Thread: Mayonnaise?????...

Question Mayonnaise?????...

I'm 10 and a half weeks and I'm craving potato salad so have made one and then it occurred to me that I may not be able to have it because of the mayo?? I know raw egg is a no-no but is it ok in mayo???

Please say it's ok - I want to eat my salad!!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

As long as the mayo is not full egg mayo u will be fine

Bluntly NO!!!!!!!

So long as its not fresh (ie processed) its fine so I was told by my ob

Well just googled it and it says if the egg is pasterurized it is okay, but when I seen my dietician he said no!!!! Now I am not sure, better to be safe than sorry, so I will stay clear of it, I also have seen that soft cheese is safe because most of it now pasterurized, but I won't be eating that either.

Thanks all - just did a little research, turns out the normal Kraft stuff has been pasteurised so is all good - yay! Looking forward to my yummy salad for dinner!

I would eat mayo out of a jar, but not at a restaurant since I couldn't be sure it wasn't homemade, and hence, had raw egg in it.

I have been loving perinaise from nachos!!!

Mayo with there chilli sauce stuff in it.

I have also had sandwiches at food courts from places that I know are big names.

Default na

I personally wouldn't touch anything alcohol soft cheese deli meats, soft ice cream caffein etc..

A friend of mine was 33 weeks pregnant had 1 little piece of Brie cheese and, 24 hours later the baby died from lysteria and she had a still born.

It's 9 months i wouldnt risk it.

I have coke to drink (but i am not a coffe or tea drinker) and dont drink it all the time, caffeine is ok on a daily basis as long as not to excess.

As for the food on the listeria list i was eating ham till about 12 weeks when i couldnt face it anymore BUT i would get it cut fresh and eat in that day!!

Food handling in austarila is very good and i am very pickey where I will eat from.

Thats very sad about your frined.

Enchanted Guest

That is sooooo freaky Tan! I haven't made potato salad in over a year and I made it today too

Enjoy it

All my doctors have told me to avoid mayo.

The thing to remember with listeria is that it can rear it's ugly head up til 70 days (info from the info at the midwife clinic at my hospital) after you've eaten something contaminated with it and often you don't get symptoms so you wont know you have it until it causes a problem with bubs.

I say avoid it til the birth. Having had 3 unexplained losses already I'm not taking any risks.

Same as Cai, as long as it's pasteurised I've been told it's fine. Couldn't live without mayo on my salad sandwiches over summer!

i have asked my OB and GP about mayo and was told that if you open a new jar then you can eat it but only within 12hrs - after that it becomes a danger food. same with home made (literally home made) pate
    i have never been strict with no may in pg, but this time round i am being very careful and only eat mayo when i have opened the jar (all i get is about 1tsp in whatever i am eating, so not really worth it.. )
    and trust me the no mayo thing is really hard - we have a deli and almost every dip or salad has mayo in it.
    DIDi, thats absolutely shocking about your friend - no words.

Default ya

Yup.. it was HORRIFIC!!! I am not willing to take any chances... how much is too much?? ever know.. same as alcohol.. cannot prove if only 1 drink gives your baby FAS alchohol syndrom.. so .. why drink?

you know when i was preg with dd i didnt know i needed to avoid anything, and had the most lovely, stress free, uncomplicated pregnancy.

Knowledge is power, but it is also pain (especially when you just want some mayo!!)

not to put a damper, but after hearing too many loss stories, and on this site there are many a case in point - whether it be early, mid, late or other.. if not eating that food is one more thing we can do to protect our bubs then, hey let's all remember here, cravings are cravings.. i want this or that -- and i know it can be tough, but 9mths later when you holding that precious lil wriggling bub it'll all be worth it.. really it will!
    (nb. not inferring in anyway that any of these losses were due to any food intake or the like, just saying one more thing to avoid, is not such a hard measure for the safety of you and your lil one)
    hope i didnt' step on anyone's toes.. (and if i did, i think you'll come round eventually - one more thing food wasn't the same 15-20yrs ago,, we weren't eating so much crap - maybe food safety has gone up, but crap in food has too)