Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT Scan - earliest day possible?

Default NT Scan - earliest day possible?

Hi everyone

I've read that the NT scan can be done any time from 11 and a half weeks through to thirteen weeks, but I encountered some hostility on this point when I rang today to make an appt to get it done at 11 weeks 6 days.

My DH leaves on a long trip 2 days later and the stupid imaging place isn't open on weekends so if we don't get it done on that day, he won't see his baby at all until it is born.

Can anyone tell me - what was the earliest day you were able to successfully get your NT measurements done?

Hi Marydean
    I was told just yesterday at my dr appt that anywhere between 11-13 weeks and the earlier the better. So I would just tell the imaging place that is the day that you want the scan and to just book it in. Your dr should be able to back you up on that.
    Good luck and stand firm - see you in belly buddies thread soon

clare076 Guest

The time frame we have been given by KEMH is 11 weeks to 13 weeks and 6 days. However, if your baby is measuring slightly smaller than gestational age, they may have difficulty getting an accurate measurement. That might be why they are encouraging you to wait a while longer. If you are sure of your dates just tell them that you are booked to go on holiday and wont be back until after 14 weeks gestation, that way they really have no choice and its only a little white lie.

Forgot to say, Max only measured slightly over 11 weeks when we had the NT scan, the girl was hesitant at first but decided to give it a go.

Thanks ladies, I feel justified in staring down the receptionist chick on this point! I don't imagine lil Dewey will be measuring small for dates, DH and I are both large, well nourished ppl and bubs measured exactly spot on for dates at the 6 week scan!

Clare, thanks for the fib suggestion but I think I'll just assert myself on this one - since I'm paying over $180 for the service they can bloody well do it when I tell them too!!!!!!!

put your foot down Marydean...tell them its the only day you can do it because of your husband.

Worse case scenario, is they cant get all measurements, and you get to go back a week later again. But atleast Dad gets to see his bub.

Good luck!

Danni, thanks that what I thought. Though we thought it would be nice, once we see everything is good on the day and the measurements seem ok, that we get to tell ppl we are PG before he heads off (it will be a huuuuuge weekend)!

Caro, I am doing shared care through my GP. I forgot to ask for the form last time I saw here, will see her again next week. She will do whatever I ask her, I'm sure.

I got told by the imaging place you could get it done between 11 and 13 weeks.
    They actually gave me a date I could have the scan which was like 11wks 3 days but I went when I was 12 + 4 so DH could come too.
    If its only one day, I dont get what their problem is. I'd be ringing and telling them that is the ONLY day you can go otherwise you can go at all, and you really want this scan etc. Or try a different ultrasound place?

heidi Guest

Hey Marydean,

Went for mine yesterday - i was right on the border 11w 4d. She gave it a go but we were just a tad early, but she did say better too early than too late though! We could have gone in tomorrow and been just fine - she said it was just luck of the draw sometimes. But you will be past that borderline by then - worst case scenario is you get to see an early pic of bub with your hubby and that you have to come back. Which isn't bad at all!

Hope that receptionist doesn't put up too much of a protest! Good luck.

hi there
    i was told I could do this from 11 weeks onwards. I have just booked it for the day I am exactly 12 weeks.. they should understand if you have to go a few days earlier and i think this is usually ok, after all it is your risk that you have to pay again for another one. I think worth it for the dad to see the little one!persevere! i think often the people you deal with forget just how exciting this is for you as they deal with it every day!

between 11 1/2 and 13 1/2 weeks

mines booked in for 12wk 4 days but is only costing 70 with a video tape??? are u guys in a diff area or have i just found somehwere cheap??? mr dr even suggested somewhere that bulk bills but its not 4d and possibly not as good which is why we are going with this one...

Princess1979 Guest

noni e,

mine is booked at 12 weeks but it's consting me $225.00 plus $85.00 for the blood test. They did tell me that I can get some money back from medicare.

heidi Guest

noni*e*, you are onto a ripper deal there! Take 3!!!

Mine cost $170 (no video tape) and I think we get about half back from medicare. I'm on the Gold Coast.

Mine is $110. I've already had the blood test and that was bulkbilled through Medicare.

I am booked in for Monday when according to my LMP I will be 11 weeks exactly. I was going to call them tomorrow to confirm, because most of my cycles after I went off the pill were 5 weeks. So I might only be 10 weeks. Don't want to have to go through it all again, so I might change it to the following week, just in case.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have booked it in and I'm sure the actual radiologist will be quite good about it (it's those receptionists who love to wield the tiny ounce of power they have that are the problem here) LOL. I agree, it is an expensive exercise, there is a zero chance of a video, and beggars can't be chosers because there are not enough of any medical services here in Canberra - it's just another regional area in that regards!

i cant believe the prices you guys are paying!!!

I am going public, so all of my scans were free! All blood tests were free as well, EXCEPT for the down syndrome test which cost $60 out of pocket

Hi Marydean
    I just saw your comment about being in Canberra! I am moving to Canberra in a few weeks and I agree with you about the services available... I moved back from the Uk a few weeks ago and I am in Melbourne now but we are moving to Canberra in a few weeks (when I will be 12-13 weeks pg) and it is SO HARD to get info about what is available, I had to beg and cry to get into an OB etc etc. Have you found it all quite hard to arrange? I am shocked how little info and services there are... when are you due?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast