Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultrasounds

Nadine,

I am in Melbourne, going to Werribee Mercy which is a public hospital so everything associated with the birth is bulk billed. My OB delivers there although he charges for consultations, $80 per visit and I get $25 or so back... thats with safety net as well.

Scans, my first one at 12 weeks I wasn't happy with as my first OB (I have sinced changed) wrote N&T on the referral which means the fold test checking for down syndrome... without asking me mind you. Because he wrote that the scan cost $90 and we couldn't claim any back from medicare.

The next scan at 20 weeks was $120 and we receive almost all of it back (can't remember the final amount)

HTH

nellbe

Quote Originally Posted by nellbe
    Scans, my first one at 12 weeks I wasn't happy with as my first OB (I have sinced changed) wrote N&T on the referral which means the fold test checking for down syndrome... without asking me mind you. Because he wrote that the scan cost $90 and we couldn't claim any back from medicare.

nellbe

With my first preg my GP sent me for the 12 week U/s & the sonographer actually asked me why I was there & I said becasue i'm pregnant :-s and she yeah but why are you having u/s done? :-k she totally baffled me. I just said because im pregnant again.
    With 2nd preg i had to kick & scream to get 12 week u's done. First dr told me its not standard and wont be bulk billed & I have to wait till 18 weeks. Told midwife when I booked in to hospital and she said yeah thats fine just get your GP to write a referal. Went to a Different Dr ( my now regular GP) and again she gave me a big run around to get it done. I had to agree to a D/S scan other wise it wouldn't be done. I just wanted to see my babie was growing with 2 arms 2 legs and a head! gees. Even my Ob commented on me having a 12 week u/s and when he asked me what i would have done if it came back as a high risk for d/s i said stright out it would have been hard but I would have terminated. He just sat back and went "Oh....... well then its justified then!" WTF? any way my point is im pretty sure a standard 12 week u/s isn't actually standard & it needs to be a scan for a reason and medicare wont cover it either way, at least this is what I was told.

Makes sense Fiona, maybe that's why he did it then? At least he could have told me and yes I should have asked but I didn't realise until after the scan was done. - that I wasn't getting any money back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12