Thread: Hip pain - is this normal?

Default Hip pain - is this normal?

Hi ladies
    Just wondered if anyone else was getting pains in their hips?

Yesterday when I woke up I stretched fully - forgetting for a second that I was pregnant and that it hurts to do that. Today after sitting for a few hours I am feeling very stiff and have to straighten up slowly as the side of my stomach and hip hurt.

Do you think i have just overstretched something?

Sorry this sounds silly now I am typing it but just wondered if anyone else gets the same thing.
    Thanks T.

Hi tess,

I get hip pain every now and then. Especially on my right hip. I actually have 3 veins popping out near my hip and this gets quite sore every now and then. I think the hip pain is from the body stretching out for the baby. I've gotten quite used to the little pangs and it seems to have reduced over the last week compared to before. I know when I wake up I get hip pain as I usually sleep on my side. I don't think it's anything to worry about

Oh Tess I could have written this message myself. My hips state aching if I lean on them for too long or sleep on them. I'm interested to see if other people have the same problem and if they have solutions.

x Mousie x Guest

Hi girls!

In my 2nd pregnancy i suffered from Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction. This is pretty much when the relaxin ur body produces when pregnant causes ur symphysis pubis joint which connects the two halves of ur pelvis to get supple and stretchy. This is needed so u are able to give birth naturally. However, with the dysfunction apparently one side of the pelvis moves more than the other when u move and causes pain. Oh yeah - because the ligaments in ur bikini line and hips are connected to the symphysis joint they will also get painful as well.

Sorry rambling on a bit here, it's a bit technical to explain, it's probably a better idea to mention it to ur doctor and get them to check it out.
    By the end of my pregnancy it was quite difficult to walk!

Hope I could be of help.

I have had sore hips for all of my pregnancy - getting worse now that I am heavier too. I'm told it's normal, and I guess with all the relaxin (like Mousie was talking about) we're not able to support the weight as well as we might otherwise...?
    It does sound like you had a bit of an over-stretch too. I hope it settles down for you soon. xx

Hi i have had "clicky" hips since i was about 10 weeks and i asked my dr and he said it was because of the relaxin. Try not to stress and if your too worried see your dr.

Thanks Ladies - it is a relief when you hear similar stories from others.

I will take it easy and mention it to the doctor if it gets worse. I have been VERY careful not to wake myself up by stretching anymore as it hurts my tummy.

Thanks again, T.

My hips ached from the moment I found out I was pg but my body seems to just pick up where my last pg ended :-) I went to the chiro which helped immensely but I have weird hips to start with. You have a lot of stretching going on in the first few months so you may have just overstretched. Hope you are feeling better soon.

AmyBaby Guest

My hips started aching from very early on, but that was always a dull ache.

Today, for most of the day on and off, i have been getting sharp pains in my right hip, right whre the highest point of the bone is. I did have a routine appointment with my GP today and i mentioned it to her. Sometimes it would be one quick sharp pain, othertimes itw ould last for 5 minutes and then go away for an hour or so.

She got me to lay down and she poked and prodded all over the place asking if it hurt. She couldn't find anything wrong and said to just monitor it over the next couple of days and if it doesn't go away to come back and see her.