Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was my scan too early?

Default Was my scan too early?

Hi all,

Had an appt with my dr today after yday's u/s failed to show anything at all - no sac no nothing....
    My b/t had HCG levels of 9000, so Dr says I 'was' somewhere between 5-7 weeks. I'm having another blood test on Monday, but Dr seems to think I am no longer pregnant I'm still feeling very ill (all -day sickness), still getting the 'movement' feelings downstairs and am still piddling like there's no tomorrow. Has anyone had a scan 'too early' which showed nothing, only to find that in a later scan the embryo and sac showed up?

was it an internal scan?
    I have found that a 5 week scan doesn't always show up unless it's internal.
    Are you spotting or bleeding?
    I've got my fingers crossed for you honey!!

When I first saw my GP at 4 weeks he told me that an ultrasound won't be effective until around 7 - 8 weeks. Maybe it was too early.

Hi Snoopea,
    No it wasn't an internal - my Dr said that because the sonographer had commented that he could clearly see that my endometrial lining was thickened that he probably didn't think it necessary to do an internal - as he probably believed that the scan was clear enough.
    Unfortunately yes the reason that I had the scan early was because I had some very light intermittent spotting and late last week I passed some clear discharge with a small dark brown clot in it. I haven't had any severe cramping or any pain at all, but I asked to have a scan so that we could make sure everything was ok. Today my Dr said that it's strange that if I have mc that I haven't been 'bleeding', and even stranger that the scan didn't even show the sac... I'm confused and very upset at the moment.....

Clare, I also think it must of been too early - you should go back in another week for an u/s - my doc wouldn't let me go until at least 7 weeks - I did have some spotting at 6 weeks but she still said to wait until 7 to make sure everything should be there.

good luck

I had very heavy bleeding earlier this year at 6 weeks, after it settled down i had an ultrasound and they could only find the sac via an internal ultrasound. At the time they measured the sac and predicted I was only 5 weeks pregnant. They told me i needed to wait another 2 weeks until they could do another ultrasound that would be more conclusive. (I lost my baby a week later.)

So i would wait a couple more weeks...i know each day will be long and agonising.

Another option is to get your HCG levels checked again...if they are still rising that should be a good sign.

Good luck...i am thinking of you

Hi Butterflies,
    Thank you for your kind thoughts it's lovely to know that there are sympathetic ears out there - it's a nice feeling I've got a referral for a blood test on Monday next week to check to see if my HCG levels have increased, my Dr has explained that if the levels are up around 30000 then we will need to do another u/s to find out where the baby is (fingers crossed), but if the levels have dropped then we can safely say that I would have had a mc. He's indicated to me that he thinks that the levels won't have increased and that I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I'm still getting all of the same pregnancy signs - shouldn't these have stopped?
    Last edited by ClareBear28; April 27th, 2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Wrong figure put in original post

All my pregnancy signs stopped prior to the start of my miscarriage (i lost twins a week apart - didn't know i had twins). I jokingly said to my hubby that morning "i don't really feel pregnant this morning". Didn't think much of it until i started bleeding.

Everyone is different though...

Keep trying to be positive...i am as so nervous with this pregnancy but am trying to stay as positive as possible.

Monday must seem so long away...i hope everything goes well though

Thanks for your reassuring words, I'm sorry about your previous loss, keep your chin up with this pregnancy - I'll say a little fairy prayer for you

Hi Clare,

I had some light bleeding and at 6 weeks and my doctor gave me a referral for an u/s. The external u/s didn't show anything so they did an internal ultrasound which showed a healthy heartbeat.

Fingers crossed for you that the bt results are good.

Thanks Claire,

This last week has given me time to come to terms with the possibility that I may not be a Mum this time round, I haven't given up hope, but I am more prepared (if that's possible) for if the results aren't good. I'll let you all know on Tuesday what the bt results say. Thankyou so much for your good wishes

I haven't had your experience, but I'd be getting another ultrasound done. The standard practice if they can't find what they are looking for with an external u/s is to do an internal one, and this is very common with early scans. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, different matter if you'd had an internal and they couldn't find anything. Best of luck with your BT.

Thanks Satya,
    I got the b/t today but have to wait until 2moro for the results. I guess the results will determine whether it's necessary for another ultrasound - fingers crossed!

Good Luck Clare with the blood test results today!

Good luck with the results Clare *crosses fingers*

Clare, I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!!
    Best of Luck with your results!!
    Kelly

there is an excellent level of HCG and a beautiful HB there for you hun.

I had a scan with DS at 5 weeks 4 days and they couldnt see anything by doing the scan on my tummy. They then did the internal and were able to see him then.
    Fingers crossed its just too early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast