Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listeria

*Megan* Guest

Would not have a clue Min - I am in the dark about these things like you :-s ...Lucy is the guru on this topic and has been an enormous help to us over the past few days...

Would like to know as well though

Megan

I wouldn't eat it as I was under the same impression as Christy, which brings me to ask...how is it ok to eat cooked cold prawns when other cooked meats are a no no? All the information I have says that pre cooked cold prawns are still a no no...hmmm conflicting LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Just wanted to add that I just rechecked the fact sheet for the australian food safety council and cooked cold prawns are a no no. They do have many many fact sheets available to look at.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Bugga bugga bugga! I've eaten prawns already too a few weeks ago 8-[

*Megan* Guest

Oh my god Cailin - can that be true about the prawns? That is so sad - and I am really confused now with all of the conflicting information!

Megan

Guys, it is complicated, and there are "conflicting" bits of information becasue of the time and number of processes that go on between raw food and the food that goes in your mouth.

With regard to cold cooked prawns or cold cooked anything the problem is that the time it takes food that has been cooked to cool down is quite long and do you know how it has been stored whilst it is cooling?

ie You cook some raw prawns on the bbq , then take them off the BBQ and leave them "to cool" on a plate whilst you cook the snags and have a gossip.........those prawns are coming back down to an ambient temp VERY slowly, in the open air, so I would NOT risk those prawns.

However, if you are cooking prawns in your kitchen, and as soon as they are cooked you devein them &put them on a clean plate at the back of the fridge, covered, they will go cold quickly, so these would be regarded as safe.

Same with cold chicken. For example, if you bought a cooked BBQ chook at Woolies and it was "cooling down" in the car and then you get home, unpack the shopping and put the chicken away, then I wouldn't risk this (not from a Listeria perspective, but from a Salmonella perspective.)

If however, you cook some chicken breasts to a very high temp in the oven, and then as soon as they are cooked put them covered in the fridge, then shred the meat for sandwhiches the next day, this would not be a risk.

I guess the best rule of thumb, and one that I follow, is, IF YOU ARE UNSURE, DON'T RISK IT!

Thanks Lucy, that clears that up, was looking forward to my chicken salad, so i am still going to have it. i never buy cooked cold meats from supermarket or anywhere because like you said, you dont know how they were cooled, but I do eat cooked cold meat from home, because I know how I cool it and how it is stored etc.

Agree totally, if I cook at home and know what I am doing then I feel fine with most foods, as I know how its been prepared or stored. But I wouldn't be so sure if I ate at a friends or a restaurant. So I would only then eat what I knew would be safe from listeria. I made sure I never ate from a buffet, or food court (unless you could order something freshly cooked), and if I was going to have take away/fast food I always asked for everything to be made fresh.

But yeah I agree with lucy, if your not sure don't take the risk

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ha ha Cailin.........that reminds me of an embarassing story of when I was pg with Olivia..........a friend did a cold meat/cheese platter, and I didn't eat anything from it, becasue I wasn't sure how long it had been out for, how fastidious she might have been in her preparation etc.

A few weeks later they came round to our place for drinks and I had done a similar platter......and of course I ate stuff from it! (Becasue I know I had prepared it and that it was all fine!)

She never actually said anything, but I did get some funny looks from her hubby!!

Okey dokey, I don't want to harp on about it, but just wanted to see what you guys think....

We sell frozen cooked prawns at work. They are caught out at sea, cooked & frozen on the container ship & then brought back here in the frozen container. They then go into freezers at the supplier, onto freezer trucks into our warehouse then into my freezer at home. What do you think about how we should thaw them to eat? Usually we just leave them covered in the fridge overnight. Do you think that's still ok??

Funny that your friend never commented Lucy!

Wow so complicated! Thanks Lucy so much for the info!

Sarah, I reckon they are ok as long as they have been frozen the whole time. and defrosting them in the fridge is the best way to do it, as they still stay cold enough for the bacteria not to grow. I'd eat em.

thanks for all the info lucy!

it makes it easier to understand these things when someone says in detail

take care
    Lesley

Hi Guys

I want to cook some burgers tonight that contain Fetta. If I get a pasturised one and then it is heated when the burgers cook is that ok? Or should I take the fetta out do you think?

Thanks!

Jen,

If you cook the burgers on the well done side to high temps I would imagine you would be OK. But if you are unsure at all, don't risk it!

Thanks Lucy
    I'll have a think about it, but if I do use it I'll cook the absolute s**t out of them!

ellen, i heard that bringing to room temp without covering tightly as well and not refrigerating hot food was the safest way too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12