Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slice sandwich meats

Default Slice sandwich meats

Hi girls,
    I'm 9 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
    Just wondering what the deal is with eating sandwich meats like ham, turkey. Are they really a NO NO?
    Thanks.
    Fran

Yep. It's best not to risk it!

Cool, thanks Sam! :-) better grab a vegemite and cheese roll then.

ej_1974 Guest

during my first pg i was concerned what I could and couldn't eat, especially as so many of my friends told me what I shouldn't be eating - it was almost as if lettuce and water were going to be my sole diet, so I asked my OB. He immediately put my mind at ease my telling me for the meat/fish department if its raw don't eat it and stay away from soft cheese, otherwise eat what you want.

I am happily well into my second pg and haven't had any problems and I pretty much eat what I feel like but if i think something looks dodge I dont touch it.

Good luck and enjoy being pregnant

Def a no no - i am so hanging for some i am 28 weeks and i cant wait until hes out so i can gorge on that stuff - i am so hanging for an italina BMT from subway yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Altho if you heat it up until its steaming you can eat it .... not the same tho... i know.

Good luck with your pregnancy ..

I still eat ham and turkey breast in my sandwiches but I toast them at work. I eat ham on pizza as well.

Meegm - i'm with you with the BMT Italian Sub - yummmo

But, yes, unfortunatly, its all out! Some peoples say that if you store it correctly, wrapped in cloth (like a leg of ham) then its ok, as it gets to breath proberly, and doesnt sweet. But, i say, its only a short time - dont risk it.
    I know others that will slice it thin, and cook , and eat immediatly, but, yeah, its not the same.
    The risk of listeria is slight, but, why take the chance?

Listeria (and other baddies) are killed by heat, I precook my ham and then have it in a toastie!

OK, another case of listeria hysteria, it wasn't on the forbidden list ten years ago in my
    1st PG but now that it is, I've been pretty careful about it!

Listeria is one of those bugs that is heat sensitive, so I do sometimes zap a slice of ham in the microwave until it's sizzling and then indulge! Likewise for salami on your woodfired pizza. However, make sure it's super fresh. Same goes for other cold meat (ie left over chicken, roast meat, etc) make sure it has been stored properly and eat it the next day!

If you want some official reading, google Listeria food standards australia, and the 1st hit will be their guidelines on what to avoid and more importantly, what you can still safely have!

Oh dear, I have been eating ham that you get from the supermarket in the fridge section like the Hans brand. Is that bad?

Tinsel, it is only bad if you eat a batch and develop listeria, and listeria is pretty rare. I know heaps of women who eat soft cheese, ham, oysters, smoked salmon, the works - and have no problems. But personally I don't want to risk losing a bub for the sake of my tastebuds. It's a small risk, sure, but one I don't want to take.

Which means I spend 9 months hanging out for blue vein, brie, oysters and smoked herrings!!

I'm the same, I won't risk it. Not worth it to me for a bit of ham on my sandwich.

i third that girls

You know the scary part about listeria? When I was about 37 weeks pg with Flynn I asked my OB if I could have some brie, figuring that bub was big enough to look after itself if anything "should happen" ie: went into labour early. well, my OB said that the risk of miscarriage turns into a risk of still birth as the pg progresses. How amazing is it that right up to the end their little lives are so dependant upon you. It is a truly humbling thing, to carry a child.

i too am staying clear of anything like ham and stuff like that

last night we took mum to a seafood all you can eat for mothers day. I had to stick to the other food they had there. it was horrible watching everyone enjoy their king prawns and all that

Also i am hanging out for salami and my brie (i miss it soooo much)

I could do without the ham and soft cheese, it's the nori rolls that I'm really missing!! I should learn to make my own...

Right, ham sandwiches are off the menu. I am hanging for nori rolls too - yuuummmm.

So if I cooked a chicken breast tonight then put it in the fridge, could it be eaten tomorrow, cold?

(Not PG, just asking for when it does happen!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast