Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight gain

Default weight gain

now i know that we are told we should gain between 10-15kg (on average) throughout the pregnancy, but how much should you (or did you) gain during each trimester?

Hi Misty,

They say that the average weight gain during pregnancy is somewhere between 9-13kgs from the books i have read. I like the weight gain you were told better though.

I can't remember exactly how much weight i put on in each trimester but i know i put on a huge 19kgs with my first pregnancy, this pregnancy i have just reached the 13kg mark and i only have 10 days to go so i am stoked this time.

How far along are you? And how much weight have you gained so far?

Take care Leah

hi misty,

i was particularly worried about this myself at the beginning of this pg, and even my OB said an insensitive comment about it....

So, any way - this is the 'recommended': 0-1kg in the first tri, then 1/2 - 1kg per week until the third tri. actually i cant remember it exactly, will have to look it up again.

But the reason i cant really remember it is because - it doesnt matter!!!! as long as bubs grows at the right rate, your weight doesnt matter much at all - they are the exact words of my GP.

I put on 5kg by 17 weeks (which is when my OB said 'wow, most women havent put on any weight at all by now, andonly put on 10 kg in their entire pg, so you are already half way there!) that really upset me. i had had awful MS and just didnt feel like exercising at all, let alone eating healthily. i then put on 3 kg in the next 3 weeks. anyway, in the last 10 weeks i have only put on 1.5kg and was then worried i was not putting on enough, which is when my lovely dr put my mind at ease and basically said, if you are being healthy, dont stress about it.

i feel really good now, i have put on 9.5kg in 33 weeks, but i am feeling really healthy and good (as good as you can while pg LOL)

try not to stress about it as i did!!! just be healthy and enjoy your pg,

Linda

Linda - thanks for your reply it made me feel better.

i think the reason i am concerned is because i am not eating healthy (rather i am eating chocolate everything). however my weight gain has been about 1kg a week (sometimes a little more though) since i entered my second trimester, so that doesn't sound too bad.

Jillian - i have a feeling i am going to be one of those people who gain lots too, it is very reassuring to know that you lost it afterwards.

westy - i am about 20 and a half weeks pregnant. i will refrain from saying how much i actually weigh :-# but lets just say its not pretty. i started off at a size 16 (although proportionate slender 16) which is why i am worried.

my younger sister has gained over 25kg (she is due next week) but she was a skinny size 8 and underweight by 4kg to begin with.

misty - 1kg a week doesnt sound bad at all. really try not to worry - easier said than done i know!!!

i know what you mean about the 'chocolate everything' - story of my pg!!!

just remember, you can lose it again afterwards, this is a time to enjoy weight gain!!! sounds wierd, but it is!

all the best,

Linda

Linda your ob would have me livid! Thats absurd! I have spoken to many many women, who have had various things happen for various pregnancies...some women gain alot at the start and slow down to a near stop after 2nd tri, others gain nothing in the first 2 tri's and gain it all in the last tri.

Roughly 12-15 kgs is average as far as I know...

8- 10 kgs is if you are already overweight (you tend to gain less, as your body doesn't require as much breastfeeding stores)

And can be anywhere up to 20-30 kgs for someone who started their pregnancy underweight as the body goes into overdrive to store extra breastfeeding stores.

As for where the weight is distributed:

The uterus is about 1 - 1.5 kg

Amnio is about 1000mls (roughly a kg)

Placenta is about 500gms

Extra Blood flow is about 1.5 kgs

Extra breast tissue can be up to 500gms

And for those women that have bf'ing stores between 2-5 kgs

And water retention can be 500mls to 1.5 ltrs (500 gms to 1.5 kgs)

Oops nearly forgot the most important thing LOL the baby most books these days say an average of 3-4 kgs but that varies greatly of course

This info was in a mag I had when pg with Paris.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I tend to have body image issues, and as a result I have not voluntarily stepped on scales since I was about 16... The first time I saw the midwife, I got weighed, but I haven't been since, so I have no idea how much I've gained. I figure that as long as I'm healthy and the baby is growing at about the right rate everything should be fine. I am more focussed on trying to eat reasonably healthy food (hard to do sometimes!) and stay as active as I can

I have huge body issues too. I weighed myself after 3 months this time and had put on over 10kilos, so will not weigh again. People say they can't notice (except my boobs) I guess Im lucky because Im tall. I dont feel as though I've put on heaps since though. I think it's normal to gain up to 30 kilos and would not worry what you gain. Mine is pretty much all from eating, but I don't care Im going to make the most of being able to eat what I want when I want!!!!
    xoxoxo

Mandimoo Guest

Hey everyone...

I was probably 5 kg overweight in the beginning and from being so sick with m/s i ended up losing 6 kg in the first trimester and wasnt my pre pregnancy weight until about week 28. Now i have put on about 7 kilos since week 28. Most pregnancy books say you sometimes your weight becomes stable or may even lose some from week 36 as you baby is mature. Lets hope this is true.
    Good luck to you all!!

Amanda xoxo

I'm with Amanda! With my 1st I was overweight to begin with and lost 10kg's by 16 weeks...and I wasn't sick or anything, I was stoked! After dd was born, I ended up weighing less than before I fell pregnant \/ To be honest, it was the motivation I needed to lose the extra weight after I had the baby.

Can't say the same for this pregnancy tho. At 8 1/2 weeks, I feel like I'm eating constantly and can't see that I'll be losing weight any time soon...BUMMER!

All I can say, is don't worry about putting on weight during your pregnancy, a lot of the time you lose quite a bit of it breastfeeding anyway. Enjoy this time of eating what your body is craving (but don't go overboard!) coz after bubs is born, you'll be back to wanting to watch everything that goes in your mouth!

Belly rubs for all!

Bel

Oh - one more thing - remember some of the weight that you put on is fluid retention as well.

Bel

I was underweight by at least 5kg when I fell pg, and throughout my whole pg I put on a whopping 38-40kg 8-[
    And I think I pretty much gained the same amount eash trimester (10kg +)

I have put on 19kg so far and am not worrying about it to much, I figure my body will do what it needs to do and as someone said earlier, as long as the bub is growing well then it just doesnt matter

Breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed - thats all i can say !!! Whilst i only gained 15 kgs in last pregnancy, i had lost that weight by the time i walked out of hospital with DD. Breastfeeding is the best way to loose some of that pregnancy fat - your burning up loads of energy by just sitting on the lounge feeding baby.

And like the other girls said, DONT stress about the weight thing during pregnancy - you have the rest of your life to worry about it. I know its nice to know how much women have put on in each trimester, so you can compare, but honestly everyone is different. Just dont let it (food and weight) rule your pregnancy. My SIL ate like a pig during her pregancy (and knew it) put on 30kgs and all she did was complain once baby was born about how fat she was, instead of enjoying bubs -PLEASE !!!

Enjoy your how your body is changing - its for a reason......

I was 70kg and size 12 before I fell pregnant...39 weeks later I tip the scales at 96.5kg.

WHO CARES!! not me...

the main thing is that you & baby are both healthy and not going hungry.

Don't worry about the chocolate thing, your body will tell you if it is needing more of something else.

Pearl

I can't remember how much i put on with DS but i don't think it was a great deal as i barely looked 6 months when i had him. This one on the other hand i hate to admit it but i think i have already gained about 5 or 6kgs. I know that sounds heaps but in my defence i had no M/s just nausea and i ate like a pig from about week 4-6 and again just last week had another starving phase where i could't stop eating :eat: . I am hoping i don't end up the size of a cow......But i do agree with the breastfeeding thing. I was a size 14 before pgy with DS and a 14E bra size when i had him, by the time i finished feeding him i was a 10-12 with a 12c bra size!!! I have been told though it doesn't work as well the next time around. #-o

I think everyone is different and as long as bubs is growing well i wouldn't be too concerned either way. As long as you are healthy bubs should be too.

Kas

I don't think you have cause for concern - everyone is differant. I'm not sure how they come up with the idea of an average weight gain since there is no such thing as an average women.
    When Yasin was concieved I weighed about 50kg the day before he was born I wieghed 75kg so I had put on half my body wieght!!! By the time that number 2 was concieved I was back down to around 50kg without bothering to diet or workout.
    Just so long as you are healthy I think the best option is not to weigh yourself. The only reason I know my weight at the end of my pregnancy is because I was bored and there were scales in the hospital corridor. Other than that time my midwives never weighed me so it was never an issue.

Sal Guest

Good advice dachlo! I was starting to panic as I had my first antenatal clinic @ 18w and there is a public weighing-in ceremony :shock:. I don't usually weigh myself so I got a very rude shock at how much weight I had put on. I started to stress about it and tried to restrict my eating, but that made me completely feral with my moodiness. My mum then gave me the best advice: don't worry about how much you're eating but just try to make sure that everything that you put in your mouth is good for both you and for baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast