Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a scan for no reason

Matryoshka Guest

Default Requesting a scan for no reason

As a public patient, until 15 weeks i'm in GP care.... can i request a scan for no real reason? I just don't feel right and i can't seem to shake the feeling. It may be because i've been so ill but i can't wait 4 more weeks until the 12 week scan, i just want them to have a look and see whats going on. Would this be a valid reason for a referrral?

Ourlux- I am a public patient aswell, my Dr has giving me a scan form but she had to put on it that we need to know how far along I am even though we know cause the gov wont pay for a scan if you just want a scan to put your mind at ease! So you could go down that track or pay for it yourself..maybe talk to your GP.

You might have to pay for the scan if they do a early one. You could always say you have had some bleeding and they should do one to check things are ok.

Matryoshka Guest

I don't want to lie about bleeding... but i guess i feel stupid rocking up to the dr saying something doesn't feel right. And i have read somewhere that sometimes you can not feel attached to your pregnancy when something is wrong. Do you know what i mean?

I think its completely legitimate to request a scan - you might find a female doctor more sympathetic. Or you could try going to your local emergency room? You might hafta wait a while, but make sure you stick to your guns about not feeling right - if you've not been well then something might have happened and its better to find out sooner rather than later, because if nothing else, you stressing is gonna hurt the baby!

Good luck hunni!

Just tell them the truth then that you have not been feeling right and feel that something maybe wrong.
    I know i had a hard time getting a scan when i was pregnant with Alex and that was after having 2 miscarriages. Some doctors just don't like sending you for scans for no real reason.
    The other thing you can say is that you are not sure on your dates and want a dating scan.

Just tell the doc how you feel and you might get lucky. I was sent for a scan after just having a couple of brown spots and it was bulk billed.

What area are you in?? If you're near Perth I'd recommend KEMH, as I've heard great reports about them from friends.

Keep us updated!!!

Matryoshka Guest

I'm booked in to the KEMH birth centre but your first appointment is not until 15 weeks... and i have no direct dealings with the hospital... plus i am too ill to drive that far. I'll have to see my local gp and see what he says.

Some doctors just don't like sending you for scans for no real reason.
    My Dr said they can give you a referal for a early scan if you just wanna have one but you have to pay for it the Gov wont BUT if your unsure of how far you are, have bleeding, really bad cramps etc its paid by gov!

I had 3 "needless" scans with my DD - she was my fourth pregnancy after three losses and I was a nervous wreck. I agree with not lying about bleeding - I always worry I'm tempting fate to do things like that! Like the others have suggested, just explain to your GP that you're really worried and want a scan to put your mind at ease (I don't think you'll be able to get away with not paying for it). Your mental/emotional health is just as important as your physical health.

Having had that "feeling" myself with a pregnancy that turned out not to be right I'm always inclined to encourage women to trust themselves and do whatever they have to to put their mind at ease.

The not knowing is so much worse than actually knowing what you're dealing with kwim? I certainly wouldn't be above a white lie about some bleeding if that's what it took - early bleeding is super common and often no cause is found so there's no way they're going to accuse you of lying even if they scan you and see no obvious cause of any bleeding

I hope you can put your mind at ease, hang in there.

I got a referral for an early scan with pg when I told me Dr. I was really stressed about the viability after my friend had a m/c. If you explain your feelings to your Dr. and say that you are feeling anxious and unure then hopefully they will send you for a scan.

~Belinda~ Guest

I asked my GP for an early scan at 7 weeks. I just had to pay that's all but it wasn't that expensive. I had a previous micarriage 6 years ago though but was just generally concerned. She had a strong heartbeat of 150bpm too when I saw the little jelly bean on the screen! That made me feel much better leading up to the 12 week mark. Good luck in getting an early one

Matryoshka Guest

Thats the thing though, i'm not worried or anxious.... i just feel like something isn't right... and i'm at peace with that, i just want to know. I dunno maybe the hormones are making me nuts.

~Belinda~ Guest

Fair enough I think, nothing wrong with wanting to know, perfectly natural! As far as I am concerned, there is no issues with requesting an early one, you may just need to pay yourself.

I've been for a couple of scans already, and I'm charged $180 each time, of which only $50 is ever refunded from Medicare (i've had a referral each time). Am I being overcharged? I get the feeling some of the rest of you have been able to have scans with no out of pocket expense?

hi ourlux,

i wanted an early scan, just to see how things are...
    my gp said it wasn't nessesary, but i went back and insisted i wanted a refferal.

the excuse i used: i said that as my nuchal scan is booked for 11.5 weeks and its the week before xmas, i wanted a dating scan to confirm my dates. as the nuchal can only be done 11-13wks, i didn't want a situation where i turn up the week b4 xmas, only to be told i was13+ weeks (in which case it'd be too late for a NT scan), or 10 weeks (in which case i'd miss my NT scan because of xmas and NYE!). my gp thinks i'm a lil obsessive on the details, lol but she reffered me.

I had the dating scan last week and found out i was ahead of my dates, but my NT scan can still go ahead as i'll be 12+weeks.

maybe you can try the same reason? you just want to be sure of the exact dates
    the girls are right though - you will have to pay - it cost me $195!!

Jx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast