Thread: pregnancy books

Default pregnancy books

Anyone got any good recommendations for pregnancy books?

I read the Naomi Woolf one a few years ago (misconceptions) which I thought was pretty interesting...

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Up the Duff by Kaz Cooke (sp?)
    anything by Dr Miriam Stoppard

Smile

I have "Conception, Pregnancy and Birth", By Miriam Stoppard. It is a great book and I got my copy of ebay for $12.00 including postage. It has heaps of info and plenty of colourful photos and pictures.

Definately Up the Duff but i'd recommend getting another one as well - one with week by week pictures etc, Up the Duff is very funny but sometimes didn't have as much info as I wanted.

Also when you're looking try and make sure the books have been writted in the last 5 years or so. I was given heaps of books written in the 70's and 80's and although they had been updated the pictures were hillarious! The men all had long hair and facial hair and the chapters on maternity clothes were classic! "Every woman should have at least one pair of dungarees and one all in one jump suit!!!"

Miriam Stoppard rocks, the pictures are really good "bonding-wise" - you can see pics of your baby at every development stage, which really helps me and DH. Not 3d photos, proper old-fashioned drawn pictures, so you can make out lots of detail.

Anything where people have mullet-cuts are also good, because it makes you feel so glam!

I really like the stuff in the Hayne's Baby Manual. They usually do car stuff and it's written as a manual and a guide for men, but the information in there - including the pre-conception and early years stuff - is very well written and informative.

The pregnancy diaries on this site are good too - it gives you a perspective on pregnancy that you really do need! I was given a ficticious diary to read by the midwife, but the diaries on here are a lot better - partly because you can also ask questions, and know it's a real person this happened to!

The Natural Way to a Better Pregnancy is an excellent book. It is by Franscesca Naish and Jeanette? There are 5 books in the series and they are all great. I also have ‘The Natural Way to Birth and Bonding’ and the Breastfeeding one. Up the Duff was a good, funny read. I didn’t like What to Expect when you are Expecting.

I also have Conception, Pregnany and Birth also.. I dont have it handy, but from memory it doesnt have a great deal of info on the really early stages on pregnancy, but has plenty of info about everything else.

I also have Up the Duff. I find it didnt have all the info I wanted sometimes and isnt quite as "clinical" as some of the other books as its written sort of like a diary.

I actually saw one today in Myer and I stood there and read half of it and it seemed really good and informative with pictures and had space to write down how youre feeling and little extra notes, but I didnt buy it. Silly me, I should have bought it... cant remember what its called now but if I do I shall post here again.

I got 'Birth' today and I'm really enjoying it. UTD is good but a bit light on for information sometimes. I like What to Expect when you're expecting but I can see why others don't.

I have what to expect when you're expecting - I like it although sometimes I wish that it went week by week as opposed to month by month - alot can happen in 4-5 weeks! I also have active birth which was recommended on BB (got it off ebay). Excellent read with very practical advice. I've heard up the duff is good in a laid back funny kind of way!

ATM I have What to expect, and UTD. I like having the combination as although UTD is very amusing, and gives you a week by week guide, it is a bit light on for info in some areas. I really like What to expect. Any funny little questions that pop up in my mind have always been answered by that book! I have found it quite informative.

I have been thinking about getting something else, more to do with the birth. I think Active Birth may be the way to go!

I also bought 'What to expect...' a bout a month ago....it's really good for DP more than me as this is his first baby. I really want UTD just because I've heard it's so good.

I'm trying to book into AN classes for DP mainly (I've done them before) as I'm worried that the book alone isn't going to be enough.