Thread: Headaches

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Default Headaches

Hi all,
    I'm only 8 weeks and suffering from really bad headaches. I had to take two days off work last week and today I've had another shocking day with the pain in my head just getting worst. With this, the m/s and tiredness I just feel like I'm losing control of my body… and my life.

Sorry :-({|=

I guess my real question is does anyone have a ‘natural’ cure for headaches?

as always, thanks everyone for your help and support
    CC

When I'm not pg, a drop of peppermint oil on the back of my neck can help, but I don't know if its safe to use when you're pregnant.

Also, theres an acupressure point for headaches, I think in between your thumb and forefinger, in the webbing part - maybe google it?

Cee Cee i heard that lavender oil is pretty good for headaches but just check that its a safe essential oil to use when your pregnant first.

other than that i find a good sleep usually does the trick for me, but i know that when they are persisitant it seems like nothing will get rid of them.

Good luck and let us know if you find any miracle cures!

Cee Cee - I use the acupuncture point that Rayray said you have to push realy hard so it hurts and hold for one minute and let mine normally goes away - I do it to DH too and it works for him.

kirsty Guest

This is often works for me so I hope that maybe it can bring you some relief too.

Pinch the skin at the top of your nose between your eyebrows (easiest way I find it is to put my fingers either side of my nose near my eyes & then bring them up) & hold it for a few minutes while breathing deeply. I learnt this from my naturopath/ acupuncturist when I was pg, it is to do with it being a reflex point or something??

Also massaging your temples & base of your neck may help a little by relaxing those muscles.

HTH & you get some relief soon.

I suffered terribly from sinus headaches, just as I thought I'd got over my morning sickness! and of course couldn't take the nurofen I knew would have fixed it. I often get inflamed sinuses this time of year and nurofen works wonders. But of course all I could take was panadol, and it wasn't working. The only relief I could get was from a cold flannel on my forehead, or over my eyes & nose, or at the back of my neck.

I think it's safe to use essential oils in a burner with about half the amount you'd usually use (don't quote me tho!!) as opposed to putting it on your skin. Perhaps a little lavender in the air will help. I didn't get around to trying it as the flannel helped me get some sleep.

Try to keep your fluids up tho, coz dehydration can cause/aggravate headaches.

Take care, I hope it eases up for you soon.

Lavender oil is fine during PG, although I have read a lot of warnings about using any essential oil in the 1st tri. You need to be careful of peppermint if you have a history of m/c. Probably best to dilute the oils with a carrier oil first perhaps if you're going to use them on your skin. I've heard the same as Ivana_baby as well - that using oils in a burner is safer than putting them onto your skin.

HTH!

Are you throwing up a lot CeeCee?? The reason I ask this is maybe you are dehydrated with the m/s. I found if I didn't drink enough then I would get really bad headaches at the start of this pregnancy. Maybe try drinking more water or any tye of fluids as your body is needing an icreade in blood volume and keeping hydrated helps.

Try resting as much as possible.

Sorry I am not much help. 8-[

Cee Cee
    Some headaches are triggered by low blood sugar. You can prevent any bouts of decreased blood sugar by not missing meals and carrying high-energy snacks with you.
    Drink plenty of water - dehydration can cause headaches.
    Whenever possible, avoid loud music, noisy restaurants, packed parties and crowded department stores.
    Ensure your environment is healthy. An overheated, smoke-filled unventilated room can trigger some people's headaches. Also, make sure that your home and workspace have adequate natural lighting. Fluro lights often cause Headaches.
    A good balance of rest and exercise can often help.
    Meditation and yoga are two ways to help you relax and decrease the effects of tension headaches.
    Try lying down in a dark quiet room with your feet up for ten to 15 minutes.
    Alternating hot and cold compresses to the aching area for ten minutes can alleviate some of your pain.
    It's a good idea to avoid taking any kind of drugs while pregnant. However paracetamol is OK but limit the number you take.
    Massage your scalp firmly with your fingers, as if you were washing your hair, or get someone to do this for you.
    It is not recommended to use essential oils directly on your skin in early pregnancy but an oil burner should be OK if you do not overdo it.

Hope this helps

Alan (Midwife)

kirsty Guest

What wonderful advice Alan, thanx for sharing some of your insights into headache relief while pg.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    It's a good idea to avoid taking any kind of drugs while pregnant. However paracetamol is OK but limit the number you take.
    Yeah... I was feeling quite guilty at the amount of panadol I was taking at the start (didn't exceed recommended amounts of course.. but didn't like taking it cos of baby). Once I realised it just wasn't working I limited it to only at night for that little bit more help so I could sleep.

Along the lines of massaging the scalp... an orgasmatron is very soothing too! hehe. (erm.. you know.. the thing with long wiry legs that you massage your scalp with 8-[ )

Cee cee - one thing I've found when they are really bad, making me sick, is to use ice pack on aching area of head while the rest of me is wrapped up nice and warm in bed or under a warm shower - the difference in temps seems to make a difference. Its not instantaneous but if you have the time it seems to work

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Thank you all so much... I think that it was
    * Not drinking enought water (water made me want to puke - bluddy m/s)
    * Not eating enought (again bluddy m/s)
    * Being 'tense" as I was trying not to vomit all the time. So I was holding my shoulders near my ears!

What helped:
    * Massage using those accupunture points (by a proffessional) within 10 mins , 90% of the pain had gone (it did come back that night but is gone today).
    * Cold wash cloth on head, dark room, no noise, no lights
    * Drinking water (flavored with cordial if I have to - need to get it down!)
    * Streching my neck out

I think it is just a part of my body 'adjusting', so much is gong on that my weakest point (my back) got tense... If anyone is having headaches I higly recommend seeing a trained massage thearpist who also knows accupunture... I only did the $15 for 10 mins - so it does not even need to cost you a lot of money!..

FYI: I smashed my head open this morning on the car door and while I was getting stiched up the docotor said "gee you must have a massive headache, and I said, actaully this is the first day in two weeks where I have not had a headache - this pain is nothing compaired to pregnacy headaches!

hehe. Glad to hear you got some relief! My headaches have come back in the last couple of days. Not sure if it's the changes in weather, being cold and now suddenly hot again. Cold flannel helped me sleep last night tho, which tells me its inflamation in my sinuses again, since panadol isnt' working but the cloth does. *shrug* This baby better appreciate what I'm going thru!