Thread: Exercise

Default Exercise

Hi Ladies,

I am so, so excited to be here, am PG with #1 after TTC for about 14 months.

I was just wondering what everyone else in the first tri is doing exercise wise.

A bit of background... I am a group fitness instructor (am pretty fit) and am doing 3 body pump classes per week (dropped from 5-6). I am also walking (dropped my running and body attack classes). I plan on doing PG yoga from the second trimester and don't plan on taking up new exercise whilst pg.

I know they used to say you can't get your hr above 140bpm, but I believe this is now redundant and there is no limit on hr as long as you are not exerting yourself too much i.e. excessive sweating, breathlessness, dizzy etc.

Am curious to know your thoughts on exercise and how much you are doing / plan to do.

Snap!

I'm also an instructor of Attack, Balance, Combat, Pump, Jam and RPM :-)

I'm continuing with my Pump and Attack permanent classes, and I also do RPM 'for fun' still. I'm probably due around same time as you are too (just need a dating scan as I have no idea!) and this is baby number 3! I do one Pump, two Attack and maybe 2 RPM sessions weekly.

Continue on with your exercise, and you'll know in yourself when something isn't feeling right, and thats the time to back off ;-)

Good luck, wishing you all the best for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Just listen to your body and do only what you can do without feeling too exhausted. As you are very fit you should theoretically be able to do most things you could do before however you may be surprised at how tired you do get in the first trimester so make sure you don't overdo it. One thing I was told is to not do much raising above your head ie. shoulder press and the like as it can cause your blood pressure to drop and make you feel dizzy.

Wow, that was quick, thank you ladies!!!

Leesa - good to hear from a fellow instructor too. Looks like we will be belly buddies, congrats on your pregnancy :-)

It is always good to get a second opinion, doctor said it would be OK, but I thought I should check, took me a bit to get here so just want to do everything right (by bubs and me).

Hey Pump girl, shar here from BB group!

I'm also a GFI.

I taught BP with number 2, gave that up about 25 weeks.

Just had Freddy (number 3) I taught Bodyattack up to 22 weeks, then continued with Bodybalance until I couldn't fold well :0 also Taught Bodyvive all the way through, taught my last class at 38 weeks.

I wore a heart rate monitor, I did alot of research and as long as your Heart rate isn't extremely high for prolonged periods it is fine to spike, say in a peak track for example.
    Stay cool, stay hydrated and take notice of how you really feel.

I felt great continuing to exercise, you know the feel good thing!
    I kept my weight gain in check (my firt two I put on in excess of 30kg!!) with Freddy only gaining the recommended.
    BUT most of all I am positive it helped my labour and birth!!

Shar x

I

Thanks Shar, that is really useful info. If you do join April 1-15 that will make three of us that are FI..!

Wow.. You must be one busy lady, PG with a four month old, 2 other kids and instructing!

When did you go back to the gym after bubs? Did you figure bounce back?

I am wearing a HRM - have found that in the back track, my HR gets up to 177bpm and that is with a really light weight (6.25kgs on either side). It doesn't take much for my HR to climb though i.e. when I would do hill runs prior to being PG my HR would get up to 220bpm. It does come down quick and I am drinking around 700mls of water per class.

I guess every body is different and it is what your body is used to....