Thread: Shingles - Don't know if this belongs in this discussion group

Teglian Guest

Default Shingles - Don't know if this belongs in this discussion group

Yesterday I found out (through ultrasound) that I'm 8 weeks pregnant (woo hoo!), now I've told work and they did the whole half harted congrats thing which is fine. But the problem is is one of the blokes at work has recently been diagnosed with shingles, now I've had chickenpox before, but I've read that shingles can be really bad and can actually cause defects in the baby. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem before and what happened? My husband is freaking out at the moment saying this bloke who's got it is endangering not only me but my baby from staying at work and that I should leave if he won't stay at home. I'm really not to sure what I should do here, so please HELP!

Just found this
    Regarding your question: You need not stay away from people with shingles or Chicken Pox if you're immune. Your doctor can do a simple blood test to tell whether you're immune or not. If so, you're O.K. If not, ask your doctor about immunization if you're in early pregnancy.
    Dr. DiLeo
    It's from a baby website. Just be careful, maybe get a blood test to see if you are immune, because Ive had it twice. Once when I was a kid and once as an adult. Maybe you could just stay as far as you can from this guy and check with your ob just to be sure. Good luck!

If you've had chicken pox you should be fine, but as Natalie says, get a blood test if you're worried.
    I would be talking to your boss about why this man was allowed to come to work with shingles.....although, like chicken pox, maybe there's a window for the contagious period and he came back to work when it was safe for the rest of you?

Shingles are NOT contagious in the way Chicken Pox are. I've got a rare case of recurrent shingles and nobody has EVER caught them off me. What happens with shingles is the chicken pox virus, after you get it, lays dormant in your spinal fluid pretty much forever. In cases of extreme stress or illness on the body, the virus comes out of hiding and you get the rash/pain/itching/blisters that is shingles.

I worked in a nursing home and a lady had shingles.I just made sure i had a blood test to make sure i had immunity,which i did.I thought that you had to touch the blisters to be able to get the virus. Shingles are so painful and i feel for anyone who gets it.

DIsGirl is spot on. I dont believe Shingles is a contagious form of chicken pox, but its still worth being careful.
    I believe in all routine blood screening for newly pregnant mums they test for Varicella, which is the chicken pox virus. So that should give you an indication of your level of immunity.
    My XH got a bout of shingles when we were going through a stressful time. It was incredibly painful for him, but I dont remember thinking I was going to catch it. I think he had to take panadiene forte for the pain.
    I'm sure it will be OK - but just let your medical provider know next time, or even if you are worried,just give them a call.