Thread: Heartburn- Help?

colleeg Guest

Default Heartburn- Help?

Hi guys,
    #-o
    I have been suffering everyday with bad heartburn, mylanta, gaviscon and other antacids just put a barrier from the burning. SO i went to my DR and he prescribed Zantac which is a catogory A safe medicine for pregnancy, however although it does work and turns off the acid, do you think its bad taking or relying on this? its just nothing helps!
    any other suggestions woud be appricated!

Colleeg

Coleeg, if your Dr says it is ok to take, then dont worry about relying on it. i know how bad the heartburn can be, and if you have found something that stops it and is safe, then take as much as you need girl!

I had really bad heartburn once a few weeks ago. Started at midnight and lasted till lunchtime the next day. I think it was from a glass of orange juice I had at about 5pm that night.

There was an acupresure point that I used and I think it helped. I will get the details when I get home from work. Milk seemed to help as well.

I didn't take any medication/antacids for it and have been lucky enough not to have it since.

Could it be from something you eat??

Gemma.

yeah, milk helps me too, i skull a glass when i get it and seems to go away.

Jackson is sitting quite high in me, so that is what causes mine, he is forcing the acid up.

Heartburn is truly horrible. I had it last night for most of the night. A glass of milk does seem to help though.

I don't know about Zantac personally, but if it is a category A medicine then the benefits must far outweigh the risks, and it must have been the subject of research... I'd trust your doc. It's probably worse for you to have the heartburn, and potentially interupted sleep because of it.

colleeg Guest

well it could be somthing i eat but gernerally it just seems to come when it wants. I have cut out al the acidic things - even tomoatos and onions.
    Milk is wonderful i think it provides the coating like ant acids and you do get your added calcium too!

im not sure exactly if its the baby pushing on the stomach or the valve that is just weakened by pregnancy? I guess like you say its best to just take somthing so you can sleep and get on with life!

Colleeg O

Melinda Guest

Colleeg,

It's a combination of things.....there is a lot less room in there, so the baby can quite literally push acid out of your stomach, plus from all the hormonal changes, the little valve (whatever it's called) is also relaxed more so than usual.

I suffered terribly with heartburn when I was PG with Jacob. I had it every single day without fail, and my OB prescribed Zantac also and he told me to take it twice every day for the remainder of my PG! I ended up taking one tablet per day only, and would take it at bed time. It really did help and the odd occasion I forgot to take it, boy did I know about it!

Bearing in mind how acidic the stomach acid is, having a lot of heartburn is not a good thing as it can burn the oesophagus etc and do damage which can take time to heal, so by taking steps to prevent/minimise this is a very good step indeed!

Colleeg,

When I mentioned to my Dr that my heartburn was getting worse, not better, she did say that she could prescribe me with something, but would prefer not to - I'm guessing she meant the Zantec you are talking about.
    Mine comes and goes, depending on what I;ve had to eat, and probably the babys position.
    I did read that you shouldn't eat and drink at the same time, and trying to cut out acidy food is a big help.
    One of the worst things for me to do is have bread products first thing in the morning. Toast, bun, anything like that - guaranteed heart burn.
    Its just another joy of being pg I cant wait to get rid of!! Roll on 9 weeks!
    Fi

Debbie Lee Guest

Colleeg - I too get pretty bad indigestion and it is getting worse. It mainly hits at night and wakes me up. Not a very pleasant thing to wake up to! Up until now, quick-eze have worked well enough but I am finding that the heartburn is breaking through somewhat. I might ask my Dr. about Zantac to help it out a little. Like the others have said, they wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't ok to take. I find they are pretty cautious about just about everything. Hope it clears it up for you!

jcm73 Guest

Hi. I had heartburn with my pregnancy, and the only things that were medication-free that helped were the milk (worked like a charm!) and elevation when sleeping. Try an extra pillow to raise your head a little. This helps keep the acid down in your stomach. Most of the replies I read said that it was worst at night, so give this a try!