Thread: Is papsmear safe in early pregnancy?

Question Is papsmear safe in early pregnancy?

My GP says it's safe in early pregnancy and I'm due for one today. (last one was two years ago)

My appointment is this morning but I'm sooo nervous! Normally Papsmear's don't bother me but now that I'm pregnant I'm just a little anxious about it...... is there any risk whatsoever that I could miscarry? Will it cause any spotting/bleeding?

Have any of you girls had to have one in early pregnancy?

TIA.

Hi Renstar

I was due for one before I got pregnant with my third baby and my ob chose to wait until after I had the baby before doing it. I didnt question why as I was just happy not to have one so I am not sure if it was becasue there was any risk or just because she was not an ob who did lots of internals during pregnancy iykwim.

This doesnt really help you but in my opinion if it was me I would wait unless I had a higher risk of cervical cancer or had previously had abnormal smears.
    take care
    Jem

Thanks Jemima..... yeah I don't want to do anything I'm not comfortable with, it's just taken us a long time to fall pregnant I don't want to risk it

I wouldnt do it if you dont feel comfortable.

I was due for a pap smear in the first trimester of my first pregnancy. Two different GPs refused to do it as they both said there is a small risk of causing a miscarriage.

I would suggest you wait until after the baby is born. Better to be safe than sorry!!

Yeah, I agree, I was due for one and my ob said since all previous had been fine, was best to wait until after bubs was born. If it was me I would wait!

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I had a pap at about 20 weeks. My GP didn't want to do it until I was in 2nd trimester.

I had one at about ten weeks.

My GP said best NOT to do but it was quite a while (6 years) since my last one. I asked my GP whether there was any treatment that could be done while pregnant if the test was positive and she said no, so there didn't seem any point having one then stressing if the results were bad if I couldn't have any treatment.

Then when I saw my ob, he said GPs don't like to do them but they are quite safe. He also said there WAS treatment that could be given and best to know one way or the other. He said he does them all the time and GPs are just nervous about it because they don't do them so often on pregnant women.

So ... not sure what to advise you. If you have an ob then I'd probably get one done by him/her instead of the GP if it makes you feel more comfortable about the whole thing.

I am overdue for one Ren, and as the others have already said, my Dr and a MW said absolutely no way. I wasn't too keen on the idea either.

My GP refused to do one while I was in the TWW after an IVF transfer.

I've had spotting/bleeding after every single one, so for me personally - having one while pregnant - HELL NO!!!

BW

Well, I rang and cancelled my appointment at 8am as I just went with my gut feeling and my heart said "don't do it!!" it just didn't feel right..... and after reading all your posts, well it just confirms to me that i've made the right decision so thank you.

Besides, like someone said, if they find something abnormal, there isnt alot they can do for me until after bubs is born.... i'll just wait til the 6wk check up...(post birth)

I rang the receptionist to cancel my appointment and the lady said to me "well that's really bad notice you could have told us yesterday as we could have filled your spot!!" and then she went "uggghh" and like sighed..... so because she was such a rude cow to me, I said to her "well, my car only JUST broke down if i had of known this was going to happen i would have called yesterday!" (I don't lie often but I had to think of a good excuse to shut her up cos she was giving me a hard time for cancelling)
    and she just said "okay" and hung up on me!!! Geez I could have not even rung them to advise them! I'm sure so many ppl don't even ring the surgery to advise they won't be showing!!!

I think I'll be finding a new GP...... (thanks to the receptionist staff they are always rude) Mind you, it takes at least 8 days to get an appointment with this GP so i'm sure they'll find someone to replace me instantly!

A bit late, I know, but I too wait until post birth to have my pap smears. Better safe than sorry I say.
    And yes, I agree with you that you should consider changing dr's, how rude of that receptionist! And 8 days to see your dr, OMG! I ring my dr, and get in that day.

I had one when I was PG with Angus and my GP was more than happy to do it but she didn't do the part that checks the internal cervix. She also recommended the thin prep test so she could take a sample which is a lot gentler as they need less cells. You need to pay about $50 for that but I was happy to. There has been cervical cancer in my family and it was a risk I was willing to take for peace of mind. Everything was good.

I have to add that any GP that does the pap with the wooden scraper needs to move up with the times. The new way of doing it is soooo much more comfortable and it's only a little bit of embarrassment involved and barley any ouchies at all. in fact I didn't even feel the last one I had about 6 months ago and I was surprised when she removed the speculum and said I didn't believe her when she said it was over!

I've booked in with another GP (seen her before and she's nice) and I got in tomorrow afternoon!! Not much waiting at all! That's how it should be! So i'll get all my records changed over to her surgery. And start fresh The receptionist's are always very friendly and lovely there too!!

Just don't like being treated like trailor park trash!!

(going to see this GP about my scan referral) definitely waiting til after birth for the papsmear.

Hi Ren,
    WOW you are already 6 weeks, how wonderful. I agree with the other ladies. I don't like any thing invasive going on down there while I'm pg. The fact that you had one done 2 years ago is good and really you only have to wait until after bub is born, not so long. I think that aside from the risk that can be associated with Pap smear in pg in regard to m/c, i also worry about infection being passed on from Dr's. I personally have no internals, stretch and sweep(in last part of pg), or anything while I'm pg. But again that is just my personal opinion. I think you made the right choice. I am keeping an eye on your posts to make sure your OK, I hope you don't mind I am so happy to see you in the pg threads.

Sounds like you made the right decision Ren - I was due to have one also but my doctor decided that I should just wait - like yourself I'm not that big a fan of having something up there that doesn't totally need to be there - glad that you found a new GP - sometimes I think that's 2/3rds of the battle

I had one done at my first ob appointment last week, I felt a little pressured into getting it and I guess the guilt that I hadn't had one in a few years swayed me to say yes.

Aww thanks Mumrach! That means alot to me! I notice you are doing well aswell! Way to go...

Thanks ladies. I'm upset that I'm changing my GP, only reason I am is because of the receptionists there, they are sooo rude! To everyone, all the time.... and it's not a nice environment to sit and wait for my GP in especially as i'm pregnant now and I want the best possible care, not half-attitude care.... iywkim? So i'm going elsewhere and don't feel comfortable enough to tell my GP as to why, i'll just disappear..... besides the GP wasn't 'the best' i've found anyway.... I'll keep looking