Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP is it normal to have brownish stick dischard in the first trimester

Default HELP is it normal to have brownish stick dischard in the first trimester

can any one help me or if you had the same thing can you tell what the outcome was i am about 6-8 weeks pregnant but on and of for the past 2 weeks i have had a browinsh discharge its like sticky mucus i have been told its old blood and dont worry but i do its not a lot but enough for me to think is this normal any advice i would be very grateful for i really hope everything is fine i go for a ulstrsound on friday and i have had a few blood test and the hcg levels are going up fine
    karen

I had some pinkish d/c then it turned brownish. It wasnt a lot but enough for me to panick (at 5weeks). I had bloods and u/s down and it was ok. I think the doctor suggested implantation bleeding.
    Good luck

I had brownish thick discharge which turned pink and then red and went clotty from 5 weeks till now (10 weeks). I had a scan today and my baby is going great!

In my case, I had a uterine bleed called subchronic hematoma which is a blood clot under the placenta or baby that causes this bleeding. It makes the pregnancy higher risk, but is far from uncommon and plenty of women go on to carry full term.

Some women just bleed or spot and there is no cause. It's great you are getting a scan to find out this soon and this should reassure you that things are okay.

Let us know how you go and plenty of prayers to you. I'm sure you will be fine

hi Mininimatron thanks for your comments i hope your are enjoying your first pregnancy andgood luck with it all
    cheers
    karen

Hi Tara thanks for your comment of what you went through thats fantastic your baby is going great and thanks for your prayers, yes i will let you know how it all goes
    cheers
    karen

Karen, I had some brownish discharge at around 14 wks (I know a bit further along) but I was worried. Went to the doc, he did the doppler and the baby's heartbeat was really good and strong. He said it was more than likely an edge bleed from the edge of the placenta and not to worry. Admittedly I still did and even now still check IYKWIM? All is still good though Try not to worry yourself too much even though I know it's very hard not too. Best of luck and I hope that your u/s will give you some peace of mind.

Default Thank God!

I was just about to put the same STRESS in the forums.

I've had a small brown discharge since Sunday. I thought I'd over done it on the weekend because we've been painting the outside of our house. I took Monday off work and just rested and felt so much better for it, and the discharged stopped.

I saw the Dr yesterday and she said not to worry, can be just a capilary bleed from the edge of the placenta.

I came back to work today and it's started again. I've been really worried. I had u/s last week and all was really good with bubs, so I worry that it's not a good sign. I thought it's probably because I'm moving around a lot more today.

I keep telling myself that I've known lot's of girls with similar or worse situations with their kids now running around - but it's hard not to worry.

I'll keep in mind what you have all said and keep my fingers and legs crossed!!

Percy Guest

I hate to say this but my miscarriage started with brown discharge on and off for a few days. I had amissed miscarriage so I had no other bleeding apart from that.

I really hope your story is different to mine.

All the best.

Percy,

Did you find out via an u/s that you had a missed miscarriage, or if not, how did you find out?

I know the story is so different for everyone. I lost my last baby and I didn't have any signs at all until our 13 week scan.

I had a scan last Thursday and all was well, and this is so minor, the discharge, that you could blink and miss it. I know other's who've had worse and still kept their babies.

If it continues or gets worse I'll try and have another u/s in the next couple of weeks because I don't want to wait until the 13 week scan to find out the same outcome as last time, that's for sure.

Fingers crossed to us all I say!!!

I don't want to frighten anyone, but my missed m/c also started with brown discharge, apparently this is a classic symptom.

I had bleeding during my first prg too and was always assured that brown blood is old blood and not cause for concern - as I found out this is not ALWAYS the case and should be checked out.

I'm sure everything is just fine, I was further along than you, about 12 weeks and had lost my baby probably at 8 weeks, so I think it's a bit early for this to be happening with you.

I just wanted to post because I think it's important that you have an u/sound and have things checked out.

GL!
    Last edited by Willow; October 25th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

I had brown, red and pink discharge that started when I was 9 weeks... it lasted a few weeks... an ultrasound and urine test at 10 weeks detected nothing... they said the most likely cause was breakthrough from my period... and here I am at 24 weeks with a bubba that is kicking me like crazy!!!

Percy Guest

Yes I had ultrasounds to detect the m/c. I was having fertility treatment and was having early scans to ensure things were going ok anyways and we went for our 5 week scan and everything seemed fine - no heart beat but thats ok at 5 weeks. So the next week we went back to check on things again and there was no growth - I also started getting the brown discharge that day. My FS said it didn't look good but to come back in a week for another scan just in case our dtaes were wrong. Well we went back the next week after a horrific week and still no growth and the brown discharge was still there. So I had a D&C the next day.

Anyways thats my story but I'm hoping your is like the majority of women here and all is ok!

I had loads of muddy discharge at around 6-7 weeks, GP thought it wasn't a good sign and sent me for a viability scan, and everything was ok. It cleared up by a couple of weeks, and everything was fine. It could also be bloodvessels as the uterus starts to grow.

I hope you have good results from your scan.

I think that it is important to check it out.. even if it's nothing.

I had a scan when I had the dark red clots come out, my GP told me I had miscarried, I told him I hadn't, that I *knew* I hadn't. So he sent me for a scan to confirm it at 5w6d...there was a little HB

Still for 4 weeks was bleeding on and off, my GP said no point in doing scan till 12 weeks, that the medical profession doesn't see it as serious till then. Maybe if I'd been trying for ages they would be following it up, but not in my case (I was told i was infertile so this baby was an unplanned surprise albeit I had not gotten pregnant for a long time anyway). So I sat there for 4 weeks feeling rotten, stressed, crying, and extremely depressed and scared, I hated going to the toilet and seeing more blood. Eventually, through my depression I was able to drag myself off the lounge and ring another GP. By this time I had totally lost the morning sickness and sore bbs. When I saw him he said to me 'how have you gone this long without getting a scan, it must have been an nightmare worrying' I cried, I didn't realize that any doctor was different to my last one, that they did see the point in getting a scan prior to 12 weeks. He sent me for an urgent scan and for beta HCG tests, the works. HE even rang and made the appointment so they would know it's important and fit me in asap. I got this scan done on Monday.

The baby was fine, growth was even 2 days ahead than the previous scan, HB was 180. I honestly thinK i would have lost it in my head waiting any longer.

So now I know for the future, I will DEMAND a scan if I have something like that happen again. It was not good for me or the baby worrying like that.

Go and get it checked, you need to know.

I started getting low down aching on Wednesday afternoon, but funnily enough, the discharge seems to be next to nothing now.

I called my Dr. 4 times yesterday and haven't heard from her which I am really ****ed off about.

I spoke to my girlfriend who's had similar symptoms in her previous pregnancy and that made me feel better. My aching was also moving around a bit more yesterday and I'm not that worried about it now as I feel it's just that aching from growing. I'm 8 weeks tomorrow, so another growth spurt would be on the cards this week.

I'm going to book in with my Dr. for next week anyway as I have to get a referral changed, but I am not impressed that she didn't call me back. I will discuss how I'm feeling next week with her and if things are still a bit unsettling I'm going to get another scan to be on the safe side.

Take care of yourselves and if you ever feel something is wrong, make sure you demand a scan!!

Both pregs i had brown discharge in the early weeks. My GP said it is normal - even to get pinkish discharge - especially at times in the month when you would normally expect AF. It can be old blood or a kind of break through period. I was told just to keep an eye on it and to get it checked out if the amount increased or i had red blood. If you are at all concerned speak to your Dr and you will prob be sent for a scan just to check on everything...and to give you peace of mind

thanks for everyones input im just letting yous know whats happening with me. well on tuesday morning i got out of bed and it was like a gush of blood came out of me i really thought i had misscarriage so of i went to the hospital they did a ultrasound and there was a heartbeat as the dr said all is going well this can sometimes happen with pregnancy and she said i will probably bleed for another 5-7 days i am still bleeding a bit now but its brownish colour i find the more i do the more i bleed so i havent been doing much lately (husband and kids have been really good in helping around the house) so my fingers are crossed the all stays well with my pregnacy and the same for all of yous i hope all goes well with yous think of yous all

God Karen, how scary!!

This actually happened to my girlfriend on a lunch date with me! She was 9 weeks. I rushed her to the hospital and they said all was fine, but it didn't feel fine to her.

She went to a proper u/s centre for another optinion, and they found out she'd actually had twins, two separate sacs. One baby took and she is now 22 weeks and doing well.

The other baby must have not taken and stopped growing in the early cellular stage and therefore she lost that one. That explained the sudden gush at the cafe.

But I suppose because all is well with the other twin, she is really happy and hasn't let it effect her greatly. Might be worth going to a centre that has strong machines.

I'm in Melbourne and I use Monash IVF ultra sound for women. They are fantastic and pick up the slighest of issues as they are used to dealing with IVF pregnancies their equipment is amazing.

If you want another opinion and you are in Melbourne, get a referral and call them ASAP they might be able to shed some more light on this issue.

Keep strong, take care and fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast