Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-made salads

Quote Originally Posted by Fee
    Not all sushi has raw fish.
    Sorry, I don't eat the stuff so I didn't know.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kyliealysha
    Quote Originally Posted by Fee
    Not all sushi has raw fish.
    Sorry, I don't eat the stuff so I didn't know.
    That's alright! I don't eat it either! I just know that it can have cooked fish and even things like chicken etc.

angelique Guest

DGirl,

The food poisoning didn't happen when you were pregnant did it?

It is soo hard to make fresh food everyday when u are working and exhausted. I find leftovers unreal but I think now I will be even more careful.

Fee Guest

I've been eating leftover rice. But I've been re-heating it until steaming.

It's too hard to have fresh food every day. My lunches are always leftovers from the previous night's dinner.

Hopefully everything will be fine! Basically when I dish the dinner up, I put a serve into a container and immediately put it in the fridge or freezer. Then when I re-heat it the next day I totally zap it!

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip
    Fee! I have heard that putting hot food immediately in to the fridge or freezer is actually the WORST thing you can do for bacteria production!!!!!
    (my friends DP is a chef and she told me this)

The switch from one temp to another is an environment where bacteria can be produced.

I was told to let food cool to room temperature and then put it in the fridge or freezer.

This being said i have been avoiding leftovers because i just dont trust that no bacteria has been created, and i totally agree with u that preparing fresh food is so hard and it is taking heaps of my time at the moment.
    Really? I always used to let my food cool on the bench first and then put it in the fridge. But then I read that it wasn't good to do that. So I changed!

Who knows!

All I know is that by re-heating the leftovers until steaming you should kill all bacteria.

I guess its a bit like the girls who say that they'll eat salami etc if cooked.

Another food question. You always hear about deli meats ... but what about other deli products, like olives? Are these okay to eat? Does anyone know?

Hi there,
    I would exercise caution with eating foods out of the deli cabinet at all. There could be cross contamination from say ham to olives etc. I am a little over cautious as I have a friend who lost a baby due to the listeria bacteria. She believes she got it from a ****tail party but is obviously not certain. Having said that I do think that there is a little bit of 'listeria hysteria' today. Listeria isn't that common but interestingly I saw a program on the abc about food outlets and 6 out of 10 kebab shops (that the show covered) had listeria in their salads. Pretty scary. So, I just don't go there.
    I believe the rule is to heat all food until it is steaming to prevent contamination. Because of my friend I eat no cold meats while I am pregnant. I find for lunches I make up a big pot of soup on the weekend. Some weeks chicken, somtimes beef sometimes minestrone and I freeze it in packets to have for lunch each day. This is a super easy lunch and it is very very healthy.
    Salami and ham etc isn't a problem if it is cooked an served steaming hot. Listeria is actually killed by the heat and grows in a col environment I believe. The ANZFS has a website all about food safety in pregnancy which is really good.
    Love to you all
    Deb

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild
    Listeria isn't that common but interestingly I saw a program on the abc about food outlets and 6 out of 10 kebab shops (that the show covered) had listeria in their salads. Pretty scary. So, I just don't go there.
    How hilarious is that (sort of). I just ate a kebab today! 8-[ I hate going to the shopping centre food courts. There is pretty much nothing to eat. The safest thing is probably hot chips!

The cut up salad at the kebab place looked decent so I went for it.

But I think I'll just eat a sandwich at home first next time!

Fee,
    I am so sorry if I have caused you to feel stressed. I am sure you will be right. I certainly ate at them with my first pregnancy without any ill effect. Now, with what happened to my friend I just wouldn't do it. As I said it isn't super easy to contract so I am sure you will be fine.
    Sorry again,
    Deb

Fee Guest

Thanks guys. I won't eat another kebab again!

But I didn't eat any of the meat. Yuck there's no way I would touch that even if I wasn't pg! I have salad or felafel and salad.

smelly Guest

Hi ladies
    I can't say that I know much about food poisoning, but when it comes to refrigerating leftovers, I do exactly as Fee said: when serving my meal I put the leftovers in a suitable container and stick them immediately in the fridge/freezer. It was my understanding that the "danger" period that permits most types of bacteria to grow in food is actually the intermediate temperatures between hot and cold, so the faster you can decrease the temp of the food the better (it gives the bacteria less time to thrive). I never leave food on the bench to cool to room temperature. However, I always pay particular attention to WHERE I put hot leftovers in the fridge/freezer. If you put a hot container anywhere near frozen products, dairy foods etc you could quite easily heat or semi-thaw those products and get sick when you eat them. I also make sure that there is plenty of room for cold air to circulate around the container of left-overs to make for efficient cooling. Oh, and because Listeria can live in refrigerated conditions, I wont eat left-overs unless they've been reheated to a very high temp and have been refrigerated for less than 1 day.
    As I said, I really am not an expert on food safety/hygiene, but I am pretty particular in the food handling department and can honestly say I've never had food poisoning. (Fingers crossed I keep it that way!!).
    Best wishes with your pregnancies!!

CharlieRae Guest

Default premade salads, rice etc

Hi All,

Flowerchild had some great advice. The Food Standards Australia New Awaland Website has some great advice on what to eat when pregnant.
    www.foodstandards.gov.au is the website.
    My darling other half works for FSANZ and is germ phobic. His advice on rice is don't eat it if it has been in the fridge more than 48hrs, then chuck it out and that goes for most leftovers.
    Freezing leftovers from hot is the best option as this reduces the temp of the food quickly and bugs are less likely to occur.
    No salad or fruit bars, no premade sandwiches, if you have to have take away then always choose hot stuff and avoid the salad option.
    No soft cheeses (cheeses made from unpastuerised milk), pates. Home made pate is ok if the liver is well cooked and eaten on the same day.
    No deli meats at all due to possible cross contamination and the fact that they have been sitting there for a while.
    As a result, we eat at home a lot or we go to a club and have meal with hot meat & veg and lots of chips. Chips are what I resort to when I need a little pick me up when out shopping and I am not overweight (13 weeks).

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

This is very interesting -now I am even more paranoid than ever.

Q.1 what about Ham on/off the bone cut fresh at Christmas for example
    ? cold prawns ? cold chicken (precooked the day before I am assuming)

Q.2 The dilemma of what to eat at relatives - Dh's kind of stepmother -so my MIL no2 . is having Christmas at their place and when I suggested we could cook vegetarian SIL some Salmon she said no cooking -

MY step MIL is a bit of a [email protected] at best of times and I think they will think I am being fussy if I say I want my own hot vegies and want to heat all my meat.

I mean it is Christmas and SIL doesn't eat the regular meat - how hard can it be to cook Salmon.

Q.3 the salads - how do you trust your family has prepared them safely (DH's family and even my own Mother I sometimes question -because she leaves food on bench to cool or out too long for my liking [-X )

I am worried they will make/buy them the day before ...

Q.4 fresh /home made fruit salad is it safe ? what about from shop ?

Lucky I was planning on telling them I was pregnant anyway this time after our 7wk scan.

Trish don't you just love Christmas and all of the family dynamics???

It's a hard one. Can you say: this baby is really precious to me and there is some precautions my doctor has asked that I take with regards to cold meats and salads. You could give her a brochure on listeria (available at Anzfs I think). This deflects this away from being your decision but one made for you by your carer...

The probability of you contracting the listeria bacteria from Christmas dinner at home is I would think minimal. However, the stress involved with wondering if what you ate was okay will be great (I am assuming).

Salads prepared the day before can be a bit dodgy. Could you offer to prepare the salads and do that on the day and wash everything really well and put it in the fridge? Then you will know that everything is as it should be. This is always a hard one. Cold prawns I would certainly give a wide berth to. Chicken cooked at home and prepared hygenically and refridgerated is probably okay. You popping it into the microwave and making sure it is well heated (steaming) is probably your best bet.

Have a look on the website. I hope I have helped. Remember though getting their noses a little out of joint is better than you stressing that you ate something a bit iffy (I think). The older women will say ' we didn't have that in our day and you all turned out ok'.. I am sure there is some validity in that statement however you need to decide what you feel comfortable with.
    Love to you
    Deb

thanks Deb for your help.

I am very outspoken and will challenge the step MIL all the way -btw we live 5mins away to go home and get my own supplies if nothing is suitable or I think anything is 'iffy'.

LOL some of the stuff my Step MIL sends us (her leftovers) - our vaccuum cleaner (opps dog) won't even eat it sometimes because it is a bit too old and iffy.

FIL & wife are doing meats -we are sharing salads and other ? I think

Not sure if MIL's adult family of 5 are coming ( talk about interesting dynamics) .My SIL said she really hoped they were not. They are the ones I would worry about what they make.

My SIL (DH's sis) is very good she would make sure if I told her why it was important to prepare on the day.

re: Christmas ham/ ham on the bone

I asked about this yesterday in the recipes thread coz I was looking at a very sad christmas lunch without it, and the lovely Cailin informed me that ham straight off the bone is the only one that's ok to eat cold. YIPPEE! She said she researched it for all the pregnant girls last year.

Hope that solves a bit of a christmas day dilemma for you ladies.

Bel

oops, double post

Bel

angelique Guest

Baby~amore!!!

WOW I am soo happy for you babe!! How are you holding up?

CONGRATULATIONS and I hope it all goes perfect for you.

U just tell the inlaws how it is and dont worry about their reactions. I have the same problem to so I just go in the kitchen and do what makes me feel better. Put things in the fridge, wash the salad yourself etc.

At least it is easier to tell your mum what makes you happy.

Thanks Ladies - great news about Ham off the bone

The advice is great.

I think the time to cool to room temp is the question - how long is too long out on the bench Brookey ?

Thanks Angelique - lovely to see your ticker ticking away.

It is more the other salads I was worried about not plain tossed ones.

I will take me own stash of food - I am already hungry every few hours.

what do you think about Subway - I see them bring out fresh salad to fill their counter trays often but when would they have cut it up ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast