Thread: First GP appt - What should Dr do?

Default First GP appt - What should Dr do?

Hi everyone, I am 5w3d pregant (according to my calculations) so I have booked the Ob and went to the GP to get my referral. I was really excited because I thought the Dr would do a test to confirm the pregnancy or at least work out my due date, weigh me, take blood pressure...something...anything!! But she did nothing. She gave me the piece of paper to get a blood test done and wrote out a referral.

So did I miss anything? Or did I have too high expectations? This Dr was good as useless as far as I'm concerned, but I would like to hear others opinions.

Should I see another GP? This one didn't seem to give a stuff. I feel so let down :-(

Thanks for your help.

Hi, know how you feel. With DS my GP did a pg test and ordered a dating sacn, did the due date thing and gave me heaps of info, got my referral and away I went.

This time around I was going to my GP for the whole pg (GP care) and was really disappointed. I walked in said I'm pg, he wrote down the date of my LMP and said see you at 12 wks. Just as I was walking out the door he said oh I better give you this form for the 12 wk scan and that was it. I was really disappointed too. Hopefully your OB will be much better

I'd see another GP. Which city do you live in?
    On my first appt (which was only last week) he asked me how dark the line was on the HPT & I told him that it was a definite positive but he was going to get me to do another, he calculated my due date, weighed me, took my blood pressure, asked if I had any qs, let me know all the things I should avoid (foods included) & told me to get elevit from the pharmacy & to take it & then gave me the forms to get the prenatal blood tests done!
    Hope this helps.
    Chanel

Hi Cazzacan,
    With my initial GP app with my first pregnancy, the doctor really didn't do anything either (Just wrote out a lab form for bloods, that's it, nothing else)..not even a referral for an obst as she said it was too early (by LMP I should have been 8 weeks, but I was closer to 6 really)..
    So I think many GPs don't really do much at that stage..but I guess if you do want to see someone to do your bp, weight, re-test etc and chat then go see someone else...
    Hope your pregnancy goes well, all the best...

The blood tests are the most important part of your first visit - the rest doesnt mean a lot in the very early days. But that said if you didnt feel comfortable asking your gp to take your blood pressure or anything else, then you should find one you are comfortable talking about anything with KWIM???

When I saw my GP, she checked my history when I was in last time (had 2 previous m/c), sent me for blood tests, asked me who I wanted the referral to. I wouldn't worry too much, your obs will be the main carer througout your pg (if you are having an obs)

My GP did no tests, I said I had done 4 HPT all positive so GP said there was no need to do a blood test. I had already booked my OB, she said when was you first app. which was at 8 weeks so she just gave me the referral told what food not to eat and that was it. She didn't even test my blood pressure even though she treats me for high blood pressure. I thought the app was a let down but she did say if I had any concerns at any stage to come back. So felt reassured she would assist if needed.

The Gp i seen wasnt my usual one, and she was so vague and useless. Altho she did do my BP, weight, another urine preg test, felt my tummy, ordered bloods and told me a due date. But never really spoke at all to me. Just went about her dr things and left me sitting there not saying a word. Told me to come back in a few days for the results......meaning if the bloods come back i was really preg..or not? By then id gone to my normal dr and he was fantastic, done bloods again....but went thru all PG stuff with me!

Thank you all for your replies!!! I feel so much better now, knowing that other people have felt the same way and had basically the same experience!
    I have booked another appointment to see a Dr at a different surgery altogether, I really want to find a Dr who I feel comfortable with, after all, I have to find a 'family doctor' now that we have started our family!
    Nella, I live in the Hawkesbury area (Richmond/Windsor) - NSW. I would be most happy to hear any recommendations!

Thank you everyone :-D

My GP did no tests initially. As soon as I got a BFP I called him and asked him what I should do with regrds to booking in @ hospital and whether or not I needed a blood test. HE said the positive HPT was enough and to just call the hospital, and told me about taking folate and a few other things. I've only been to my GP to get my bloods done at about 8 or 9 wks.