Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you tell people?

Default When did you tell people?

When did you (if you have) told people that you were pregnant? I really want to wait till the first trimester is over (mainly because of my father) just incase a miscariage occurs.

When do you think is the best time to tell people? The thought of telling my father makes me sick (very aggressive arrogant person who stated if I ever fell preg before marriage to someone he approved of it was off to the abortion clinic (good luck gettin me there lol)). How did you handle troublesome relatives and friends?

CelticMoon

well we told ppl that we knew would be supportive almost straight away... so we would have ppl to talk about it with... there are some ppl still that we are not sure when we will tell ie dps father, for the same reasons you are worried and a few more conservative family members or friends but its nice to be able to share the news with ppl u know will be positive about it

We told everyone almost straight away. I felt that if something was to occur then I would have the support then having people continue asking me if I was pregnant yet. KWIM...?
    I can understand your reservations about telling, it's really an individual thing. I personally couldn't keep my mouth shut if I tried.

we told immediate family only, and dh told his boss/best mate, and i told my boss's - some family members choose to tell others despite our wishes thou, which annoyed me abit. After the 12week scan, we told everyone else.
    A friend of my SIL was 2 weeks behind me, and she lost her bub at about 8 weeks, and she told absolutly everyone, and i felt for her, not only for having lost the baby, but for now having to deal with telling people what had happened.

Next time - we not telling anyone, even family, till the 12 weeks are up. Except for the 1 or 2 really close friends that we can trust.

I told my parents and DH parents straight away....and then a week later told everyone else.. i couldnt hold it in!!!

Next time im not telling anyone (except a close friend and probably parents) until at least 12-16 weeks.

bec81 Guest

We haven't told anyone yet. I am about 5 and 1/2 weeks according to the scan today.
    I'm off to see my normal doc later in the week and we will then tell immediate family this weekend. I can't wait to tell my mum as she thinks I am a bit crazy at the moment when I think my hormones are making crazy. I really can't stand to me around a lot of noise at the moment either.

we told everyone almost straight away... the family we told the same day
    If anything happens I felt it was good that everyone new so that way we would have heaps of support... and also they would have understood if we just wanted to deal with it on our own but I think they felt good and special that we told them all so early.

I feel that it helps to get your fears off your chest.. that way they are out in the universe and expelled from your mind and heart... what ever the universe returns to us is the unknown... but at least we are some what prepared when we have shared our fears

thats my thoery anyway

xoxoxoxo

I have told two friends of mine, one of which told their partner who is a loud mouth I wasn't too impressed about I'm just hoping he can keep his mouth shut. The father has told his sister and best friend and that's all that know so far obviously except all you guys lol. I really want to tell my mum, but she couldn't keep things to herself if she was offered a million dollars to do so. My dad also hates the person I'm with so it is going to make life very stressful and interesting for a while...

Did you tell them in person? Phone calls? SMS's? E-mails? I'm thinking emails after leaving the country lol (just kidding) :-)

we told the ppl we have told in person except one friend which was over the phone

hi celticmoon!
    we told our closet friends and family as soon as we found out we were way to excited to keep it in!
    i can totally understand your delima my DH father is just like your dad! he has never cared about us at all so my DH never told his parents straight away and when he did we never heard from his father!it is an ongoing battle with his family!
    all i can say is just be really positive as it will rub off on bub! and tell who you feel will be the most supportive! will be thinking of you and sending lots of good energy your way!
    good luck!

Thanks heaps boomba *hugs* and everyone else. I know the fathers parents are going to be a problem as well as they are very VERY catholic and we will be attacked with stakes and holy water on arrival (ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration), well will probably just never speak to their son again. I know my mum and grandparents (well one set) will be fine, my dad may never speak to me again but he hated me while I lived at home so it will probably just go back to how it was then.

I find it very hard not to tell everyone everything i am an open book and keep having people ask me what's wrong I want to run down the street skipping yelling "im going to have a baby!" lol but just can't bring myself to do it yet..

We told our parents and soem immediate family pretty much straight away. Our parents knew withing a few days. We told some more family and a few friends around the 8-10 weeks mark. I told my boss at about 12 or 13 weeks.
    I still think there are some people that dont know, but I've lost track who we have and havent told lol.

We told my DHs family via phone as they live a fair distance away. And we told my family in person mainly. Everyone else was whenever I was talking to them next. I did send a photo frame to my Grandparents with a note inside saying 'Reserved for baby due 28th Sept' I got that idea from one of the great ladies on this site.
    You could try maybe sending a baby balloon out or invite people over and have a balloon on the letter box.

we told DH parents face to face, and my immediate family face to face. DH's sisters found out via text msg. We where planning on telling them on the phone, but, we where left feeling alittle flat after telling DH that we told them cause we knew they would be excited for us.. One of my SIL i had to tell via email, and she rang me up like seconds latter - hyperventalating i am sure with excitment. Most family found out word of mouth, which took the joy abit away from us.
    Everyone else, mostly we told via text, except for a few closer friends, and 1 in particular that has been trying for 5 years, we wanted to be abit more sensitative with her.
    SOmetimes i think my inlaws suck, but they not so bad, esp when i hear things like what Celticmoon has said, and others, mine arnt so bad after all. Big hugs to you guys that have that extra burden to carry.

We told family members and some close select friends first. And I told DP not to tell anyone else until the first trimester was over but with him being really excited about it, that didnt happen!! So by 12 wks everyone knew.

We told everyone face to face and then rang DP's family in NZ to tell them the news.

clare076 Guest

Well I told Michelle and everyone else on BB, days before I even told my DP!
    as far as family, we have only told my mum / dad and DP's mum / and bf. We both told our bosses before anyone else mainly because of all the trouble we had with Max and the need for extra ultrasounds and hospital appointments therefore time off work.

We probably wont be telling anyone else until after we receive the results of our NT scan, and then it will only be very close family and friends. Once we have the 18 week anatomy scan I might be ready to tell everyone else.

For those who chose to not tell was it really hard for you? I keep going to tell people then needing to stop myself lol.

Clare I love your baby gaga sig "my mummy's uterus is almost the size of a grapefruit, which she'd like to throw at daddy right about now.." priceless!

LOL this time i told before i even have doctors confirmation!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast