Thread: Exercise in first tri

Smile Exercise in first tri

Hey ladies,

just wondering what anyone/everyone does to keep fit during this time (or into 2nd and 3rd tri) I am a bit nervous starting anything new and admittedly am pretty slack in the fitness dep aside from running around after my horses, alpacas or dogs. I have been very inactive during the past 10 weeks mainly because I am scared of another mc .

I have a pregnancy yoga dvd that I will run past the ob but just wondering what everyone does aside from proper eating to minimise extra flab?

Nae x

Hey Nae,
    I've been walking every morining and swiming twice a week. My OB told me not to do impact anything, as all the muscles and tendons in our bodies are being effected by the hormones that are loosening everything in preperation. during this time injury posibility is more than doubled.
    As I understand it, we just need to get our heart rates up, with everything else going on in our bodies this should be enough. Just remember not to let your temp get to high as this can harm the baby, 1/2 hour medium paced walking and that raises my temp quite a bit. Hope this helps.
    Mel

Hi Nae,

What you do I think really depends on your level of fitness beforehand. I don't think it is a good time to decide to go all out! LOL I would say walking and swimming are great activities. If you are worried about overdoing it you should grab yourself a heart rate monitor so you can get some indication of what's going on in there. As far as I can tell, the aim is to keep your core temperature down.

Myself, I was reasonably fit beforehand. To counteract the fact I've been eating SHOCKINGLY BADLY, I've been trying to walk daily as well as higher intensity activity 3-4 times a week such as a controlled personal training session, bike ride and sometimes jogging (more like shuffling now LOL since I'm keeping my heart rate low).

From what I can tell this is a very contentious issue and not a lot of research has been done into it!

Cheers,
    Tish

I joined the gym just before getting the BFP - before that was doing no exercise!! But I have just taken it slowly, and built up to three times a week. I only work out for half and hour, and just do cardio not weights, for the reasons mentioned by a previous poster. I didn't want to stress any muscles that haven't been used for a while LOL.

I have found it fantastic for keeping up my energy levels and keeping the weight under control. You don't have to go overboard, but everythign I read say that it is good to do a bit of exercise throughout.

Yeah, like others have said just keep it simple... I have really only just started exercising (first trimester exercise was almost impossible, let alone the last thing on my mind!!!!!!!!!!) and am doing walking and a bit of yoga too plus these eyetoys kinestics PS2 game I got a few months ago...

Just watch your temp and try not to have it too high (that doesn't mean walking around with a thermometer either lol! Just monitor your sweating and how hot you feel, and slow down and cool down if you feel hot).

Thanks ladies,

I am not sure about the heart rate stuff and chore body temp stuff as I tend to heat up quickly and sweat really bad (like a horse) I have just started a medium pace walk around the paddocks taking it easy up the hills its nice actually because my horses follow me which is lovely company.

I have decided to talk to my ob about it and see what he suggests also as i carry quite a number of sporting injuries which under any excess weight flare up.

Cheers for all the responses.
    Nae x