Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slice sandwich meats

Rory, I have a friend who just had her second baby, and just before she was born we were at a bbq and she was hoofing down the brie etc. Someone asked her about it and she said "hello, I'm nearly full term, nothing can happen now". I just thought "you silly girl, still born babies are what can happen now" but obviously wasn't going to blurt that out in the middle of a bbq!

She also ate ham all throughout both pregnancies and is generally a lot more relaxed about it than me. I guess it's a very personal thing, some people just think that losing a baby can't happen to them, unfortunately I know it can happen to me and I just won't risk it for the sake of my tastebuds.

Shoegal - I'd give that chicken a miss in a big way being prg. The guidelines say to avoid anything that's been cooked and refrigerated for over 12 hours and chicken is dodgy at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean
    OK, another case of listeria hysteria, it wasn't on the forbidden list ten years ago in my 1st PG but now that it is, I've been pretty careful about it!
    Glad you've been careful about it so far for this PG but to label it "Lysteria Hysteria" is sending a message that maybe this isn't as bad as it seems.

Women have lost their babies due to this bug.

In fact when I was attending my ante natal classes there was a lady who lost her baby at 27 weeks due to Lysteria at the same hospital I was attending.

I was going to ask the same question Suga. Before pregnancy i almost always brought a sandwich with some kind of deli meat on it - i'm already running out of ideas on what to bring to work for lunch!

Well to be honest..I think it is possible to worry too much about what you're eating. I realise there is a risk, but most things you don't have to cut out completely, you just have to be careful. In regards to the chicken breast, if you buy it fresh, cook it yourself, and then put it in an airtight container in the fridge, it is fine to have the next day. And that it verified by the food standard leaflet on listeria (many thanks to whomever it was who provided that tip )

In fact I just bought some chicken, and I intend to cook it, chop it up and have it on a roll tomorrow with lettuce, red onion and avocado...mm....

Lisa xx

Quote Originally Posted by sirenz View Post
    i too am staying clear of anything like ham and stuff like that

last night we took mum to a seafood all you can eat for mothers day. I had to stick to the other food they had there. it was horrible watching everyone enjoy their king prawns and all that
    Are prawns a no-no?? (Thinking about the mass quantity of prawns I ate at a wedding a month ago... Glad bub is ok!).

The thing I miss the most is fetta.... I'm not really into Camembert etc. - but creamy Danish fetta... I'm making myself crave it just thinking about it...

Lunch ideas?

I take left-overs from the night before & reheat in the staffroom microwave until they are hot. Or, those tinned/cartoned soups that you can cook in the microwave.

(The less healthy option is to go for something like Oportos, rather than a salad bar - at least you know the chicken is cooked & hot etc). I usually ask them for no lettuce, so they have to cook it fresh.

Otherwise, I make up a sandwich at home that I can toast in the sandwich press (sliced meats are ok if they are cooked) - tinned tuna/salmon, tomato & cheese; ham & cheese; vegemite & cheese (yeah, not a traditional toastie - but a personal favourite!!) - and my current obsession - baked beans & cheese (which I'm having for breakfast every morning - it's contributing well to my daily fibre intake - which I'm working hard to increase!!).

Mezzz Guest

My brother is a Government Health Inspector (thus an expert in this type of thing) and when I asked him about Listeria he emailed me the following...

"If you have to eat cold meats like ham etc, buy the packet ones like Don etc rather than buying it from the deli. Cooking kills any Listeria that may be in foods. Avoid soft cheeses, but again, if you have to, buy them in packages from reputable brands rather than loose from the deli."
    This link is very helpful...
    http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/health/ide...eria_facts.htm

(P.S - I am living on egg and lettuce sandwhiches or tinned tuna and salad sandwhiches for lunch)

lj268 Guest

Thumbs up WOW

Well.......i had no idea about the cold meat thing! I have been having cold meat often thru-out this pregnancy, and come to think of it, all my other 5 pregnancies that survived! How scary to find that out.
    I mainly do toast my sangas, like have toasted ham and cheese, but often munch on the cold meat before I put it on the sanga. I think I will stop having cold meats now, seeing as tho I had two m/c's two years ago and I am hoping that this bub is going to make it thru the whole pregnancy with no probs.
    It is a very worrying time for me as I have made it past the m/c dates of the last pgs, but just have my fingers crossed that all goes well this time round.
    Thanks for that info, as I had no idea about the cold meat!
    Good luck all with your pregnancies.
    lj

michamum Guest

Hi Fran

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Yes cold meats are a no, no. I fortunately had cravings for cheese and fruit chutney sandwiches!! Once I had my little one, I ordered a ham sandwich as soon as I could

Just make sure any meats are heated up.

Hi there,
    I had a read of the Govt listeria web site - very interesting. And it was saying that by heating to 70 degrees that listeria is killed. So does that mean that you are actually allowed to eat hot dog frankfurts. I originally thought that I couldn't because it is pre-cooked???
    What do you think?

Well, you should avoid stuff that is kept hot over a long period of time (eg. hot dogs at Wendys, or a servo). But if you buy a packet of hot dogs from the supermarket & cook them yourself, they should be ok (bacon is ok, so I don't see why frankfurts wouldn't be). Anyone else??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12