Thread: pap smear using dna fingerprinting to replace amniocentisis?

Default pap smear using dna fingerprinting to replace amniocentisis?

hi all, has anyone heard of the new test that can replace the amnio? it is australian and it can detect the same foetal abnormalities but at only 6 weeks! they do a pap smear and use dna technology to diagnose. can be done by a gp too! and no risk of foetal loss! =D>

OMG that sounds almost too good to be true!!!! I hope tat it really does work so well adn it replaces amnio soon!!!

is it ok to post the link so all can read it?

probably not - if we google "......." tho could we find it....

Default oops!

was posted by bellybelly in march in 'T.V., News, Events and Current Affairs' page 7 i think 'Alternative to amniocentesis - article' sorry... isnt it out yet!!!

oh if its a bely belly link within the site its ok to post...

This is the article here Michelle http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7947

It sounds great. I hope it is up and running by now. I'll have to ask my OB at my first appt.

Links within the BB forums and to the main site are fine. We don't allow any links to other sites

i just rang my ob at gosford and he says he hasnt heard of it... :smt022 that means he will want me to have the amnio as i am 36 now but i dont care how small the risk i dont want it...not like i would terminate anyway, what you get is what you get! oh well...just my luck for it to be not out yet!!!

Hi lermshell

I am so happy to hear you say that. Why test and take the risk if you are not going to terminate. With the test there is a 2% chance of miscarrage.

in 1991 my son was born with a metabolic disorder and while it has been a struggle i would never get rid of a child just because it is not perfect... i was pressured to have all kinds of tests when i again fell pregnant that i managed to refuse! how could i tell my son that i got rid of his sister or brother because they were like him? my doctor gets very frustrated with me as i only do the tests with no risks attached ](*,)