Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant and Hot Drinks

Peach Guest

Default Pregnant and Hot Drinks

I know I can't drink coffee, and I thought I was allow tea .. but just found out that is not okay either. Is hot choc okay?

I love love love my hot drinks in the evenings Please help what can I drink.

I tried googling and all thecame up with is alcohol related drinking

It's the caffeine content that makes them something to cut down on. I still drank normal english breakfast tea but maximum 1 cup per day. Milo is a good alternative if you like it.

i think different people have differing opinions on this one (if it's caffeine content that's the risk factor here) but i pretty much have still had 1 coffee a day so far and will often have a soft drink (like a pepsi max) that also contains caffeine.

is it something you've read saying not to have tea or is it a recommendation from a doctor?

Where we swim in glitter and play on rainbows

I had no idea that you couldn't drink tea.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that your body can't regulate its temperature when your pregnant. If thats the case I would say hot choccies are out as well
    I know that your not allowed to go in a spa when UTD which I am spewing about cause I just bought 1 and if my IUI has worked I won't be able to go in it for 9 months

Goodluck with your pregnany though

XX
    B

i had both- really just use your own judgment- only about 2 cups a day

I have a hot choc every night. I did when I was pregnant with ds too and he is fine.

Unless your caregiver as specifically told you not to have them for a reason, you can have both in moderation.

From the health channel
    During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the recommended intake is aimed at being under 200mg a day. Some caregivers will use the guide of having less than 5mg of caffeine per kilogram of body weight each day, for men and non-pregnant women. Therefore a person weighing 65 kilograms would have about 325mgs a day.
    Pregnancy - Pregnancy Topics - Caffeine in pregnancy

This is a really good governemnt website for baby stuff in general - here is the link for caffeiene intake.

Peach Guest

Its the caffine in tghe drinks that is bad .. I might just do buy some of that mint hot choccie! YUM!

chocolate has caffeine in it also. Far less than coffee though.

You can get decaf tea and coffee if you are concerned. I didn't like the coffee but drank the tea. I still drank normal coffee and tea when I was pregnant but just kept it to one cup a day. Milo as AJC suggested is a good option as it has iron in it. I drank heaps of it when I was pregnant as I had low iron. My midwife suggested it. Dunno if it did anything but it sure was yummy!

I drink Rooibos tea now that I am pregnant (was an avid tea and coffee drinker before). You can buy it from Coles / Woolworths and it is fine to drink during pregnancy
    Last edited by Life is Good; April 17th, 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo correction

i have a cup of tea most mornings, and another if i'm at mum's. if it's the caffeine, as long as you don't let the tea draw for ages, it will be fine

like most things, it's about moderation. if you're someone that ONLY drinks tea, it's bad, but if you drink water it should be fine. if i have an extra cuppa (when i'm at mum's i might have two in an afternoon) i drink extra water to flush the caffeine through my system. i also still drink coke every now and again - i figure the caffeine is better for me and for bubba than taking pain meds for headaches!

Hot drinks are fine. Of course, everything in moderation, but I had tea, coffee, hot chocolate...

Caffeine is a diuretic, and I'd say that's the issue - that at a time you want to be really well hydrated, you don't want to be encouraging fluids to leave your body. And you don't want a cup of tea before bedtime and then be peeing even more during the night! Just make sure your teas and coffees and on top of your normal drinks (and you should be drinking quite a bit of non-caffeine things to stay well hydrated), and not instead of normal drinks.

Most people won't have to change their tea/coffee habits anyway, if you're a one or two a day kind of person. If you have a coffee or tea every hour, or a super strong coffee in the morning though - then you'd have to reassess your drinks for the duration of pregnancy and early breastfeeding.

I have a booklet called 'Food Saftey during Pregnancy' by the NSW Food Authority. It says that 'pregnant women should limit themselves to 200mg of caffeine daily. That is 2 cups of ground coffee or 2 1/2 cups of instant coffee, 4 cups medium strength tea, 4 cups of cocoa/ hot chocolate or 6 cups of cola' .

I am pregnant and have been having one coffee in the morning as I have been so tired. I sometimes have Earl Grey tea in the afternoons.

Try just having decaf tea or coffee. I drink decaf tea even before I was pregnant, as the caffeine would make me wired at night. About 2-3 cups of instant coffee a day is ok, if you are keeping your fluid intake up to at least 1.5L. Space them out too, so one in the morning, afternoon and evening. Caffeine intake is a concern, but don't let it stop you from having a cuppa when you want. Its a problem if you drink more than 4 cups a day.

Peach Guest

Thanks somuch everyone for your replies!

It's not really the caffine I crave so much .. its just the comfort of a hot drink when I get up in the morning and in the evening when the kids have gone to bed and I am relaxing.

I have found hot chocolate mint flavour .. it is yummy!! Loving it!

Two cups of coffee a day are fine & I think it's something like 4 or 5 cups of ordinary strength tea are OK. I drank tea throughout my pregnancy & coffee in the last month & it didn't cause any issues. The only reason I avoided coffee earlier was that I was drinking way too much of it when I got pregnant so had to go cold turkey to avoid maxing out on caffeine. I think hot choc can have caffeine as well, so like tea & coffee should only be in moderation.

Green tea is a def no-no as it can zap you of folic acid & you'd have to take more than the usual supplement to make up for it.

Cola drinks are bad too. Again, they should only be in moderation.

Some people live on coffee, tea or cola & they are the ones who are risking things, not the average person who might have 3 drinks a day containing caffeine.

Peach Guest

Wow I didn't know about the Green Tea .. I thought it was the good tea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast