Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Visit to OB

You girls are hilarious!

I am going public, and really want to have the proper tests done by 12 weeks as DH and I are waiting to tell friends until this time.

I am going back to my GP this Friday to get my referreal for my ob, then hopefully I will have an appt somtime after 8 weeks, then again at 11-12 weeks. Do you think this is realistic?

Thanks!

Melinda Guest

hehe one step ahead of you Bon - guess who went out and got their Coles Baby Sample Box today?!?! Yep, me!!! LOL

Jess - when you ring to make your OB appt they will most likely ask you how far along you are and make the appt accordingly. Generally in the first trimester your OB will see you once a month unless there is a specific reason why they need to see you more frequently. So for example if you see your OB at 10w you probably won't see him again until 14w, so he will probably give you a referral for your nuchal fold scan and associated blood tests at your first appt so that you can get them done at around 12w, as there is only a narrow period of time in which to have those particular tests done, and your OB will definitely know this. If you're worried at all about the timing of appt's, I'd suggest that when you first ring to make your appt, that you actually ask them how frequently you will be seen and mention to them that you want to ensure that you have the nuchal fold scan and associated blood tests done within the appropriate timeframe so that this can be organised.

I think you'll find that it will be just fine and you won't have any trouble getting the tests done in time. And don't worry about asking questions when you ring up because they understand that as first-timers you have a lot of questions and are unsure about the way things work!

Hi Jessica

I totally agree with everything that Tootie has just said. The OB will make sure all your scans and blood tests etc are done at the appropriate times so you will have nothing to worry about

Love :smt049

Lesley, I'll have it if you don't want it, because I lost my voucher.

Does the sample box have anything good in it anyone?

I had my first proper appointment at 13weeks, but I wasn't after any of the extra tests, and had my only u/s at 21 weeks. ( i was kinda slack at the start)

First Timer Guest

You girls are a wealth of information - just faxed in an application for to the Coles Baby Club - Oooooh, I hope I receive something in the mail soon with the voucher for the sample box - and the magazines will be nice to have every quarter whilst I'm at home !! Thanks girls - what would I do with out you all !!!

Tam
    O

Melinda Guest

After I sent off my application form to join the CBC it took a couple of weeks before I got my letter back with my membership number and voucher for the sample box.

Susan, the sample box I got today had the following items:

* Weetbix Sample (2 biscuits)
    * 1 x 120g tin Golden Circle Fruit Custard Baby Food
    * 1 x 140g Goulburn Valley Apple Fruit Puree
    * 1 x Ultra Dry Baby Love Nappy (small size)
    * 1 x Tena Active Extra Absorbent Liners (2 in a packet)
    * 1 roll of Quilton 3 ply toilet paper
    * 1 sachet of Am-o-lin baby shampoo
    * 1 sachet of Am-o-lin baby bath
    * Brochures on feeding baby solid foods and a few other sheets advertising stuff
    * Vouchers for PixiFoto and Portrait Palace

All very thrilling LOL but you gotta love freebies anyway!

Ooer at the roll of quilton in there. Never got that 2.5yrs ago when I joined. Quilton very good if you have a episiotomy

Love :smt049

LOL Kathryn I was just wondering why it was in there... that is a great reason!

Jessica (ORkids) I've used that stretch mark cream that was in my bounty bag during 2nd & most of 3rd trimester and I haven't a stretch mark yet... but I have been rubbing vit E cream or the sort thats in the bounty bag since 1st trimester and massaging the belly the whole time... so maybe it depends on your skin whether or not it works...

Christy

Melinda Guest

I too was wondering why the loo paper was present, but that's a pretty good reason Kat! LOL

I so agree about the toilet paper! When I had Harry we only had cheap stuff at home - never again! This time I am stocking up in the event I have another epis.

Only a few more days till my first hospital appointment...

Bon

kelandroo Guest

I had to wait until Daniel was born before I got my Bounty bag. It was in the bottom of the crib in the hospital!! Bit late for strech marks!!

The nutrimetics nutririch oil was what I used for strech marks. I got none on my tummy - but noone told me that you can get them on your bum!!
    So my theory is the cream worked, but I shoud have used it in more areas than just my tummy!!
    Cannot afford the nutririch oil this time around, using biooil instead (much cheaper)

I have made my first ob appt for 26th May - bubs will be at 12 weeks and it is 2 days before my 25th birthday. So, another question. Will all results be same day for all tests done at the 12 week appt? If it helps, I know I am having an ultrasound. I am really hoping I can be given the all clear by the 28th to tell family and friends.

most results should be back.. it depends... blood tests won't be back yet, but if your ob is the one doing the ultrasound they should be able to let you know straight away what they are seeing etc... some of the measurements they take for different things could take a while for results... so it just depends on the situation... I hope that helps...

Christy

Melinda Guest

Ditto to what Christy said!

Hi all,

had my first OB appointment today (10 weeks exactly).

We first talked through the medical history etc. and then she talked me through all the testing available. She calculated my EDD from my cycle and came up with 25 Nov (dunno how on earth my GP got 27th ...) and explained how things are 'normally' done (i.e. if you're not leaving the country, lol)
    She looked at the U/S slide from my 7 week U/S but didn't say anything about it.

She didn't do an exam at all but she did do an U/S with a small machine with a tiny screen and measured bubs, which was about 2 days ahead of where we thought I was. It was a bit hard to see, cause I have a retroverted uterus, but you could see the heart flickering away nevertheless.

So much to what happened at my first OB appt. It was reassuring to see our snowmonkey and to know that everything is going well.

Snowy

Snowy,

I am sooo jealous! 2 ultrasounds to my 0, and I wont have 1 till 12 weeks.

Everyone seems to think its a bit wierd I am not going to my first ob appt until 12 weeks. Especially not fair as I think I am the most impatient person in the world!

So glad to heard everything is going well for you! Lets hope at my first appt he tells me I am due early December instead, so I am less likely to be a horrible Mum and have bubs too close to Christmas!

Can I ask the ob that if I am late to induce me well before XMAS at the latest? Will he scoff at my request?!

Jessica, you can go and have an U/S any time you want, it's just that you have to pay for it if you have more than I think the 2 covered by Medicare.
    I paid 125 Dollars for my first U/S and got back 55 from Medicare - but to me it was worth the 70 Dollars to have the peace of mind that everything was going well.
    I didn't expect her to do an U/S today cause her secretary had told me they don't have one, but apparently they didn't count the small one as a ' real' ultrasound- and you didn't really see anything that well - but it was just great to see and be told that everything is going well.

My best friend's husband said he wished, women had a window there, so you could see what's going on .. lol

Melinda Guest

To have an u/s that isn't performed in your OB's rooms (i.e. to have one done privately) you need to have a referral from at least a GP. You can't just go in and get one IYKWIM....you need to have a request form completed by your GP or OB. It's my understanding that there isn't a limit to the amount of u/s scans that are covered by Medicare - no matter how many you have, they still provide the same level of rebate. The amount that is actually charged by the private u/s office is entirely up to them, however most will only charge the 'scheduled' fee for those people who hold a health care card, meaning that the amount that you are effectively 'out of pocket' in this instance is less. However if you don't have one of these cards or other appropriate concession card, you are up for the full cost, which can be around the cost of what Snowy was charged, meaning that you effectively pay more for the u/s. Does that make sense? I haven't ever heard of there being a limit to the number of u/s's that you can have - it certainly hasn't happened to me and I've had a few private ones over the past 12 months.

Jess - I don't think it's strange that you're not seeing your OB until you're 12w. A lot of OB's don't see you until you are between 10 - 12w, and you fit into that box - you might be seeing a very busy OB perhaps, that's why you couldn't get in at 10w or 11w? But no, it's not weird - it's totally fine! I'm looking forward to reading all about it when you do go!

Snowy - I've got a retroverted uterus too and had to have internal scans until after 12w as they couldn't make out much at all with me. Glad to hear that your little snowmonkey is going well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast