Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you tell people?

lolkimbaz after reading u wernt telling till 12-16 weeks not so long ago! its hard isnt it!
    both times we have told immediate family pretty much straight away. last time we also told close friends, then work and other friends we got to about 11 weeks before telling!

Nickers-I know!! im good with everyone elses secrets.....but not my own LOL

Ah well i figure if something was to ever happen id have alot of support on here....and with family. But im hoping nothing will turn nasty.....but the support on here got me thru my last pregnancy...so heres to hoping it does again!!!

we kept the secret to ourselves for a full 7.5 days and then it was just too much to bear, so we told all of our family and friends at just 5 weeks and 1 day pregnant!
    i would have preferred to only tell our families (not friends), but a few had to know out of necessity (they would have guessed because i wasn't drinking), and i'm sure a fwe of them would have leaked the news, so we just told everyone. the only people we haven't told is my work. not sure how that's going to go down (work in a very male-dominated profession), so am waiting until the 10-week mark (we have a work funtion on, and they'll force feed me alcohol unless i tell them)...

i found it REALLY hard keeping the secret to myself, and felt a whole lot better once we had told people. ideally, it would be better if we could have just told our family and some close friends, but because our friends are all so inter-related, word would have got around anyway...

the only reason that we wouldn't want people to know is in the case where we decide to terminate on medical grounds (don't want people to judge us), but if that happens, we will just say that i miscarried...

i am so lucky that we have such supportive families (on both sides). we didn't worry at all about anyone's reactions... although, i think if i had got pregnant before marriage my dad would have been a bit miffed, but he would have got over it - how could he not love his own flesh and blood?!

I was 6 weeks when I found out, and had to tell work within a couple of days as I work with chemicals and there are some things I cannot touch while pregnant. We waited until after the blood test to tell immediate family, and will wait until after the 12 week scan to tell everyone else.

#1 my mum and DH found out straight away. Couple days alter told PIL then at 15 weeks told my dad.

#2 Told PIL at 6 weeks coz i needed her to take me to an u/s. Told my mum at 7 weeks and my dad at around 11-12 weeks.

With my first pregnancy I told everyone who would listen before the wee had dried (lol) This time, just because of my history I am like Clare and only telling people after my 19 week scan. It is easy becuase I have just moved States so I don't have to try to hide the bump. I was talking to DH about this last night and I might tell my Mum and Dad, big Sister and closest girlfriend after the 12 week scan. I am very close to them, but know the minute I tell them they are going to be sick with worry so I wan't to be able to tell them that all is fine.

Oh and of course DH and all you gals know. Oh and I told my dogs Frank and Vinnie as soon as I saw that line.

I am sorry that you are so worried about telling your dad. Although I didn't experience the same thing, in my experience (coming from a Catholic family) the excitment of becoming a Grandparent will overcome any strict religious rule. If not, then bad luck, you deserve to be excited and eventually your Dad and G'parents are going to have to accept your child or just stick their nose out of your business.

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12