoulder blade for the past fews days along with the cramps I googled this symptom and it's a symptom of Ectopic Pregnancy has anyone had pain in their shoulder blades with a normal pregnancy ? I'm starting to freak out now ! Should I go to the dr's or hospital tonight ?

Riley, have you had your hcg levels checked? They say if a pregnancy is ectopic than your levels would be higher than normal.

I have had slight pains in my shoulder blades in the early days (around 3.5 - 4weeks) in both my pregnancies. Neither were/are ectopic.

Are they sharp pains or just slight?

I hope all is ok for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgi View Post
    Riley, have you had your hcg levels checked? They say if a pregnancy is ectopic than your levels would be higher than normal.

I have had slight pains in my shoulder blades in the early days (around 3.5 - 4weeks) in both my pregnancies. Neither were/are ectopic.

Are they sharp pains or just slight?

I hope all is ok for you.
    I haven't been to the dr's at all yet as this stupid town I live in both dr's surgeries say I can't get in to see anyone until at the closest 26 Feb !

I started having them on and off about 3-4 days ago and it's been constant since about 3 this afternoon it is quite a sharp stabbing pain when I breathe.

Hmmm, have you got an emergency department in your town? Maybe you should try there cause if it is ectopic it is very serious. I would go to the er if you can.

I have had an ectopic and didn't experience pain near my shoulder blades. The pain was lower abdominal and localised to one side, quite sharp. In my case the pain got progressively and slowly worse over a number of weeks, then rapidly worsened over several hours to a point where I couldn't stand - which was when I was hospitalised (I hadn't known I was pregnant, but I was 8 weeks pregnant at this point). I had also bled when my period would have been due, although this sometimes happens in normal pregnancies too.

How far along are you? For how long have you been experiencing pain? Cramping in pregnancy is quite common, and is often not a cause for worry. If it is ectopic the cramps are more likely to be localised and quite severe, and they will not go away. But if you are at all concerned or think that the cramps are not normal it is best to get it checked out ASAP (even if just to put your mind at ease!).

I hope that all goes well for you and your bub.

ETA: just read your post - if it's been going on for 3-4 days I would get it checked out. If you explain to your doctor that you think it is an ectopic they should see you straight away, unless you have a hospital close by in which case you should go to emergency. Good luck.
    Last edited by suse; February 13th, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

I too was 8 weeks with a ectopic and had no idea - i was backpacking in morocco!!although i felt a little off and was on the loo i thought it was the food, no shoulder pain. but sweats

on returning to England the pain had stoped and i though it best to get all my scans done before i moved to AUS, (i have pcos) on my scan they discovered the baby and took me straight in and removed it. it was only then that i though wow how did i miss it

I had sore huge bb and although i was having break through bleeding didn't have much of a af.

I would go to A&E if you are unsure and i wish you all the very best

Thanks for the advice ladies the cramps are only mild and get them for about 20-30 mins every few hours I've had them since af was due on Sat there has been no bleeding. The shoulder pain is what is really hurting feels like a stabbing pain when I breath heavy or sigh it's pretty much been constant since about 3pm it even hurts when I turn my neck left and right to look behind me.

I called the hospitals (two near me) one the lady in the maternity section laughed at me when I told her I thought it could be ectopic the other hospital the lady said they couldn't really do anything tonight so just rest with a heat back on my shoulder and if it was still sore tomorrow to go to the hospital she thought it was unlikely to be ectopic but said she understood my concern. Times like this I wish I never moved out of the city...........

What you are describing sounds very similar to what a friend of mine had with her ectopic. I'd be seeking out a doctors appointment straight away. I have had some mild shoulder pain early in pregnancy but nothing like you described.

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    I have had an ectopic and didn't experience pain near my shoulder blades. The pain was lower abdominal and localised to one side, quite sharp. In my case the pain got progressively and slowly worse over a number of weeks, then rapidly worsened over several hours to a point where I couldn't stand - which was when I was hospitalised (I hadn't known I was pregnant, but I was 8 weeks pregnant at this point). I had also bled when my period would have been due, although this sometimes happens in normal pregnancies too.

How far along are you? For how long have you been experiencing pain? Cramping in pregnancy is quite common, and is often not a cause for worry. If it is ectopic the cramps are more likely to be localised and quite severe, and they will not go away. But if you are at all concerned or think that the cramps are not normal it is best to get it checked out ASAP (even if just to put your mind at ease!).

I hope that all goes well for you and your bub.

ETA: just read your post - if it's been going on for 3-4 days I would get it checked out. If you explain to your doctor that you think it is an ectopic they should see you straight away, unless you have a hospital close by in which case you should go to emergency. Good luck.
    I am about 4 weeks and 4 days.

The cramps seem to be all over my abdomen not just one side and feels pretty much the same as mild period pain.

Rileynmia,

I would definitely go to the emergency dept at your hospital as I was talking to a midwife at christmas time and what you are describing of all your symptoms she said was an ectopic pg. I would want to know for sure as we aren't dr's or midwife's to tell you what is happening. Sending you lots of :hugs:

RILEY Let us know how you get on. Good luck hun.

I'm going to the dr's at lunchtime today couldn't get in before then it appears the medical system up here is a joke when I explain the situation to the receptionist or nurse they don't seem to think it's urgent

I don't have pain in my shoulder today although I did in my opposite shoulder late last night and have had mild cramps on and off last night and again this morning. My right shoulder is still a bit tender when I press it but it isn't hurting when I breath atm.

Are these numbnuts aware that ectopic pregnancy is extremely serious? I can't believe that somebody actually laughed at you when you told them your concerns - personally, I'd be reporting them.

When I had my ectopic I didn't think that I could be pregnant, so I was the one who laughed when they suggested ectopic. I insisted that it couldn't be, but they would not let me leave the hospital until they had confirmed the pregnancy test and done an ultrasound - I was in surgery within an hour of having the ultrasound. Admittedly I had been in pain for a number of weeks and had got to a point where I almost collapsed at work, so I should have taken it more seriously than what I did, but even so, if they hadn't taken it extremely seriously I might not be here.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, but please don't let them dismiss your concerns; it's better to be proven wrong than proven right too late. If the pain rapidly and significantly worsens, call an ambulance or go straight to emergency.

I really hope that everything is OK for you hon - please let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    Are these numbnuts aware that ectopic pregnancy is extremely serious? I can't believe that somebody actually laughed at you when you told them your concerns - personally, I'd be reporting them.

When I had my ectopic I didn't think that I could be pregnant, so I was the one who laughed when they suggested ectopic. I insisted that it couldn't be, but they would not let me leave the hospital until they had confirmed the pregnancy test and done an ultrasound - I was in surgery within an hour of having the ultrasound. Admittedly I had been in pain for a number of weeks and had got to a point where I almost collapsed at work, so I should have taken it more seriously than what I did, but even so, if they hadn't taken it extremely seriously I might not be here.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, but please don't let them dismiss your concerns; it's better to be proven wrong than proven right too late. If the pain rapidly and significantly worsens, call an ambulance or go straight to emergency.

I really hope that everything is OK for you hon - please let us know how you go.
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience Suse.

I told my husband about how serious this condition is and he knows I am a bit of a softie if the dr says I'm ok I'd be like sorry to waste your time but he will make sure we are 100% happy with what happens at the dr's before we leave. Whatever the dr says we are going to insist on a referral to an ob at the hospital as I won't be able to sleep until this is sorted out.

Thanks rileynmia.

Good luck for today - I'll be thinking of you and I hope that you get good news.

Hi Rileynmia

I too am having the same symptoms, and it seems I am exactly as far along as you. AF was due on Saturday and I am 4 weeks and 5 days. From what I have read on the internet and also with my GP it is quite normal as your body is just preparing an comfy little nest for the bub. The GP said to only be concerned if the pains are constant and in one side. Mine are differents spots and do not last all day.

Good luck with everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaface View Post
    Hi Rileynmia

I too am having the same symptoms, and it seems I am exactly as far along as you. AF was due on Saturday and I am 4 weeks and 5 days. From what I have read on the internet and also with my GP it is quite normal as your body is just preparing an comfy little nest for the bub. The GP said to only be concerned if the pains are constant and in one side. Mine are differents spots and do not last all day.

Good luck with everything!!!
    Thanks jaface I was mainly panicing as no one else was having symptoms like mine up until now.

An update on the situation:-

On Thursday arvo I was admitted to hospital (just got out now) I had a few tests and an ultrasound (this morn) however as I am only just under 5 weeks pregnant they can't see anything on the o/s as yet. All my repro organs appear normal on the o/s and my HCG is rising to reflect a normal preg but the dr said it can still do that with ectopic preg. Have another dr appointment Tues after more test Mon then another o/s in about 10-14 days won't know for sure if everything ok till then it's gonna be a long fortnight !

I'm glad you finally got some action. It could be nothing, but if it is ectopic you need to know before it gets too big. The wait will be a tough one, but remember we're all here to listen to your worries as they arise. I've had a number of tough waits with this pregnancy so I understand how hard it can be to wait for test results. Best of luck for a good result.