Thread: Weight gain in the first trimester

Default Weight gain in the first trimester

I'm a bit worried - just did weights and measures this morning. So far, my body is showing no difference at all! OK, I have bumpling, but that's not at my waist yet so not measured.

Pre-preg: 33-26-34, 10st10 (62kg)
    5-6w preg: 34-27-35, 10st10
    NOW, 13w4d: 34-27-35, 10st10

I've had no morning sickness, well OK once, but that's unimportant, been eating what I want when I want, snacking in the evenings, and nothing has changed! I still even have a waist, which should be going by now. What's wrong with me? I'm sure I should have put on some weight, even without pregnancy I usually fluxuate between 61-65kg, now I'm stuck at 62. I really thought something would have changed by now!

Anyone else had this, or are you all gloriously huge-chested and gained 5kg? I know I've said I didn't want to show early, but I did want a chest!

Melody Guest

Average weight gain for first tri is 2k. What is an average pregnancy? I dont think there is one.... believe me, you will gain weight when you need to.

Ryn, I was the same as you in first trimester. Actually lost weight rather than gained. Don't worry ... it will happen, trust me!

Ryn, I would think yourself lucky - I'm 9 weeks and according to my doctors scales (which are different to where i weighed myself prepregnancy) I've put on 6 kg already - must say had a bit of a freak attack! Haven't been eating bad but just not doing much due to fatigue - needless to say, i am now making sure i go for a walk most days. Don't stress - i'm sure your time will come.

LOL Ryn!!! Unfortunately i didn't get a chest until my milk came in after bubs was born!
    I wouldn't worry about ur weight gain...there's still plenty of time. I only gained 5kgs in my preg and didn't have a baby bump til mid 2nd trimester. I guess different bodies handle preg in different ways

Rae, my heroine!

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to stop worrying... it's just that without the scans and the blood test, I'd be sat back in pre-conception saying "It's been 14 weeks! Where's AF?" so I'd like some sort of signal from my body that something's happening. I suppose I have been keeping up with my exercise, at least I've had an excuse to lay off the sit-ups (which I would have been increasing like mad if I didn't know).

Nope Ryn - don't worry. I lost 10kgs up until Caitlyn was born. My gynae said underweight women often gain quickly and those a *little heavier* seem to lose. It is the body's way of evening things out. Plus your metabolism increases so if you are still exercising but eating the same you may have lost weight with the increase in metabolism but the baby stuff is extra and so it balances out to being the same weight IYKWIM. Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Percy Guest

I haven't put on any weight either Ryn. But my boobs have incresed by two cup sizes so goodness knows where that weight has come from!!

Percy, I'm so jealous! I still need gel-filled bras so I can pretend I have a chest! I'm already borderline underweight (I'm 1.8m tall) so I thought I'd be gaining weight like mad... nope. I've cut down on exercise quite a lot now DH's family are making him look after me (like I can drive to work 4 days a week, not walk!) and only do lo-impact aerobics once a week, not hi-impact twice (and no more daily sit-ups!). Ah well, it will come... I just have to accept that Liebling is a Stealth Baby and maybe I wasn't supposed to have realised anything yet.

Adsmum Guest

Hi.

I too agree with the other girls about not gaining any weight. I've lost 2kg in a week (now 51kg) & after seeing my OB tuesday he informed me that its nothing to worry about unless I cant keep down any food/ water as then dehydration becomes a worry & placing me into hospital would be the only option (no thank you).

I'm expecting twins yet haven't got a tummy (im very flat) & most girls who are in the same position as me have a tiny bump already.

I don't gain anything in first trimester and then maybe 1-2kg between about 14-20 weeks. After that I pack it on.
    Perfectly normal, when you think about it baby+uterus+fluid really don't weigh more than a few hundred grams in first tri. Don't worry.

Thanks girls, I should stop reading about what my body is doing right now and just start to see what it is doing... two very different things!

I do feel a bit like this pregnancy isn't giving me any signs or doing anything "normal" and after a few months I'd like just one thing like other people! All I can do is join in with people who say "I've not got that". I've also had DH tell me off for not putting on weight so that's made me more nervy... then again, I should know by now that when he takes it into his head to worry about something there's nothing to worry about.

Ryn,
    Just a question, Has DH been putting on weight? I know this may sound weird but my DF put on most of the weight when i was preg with my DS. I only put on 5kg, where he put on about 10kg. So maybe your DH is getting all the weight.
    And dont stress bout the lack of your bump, as it sounds to me that you were quite fit before falling preg, so your stomach will be a little sturdier than mine for instance. I have no control over my stomach muscles and i am getting the rounded look. And the BB issue, Oh i am so envious of you! I wish i had to wear gel bras! Im a DD and i can tell you that my BBs are sooo heavy its not funny. You will get them, Just might take some time thats all.
    Jenni

No, DH hasn't gained weight, but then I don't gain weight before my period either, and my skin has just started to clear up now. Actually, although I was prepared for the linea nigra - more than prepared, I've had one for 11 years - even the sides of my stomach are hairy now. Freaked the two of us out this morning, both of us are getting more and more hair. I swear I'm going to give birth to a malnourished gorilla! But with 4 meals a day and very regular lavatorial habits I keep telling DH it's not my fault I don't gain weight. At least DH has said the bumpling is noticable now, although he's the only person this weekend who thought so, clearly people don't realise how flat I was before! But I did pump up my chest a lot and use make-up to give myself a cleavage too, so at least I wasn't looking just fat! As for the chest, I am determined to be happy, at least I can still wear all my normal clothes. I'll just sit tight for another month, but DH has said that he wants to discuss it with the midwife when we see her in about 4 weeks, so I hope that something changes soonish!

I lost 2kg in the first trimester from morning sickness,and didn't put it back on til start of 2nd trimester.

Although my boobs did seem bigger straight after my bfp, they didn't go up a cup size or anything as I didn't need new bras straight away.

I'm 12 weeks and havent put on any weight at all. In fact, I actually lost 3 kg's from not being able to keep any food down. Now that has eased a bitand I think I am not losing weight anymore. I dont have scales so I no idea if I am back at my "normal" weight.
    My boobs are a whole cup size bigger now!!! And I am starting to get a little bump. But I dont think I've put on any weight at all yet.

Hi guys,
    I am 14 weeks, and i have gone up 1 cup size, and threatening to explode out the next size as well!!. I had lost weight before conception, and gone down a cup, and bra size,,,,now i have gone back to the original cup size, but the bra aroung the mdrift is still too big. So i am now back up to a DD, and looking like having to go up again!! :eek: God help me when my milk comes in!!!! Poor baby will have to have a huge mouth lol. I feel like a cross between Dolly Parton and Pamela Anderson (not that bad, but they are so sore, and annoyingly getting in the way,,,,soo heavy too)
    I have a nice rounded out belly, and have actually lost 1 kilo from my pre-pregnancy state, so my doctor thinks i have actually lost around 3 kilos, but put on about 2 for the baby (if that makes sense??) as all is well, and i havent actually thrown up this pregnancy, just felt absolutely rottenly sick.
    I wouldnt worry about losing weight, or not putting it on, as long as baby is well.

with xander i didnt put on any weight until 3rd tri.. then i put on 25kg!! (I was severely underweight, weighed only 45kg and im 175cm tall) and your boobs will grow when you start breastfeeding... i'm usually as a/b cup, and i go to a b/c cup when i bf!!