Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal? Lack of info etc.

Default Is this normal? Lack of info etc.

I feel really strange about this and have been thinking about it alot.

I went to the dr to get blood tests to have my pregnancy confirmed etc, and then i went back to get the results.

Obviously he done a whole host of other tests aswell, and quickly went through all my results...and then i was off on my own with the next visit at 12 weeks. he gave me a sheet of when i have appts and who they are with (im going public, shared care). he told me to ring the hospital to book in my first visit. the lady said ring back when your 11 weeks, to make the 12 week appt. hmm. ok.

I dont know what i expected, but it wasnt this. This is my first pregnancy and i thought i would get some information or something. im just confused. so thats it, one quick go thru my results and im on my own.

is this normal? is this what its liek when you go public? or should i find another dr???

kizzy Guest

I'm going private so I don't think I can offer any advice for you. Mind you I have to wait until Wednesday to get a referral. I rang to OB's yesterday and I need to book asap as both only take about 12 per month and April is already completely booked out for one of them.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

No that's pretty much it. It's quite a non event until you hit 12 weeks and even then it's not much until you get further along and you have to have weekly appointments etc. Most of your pregnancy you will find is just waiting for things to happen, waiting for u/s, waiting for dr's appointments, waiting for the baby. Different hospitals have different ways of doing things.

Have a look at this thread to see how hospitals differ.

Yep, pretty much the same thing for me for my first pg too. After i had the pg confirmed, and I went to my then GP at about 7 weeks, he asked me why was I there, and I was like "um, because i'm pg and shouldn't I be seeing a Dr?" sort of thing. Although with my next 2 pg's my GP (who also attends the birth) gave me a full medical workup on my first visits at 8 weeks, inluding bloods, BP, breast exam, the works. Although I still didn't get the yellow pre-natal card until 12 weeks.

sherie, thats what i was thinking. shouldnt there be more appts?

it just seems for something so huge, you dont get told much. ive been looking up the net etc on what im meant to do and not do. it just seems very bizarre.

so my first visit was 4 weeks to get blood taken, back just before 5 weeks to get results and then nothing till 12 weeks.

i did get my yellow antenatal card though!

thanks heaps, i will check out that link now.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You could maybe pass the time by doing some reading. Up the Duff by Kazz Cooke is a great and funny read. You'll definitely get a lot more info if you read stuff, books and BB are wonderful resources and will give you plenty of knowledge, will also help you think of questions you may want to ask your dr if you want further info.

Yeah - this is the suckiest bit of being pregnant!! It kills to wait so long for your first appt, but its just the way they do it in the public system.
    I have my feelings for why they do this - but no need to go into here.
    My dr doesn't discuss the results with me unless there is something out of the ordinary, so for me it was hearing nothing from 5-12w!!! Its a total killer, but you'll be fine.
    They will likely give you a dating scan on your first checkup, so look forward to that. Its VERY exciting!!

Sounds pretty much like my public experience.

Make sure you're at least taking folate and possibly iodine supplements if you aren't already. Folate supplements are important for the first few weeks when the neural tube is closing. If you are in australia, iodine supplementation is also recommended - its most important in 2nd and 3rd trimesters. The Blackmores Pregnancy&Breast Feeding tablets are good, or they have a Folate+Iodine one.

You don't necessarily need an actual iodine supplement, just using iodised salt should be sufficient, unless you have a diagnosed iodine deficiency.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I took the Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding vitamins right throughout my pregnancy and for the short time that I breastfed. I did this because I knew then I was getting all the vitamins and minerals I needed, especially if I wasn't/couldn't eat properly.

Sounds about right. The GP had just had a baby of her own, just back from maternity leave, so I think we did quite well, but she just sent off a referral and we were to hear from the hospital, DH worried about my diet (being a vegetarian is NOT going to hurt the baby!) and she said if I were to take supplements make sure that they're pregnancy ones, which I already knew... then at the scan I had a midwife consultation which really was just "this is the blood test, do you want it, this is the next test, do you want it..." the only controversty was over the fact I'm not too keen on a hospital birth. Some midwives would prefer me to have a hospital birth, but I've not met "my" midwives yet so have to see what they like.

I received more advice from BB than I did in the books they gave me to read, in fact I was told only to read their books and nothing else so I learnt what they wanted me to know... I'd rather learn everything! If I can write an essay (still!) on lizard embryonic development then I want to be able to do the same about Liebling!

Yeh you don't need a supplement if you are getting enough in your diet. Fish (not shark/flake, swordfish etc for pregnant women though!) is a good source of iodine and milk can contain varying amounts. There is some in meat and vegetables too. Iodized salt (make sure the salt container says its Iodized) contains 2565 micrograms per gram of salt. Pregnent women need more iodine than normal - about 200micrograms per day and many don't get quite enough here because our soil is "old" and contains low levels of iodine. One of the main reasons why you need more is because your kidneys filter more out when you are pregnant.

Its bad to have way too much iodine as well... And people with thyroid problems should check it out with their doctor before taking supplements...

I just mentioned the blackmores pregnancy&breastfeeding tablets because they now contain somewhere around the daily requirement, as do their folate+iodine ones.

The reason why iodine is important is its an ingredient of thyroid gland hormones, which in turn do a lot of things, but have an important role in the baby's brain development amongst other things. Extreme iodine deficiency (nonexistent in australia) results in "cretinism".

Quote Originally Posted by Sherie
    You don't necessarily need an actual iodine supplement, just using iodised salt should be sufficient, unless you have a diagnosed iodine deficiency.

Yeah that was basically it for me too both times around. My GP was a bit more helpful this time offering advise on books to read up for making decisions as I think I went into things a bit in the dark last time.

Make sure you read up on important things in your first trimester about things like food etc and diet & exercise things that you will have to decide on now. I joined BB when I was 5 weeks pregnant & it really helped me through pregnancy. Read all the pregnancy articles on the main site & also go to other sites & books and read up all you can about the first trimester. Up the Duff is a fantastic read, easy & humerous.

Its a very stressful time & many women are left unsupported through it. Another idea is looking up a birth attendant because they can be a valuable source of information & support from early pregnancy.

jja, yes I do know about Cretinism and problems with the thyroid due to lack of iodine, I just don't think it is necessary to take all these supplements if you don't know that you really need them. Correcting a possible iodine imbalance can be as simple as using iodised salt. If someone is really worried, they can ask their Dr for a test.

I'm going public too. I rang the hospital and tried booking in straight after I found out I am pregnant. I also called my GP too and he told me a few things that I should/shouldnt do, like take folate.
    The hospital told me to get some blood tests and booked me in for a booking in appointment with a midwife - that appointment was when I was 10 weeks, where they asked a zillion questions and gave me a huge stack of reading material and told me what to/what not to do (bit late though really), and they told me not to come back until I am 18-20 weeks. I thought there would be mroe appointments too, but it seems there is not.

Hi,
    I also am going public and my experiance was nearly the same as yours. I went for confirmation, then i went back a week later for my yellow card. I was told to book into the hospital @ 10 weeks and i went back to the doc after that.
    You are supposed to have appointments every 4 weeks until 28 weeks and then every 2 weeks till 37 weeks and weekly after that.
    I hope this helps, I know its a bugger to wait for so long, BUT on the upside my doctor said "just sit back relax and let the little one grow!" Thats all you can do at this stage.
    Jenni

ok thanks guys. so long as i know that this is the norm, and that im not just getting really crappy care.

i am taking the blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding tablets! ive ceased alcohol and caffeine...and drum roll please...ive quit smoking!!! yep, thats a biggie and im very proud!

i have a pretty good diet and have had a look at what i should be steering clear of etc. i could probably do with a bit more exercise, but i guess im doing pretty well.

bring on 12 weeks, i cant wait to see our baby!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Congrats on quitting smoking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast